1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Happauge DVB products

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by RecoilUK, Jan 21, 2003.

1. RecoilUK

RecoilUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

I got a TV card the other day, a Pinacle PCTV Rave, and to be honest i,m not particularly happy with the results i,m getting, which is probably down to the fact its a coaxial analogue signal being displayed full screen on a pc monitor.

Now then, to my question, hope someone can help.

I,ve been looking at the Happauge range of products for recieving the free-to-air digital channels currently available. primarily the WinTV Nova-t (PCI) and the new DEC-2000 which is now available.

Has anyone any experience with these 2 products, basically i,m trying to gauge picture quality, the connections on the cards and the recording quality, what type of drivers are they (WDM?) also do they work with showshifter as i,ve just downloaded it and think its really good despite the annoying fact that I cant select my SPDIF output for DVD.

Thanks guys, look forward to reading your responses.

RecoilUK

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've had both a Hauppage Nova-T and DEC2000t (which are made by Technotrend in germany), both are reasonable hardware but are let down by *very* poor software, it crashes all the time, installs network drivers that screws with your network settings, very slow changing chanels, no recording timer, no on screen display etc. I've now got a Nebula DigiTV its a lot better, in fact i've compiled a list of reasons why it's better than Hauppage's DVB products:

* very fast tuning (seconds)
    * changes channel instantly
    * software never hangs
    * recording timers that work, even when digitv isn't loaded
    * fullscreen or widescreen display, correct aspect ratio on every channel
    * fills the screen properly at 1280x1024 (while maintaining aspect ratio), on wide screen monitors, or any monitor at any resolution!
    * on screen displays for now/next, guide, setup etc
    * frame capture
    * one for all remote control
    * doesn't use third party codecs
    * WDM anologue capture driver, 8kb digital card driver
    * anologue video capture that works with 3rd party apps such as Dscaler
    * RF pass through
    * on screen MHEG5, improved media player, full EPG & zoom features to come soon.
    * made in england
    * excellent technical support who listen to their customers

There's a USB version out in March.

I'm not on commision, it's just that Hauppage's DVB products really are bad!

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Can it record to a mapped drive and is the recorded quality the same as broadcast or is it user defined?

Thanks

4. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It can record to any location you desire. It records the mpeg stream in the same format & bitrate as it is being broadcast (mpeg2 4-6mbps, sound mpeg 2.0 16 bit 48khz 64-256kbps) it's unaltered.

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Cheers, sounds interesting.:)

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'd agree on the hauppage software, it creates chronic instability in my PC, mind you I'm running windows ME which is not a good place to start.

7. RecoilUK

RecoilUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Thx for the replies.

I took a look at the site you suggested cybersoga sent an email today at about 5.30pm with a few questions about the product its now 10pm and i,ve allready recieved a reply answering my questions to the full.

Havnt decided yet, but I,m probably gonna get one, unless someone knows of any other manufacturers of DVB PCI cards.

L8rs guys

RecoilUK

8. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hello People,:kisses:

Anyone used this card with a crt projector, projecting an image to say anything between 6' to 8'? If so, please post your opinions.

Tried the nova-t, what a load of crap :blush: (strong words from a young man)

surrey lad ;)

9. gallus23

gallus23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Nebula card compatible with Showshifter ?

Its not listed on their site ?

10. RecoilUK

RecoilUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I,ve questioned Nebula about the showshifter compatibility and they said they have provided the showshifter developers with an SDK to allow them to add functionality.

How far along this is I dont know, contact showshifter and find out.

L8rs

Recoil UK

11. RecoilUK

RecoilUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again

Decided to take the plunge, ordered online today.

Hope my aerial is up to it.

L8rs guys and i,ll post my thoughts once I recieve it.

Recoil UK

12. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Trust me when I say it's no better under XP :(

EffTee

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I trust you! XP is coming to a PC near me soon, but wintv pvr is probably not. A good idea, works very well in between crashes.

14. RecoilUK

RecoilUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Its arrived and good news, the pictures are awesome, even get sound out of all speakers too which is a bonus, probably because the sound isnt inputted into a sound port but is taken care of by the drivers.

Only one problem that I can see, and thats the fact that I cannot recieve ITV, ITV 2 and Channel 4, have no idea why probably just a reception problem. All the other channels are at 70-73% strength and 20-24db SNR.

What value,s are other people getting so I can gauge if I need a new aerial or just an adjustment.

Thx guys

Recoil UK

15. Gary

Gary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am thinking of getting one of nebula dvb cards as last night my old (free) philips ondigital box bust.

Currently I was feeding composite into a pinnacle pctv rave card using dscaler and viewing with a ptae1oo projector, this was surprisingly decent quality, but the picture was a little soft.

Has anyone done a direct comparison between the nebula card and the above method?

Also does the card have an audio output so this can be connected directly to a receiver?

The direct recording of the Mpeg stream sounds good.

Thanks in advance

Gary

16. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The picture quality will be a lot, lot better than composite video, as long as your CPU is up to it. If you can play DVDs with a software DVD player, the quality will be very similar. It uses your CPU for decoding of the mpeg stream, you'll need a sound card. It might not work properly with another TV card in the system, but the nebula one has a composite input that works with dscaler if you still need to use it.

17. RecoilUK

RecoilUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Gary, the Nebula DigiTV card doesnt have any audio outputs at all, but there is a way of getting sound into your reciever.

My setup is based around a Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard, which has an NForce2 chipset. This has the ability of encoding all sounds into dolby digital and outputs it through a coaxial connector. This sounds awesome.

L8rs

Recoil UK

18. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I use the SPDIF output on my system (optical), which is only capable of outputting 2 channel PCM (unless the source is a DVD encoded with DD/DTS), the AV reciever then decodes it using Dolby Pro Logic II.

In the case of the Nforce 2, what would be happening (simplified)is that the DigiTV software would be decoding the mpeg layer 2 audio and outputting it as PCM to the sound card (Nforce 2), then the sound card would then encode it as Dolby Digital, then your AV reciever would then decode the Dolby Digital stream back into PCM, then it would go through the digital to anologue converter. All this seems rather un-nessesary to me, the extra DD encoding will reduce the sound quality (although you probably woudn't notice the difference). DD encoding would only be any real use with games that use surround sound, so you can avoid having to use the 6 anologue connections to get proper surround sound from games.

19. RecoilUK

RecoilUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi cyber

Yeah you are correct, the reason I got the NForce2 was that I only need one connection from my motherboard to the receiver through a coax cable.

It does sound great for games also, as I like playing games this is the second reason I bought the motherboard.

The third reason being PowerDVD. You can use the SPDIF sound option which then sends an unaltered Dolby Digital or DTS signal straight from the disk to the receiver.

L8rs

Recoil UK

20. Gary

Gary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies,

Currently my sound card is connected to my receiver via spdif. DVDs are played with power dvd (1.4Ghz thunderbird).

Am I correct in assuming that the sound output from the nebula dvb card will be passed through the PCI bus, hence I should be able to pass this through to the receiver with the existing connection.

Also I am tight on hard disk space at the moment, I can see a need for 120gb approaching, if the mpeg stream is recorded directly to the hard disk, am I correct in guessing that an hour of this would be approx. 3-4gb?

Thanks

Gary

21. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    1 hour is 1-2gb. The mpeg data from the card is passed via the PCI bus for the software to decode, the sound will come out of your sound card, the picture will be displayed on your screen :D