Hantarex MGG 28/RGB connection options

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by AndyChester, Aug 25, 2013.

1. AndyChester

AndyChester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

First time poster, long time reader. I have an exhibition coming up and would greatly appreciate some advice from the expertise on this board.

I have a couple of classic Hantarex MGG 28 with only db9 RGB inputs (used to be part of a video wall). I managed to solder a custom prototype cable based on this advice:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/tvs/...b-problems-connecting-9-pin-rgb-hv-input.html

(images attached)

With this cable I have connected a dvd-player with RGB out through SCART, with a clean image, sync, colors are all fine. The thing is I would like to connect something other than a dvd-player, like a modern media player which does not come with SCART (RGB) out. Is there a way to use something else than SCART for such a cable, for example VGA-->db9 RGB? Or is SCART the only way to get correct image with sync?

Another option could maybe be to buy a HDMI to SCART (RGB) converter? I found this:

SB-2830 HDMI / DVI To SCART(RGB+Audio) CONVERTER - Shinybow.eu - dodavatel profesionální AUDIO - VIDEO techniky

I have also seen this HDMI to SCART device:

HDMI TO SCART DOWNSCALER CONVERTER-Converter-HDMI-FUJINON LENS

But this is only outputting composite through SCART I think...

I hope this was somewhat clear, it would be awesome to make use of these beautiful crt monitors while they´re still alive!

All responses are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Andy

Attached Files:

2. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,686
    Wow, these take me back! We used to have hundreds of these old girls back in the day!

A YUV (Component) transcoder might be the way forward, as depending on the chassis, you may find a 720p HD component signal will display correctly, as the later models could handle 800x600.

You might be able to pick up a cheap unit on ebay, as hire companies are disposing of analogue processing kit in favour of digital equipment these days. Look for Analog Way, Extron and Kramer. You might even get something with a DVI input, but this may not be HDCP compliant, as a lot of early pro kit was not.

TBH though, I would be questioning my sanity at this point, as these monitors never performed as well as the Barco versions, with poor colour gamut and colour matching between screens. I seem to remember when we stacked a few up, the line whistle used to be horrendous as well!

We sold all ours to an Indian trader, who sold them into the Indian retail trade for shop displays. No doubt many are still soldiering on, complete with screen burns and dodgy colours as the tubes slowly fail...

3. AndyChester

AndyChester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the snappy reply!

So the Barcos were considered to be overall better monitors? The Hantarex EQ series are commonly used in galleries and museums, so i figured these RGB versions would be the same...

I will look into these component transcoders, I guess they will generate RGB with proper sync?

On the back of the Hantarex there´s a switch for "+" "-" and sync on green. Are the plus and minus for H and V-sync?

Seems like a simple solution would be a HDMI to VGA then if standard VGA outputs RGB with sync:

Amazon.com: HDMI to VGA converter with R/L Audio Converter: Electronics

I guess I got bit lost in this analog world! Believe me, there are still some crazy Hantarex-lovers out there!

Cheers

4. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,686
    The Hantarex were always much cheaper than the Barco models, and tended to suffer from PSU sag - where the picture actually got slightly smaller on full white, compared to black. There was a fix and the later models were not so bad. I never found the resolution to be as good either, with a noticeable gap between scan lines, particularly on the 32" sets.

The RGB chassis was no better or worse than the composite one that most installs used and their main use for the RGB ones was for bowling alley monitors, which were normally driven from RGB to get better sharpness.

There is no reason why an HDMI - VGA converter will not work except for a couple of things: You may need an Extron analogue interface to sort out the syncs (These have a VGA input and 5 BNC output) and you will need to be able to set the VGA output to 640 x 480 or possibly 800x600. I don't think anything any higher will work. Have a play with a VGA - 9 pin cable first, as it might be happy without the interface. Back in the day, I seem to remember that it worked about 50% of the time, but never investigated why!

The sync switch should select SOG (Sync on Green) or separate H&V. I don't think they supported mixed syncs, but as VGA is H&V, I don't think this will be an issue. The +/- was for the polarity, but I cannot remember the specifics.

Your other issue will be that the screen is 4:3 and the output from the Blu-ray or other source will need to match, or the picture will be the wrong aspect ratio. A common work around was to reduce the picture height to give black bars top and bottom.

I have a set of video wall electronics, with the composite - RGB transcoder, signal splitters and an analogue matrix sat in my warehouse. It is yours for free if you want to collect it. I also have a number of 9 Pin D sub cables as well. I think there is enough to build a 4x4 wall, but I won't guarantee that everything is there, as we have not used it for years.

PM me if interested!

5. AndyChester

AndyChester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you again for all this valuable info! Now I will go and heat up the soldering iron...
    Funny that you had hundreds of these back in the day as they are quite hard to source nowadays, especially the smaller ones..

Cheers