Hanns G HW191D - DVI-D problem

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by .hack, Dec 18, 2006.

1. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Here's what just happened:

- After getting annoyed by the amount of ghosting visible when watching animated material, I decided to try switching from digital to analog.
    - Suddenly, I couldn't seem to switch between back to digital, nothing happened when changing it with the monitor's menu (both the VGA and DVI-D cables were connected at the time).
    - Confused, I decided to try it with only one in at a time.
    - I turned off everything, removed the VGA cable, unplugged and plugged the DVI-D cable back in.
    - The usual "check your cables" message came up (it's happened ever since I started using the monitor, never had any problems with the monitor working previously) just before my desktop loaded. However, this time my monitor went into standby mode and stayed that way.
    - Plugged back in my VGA cable. Nothing happened.
    - Turned off my PC and unplugged the DVI-D cable. This time it actually got past the cable message and worked.

Very annoying. Amazon probably won't be very helpful when it comes to returning it, not when I've had the monitor for two weeks already.

This shouldn't bother me too much atm, it's not like there's much difference between the VGA and DVI connections when using my PC. I'm more worried about the future...what am I going to do if I ever want to use both connections, like if I buy the Xbox 360? :/

2. fathazza

fathazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    i remember when i got my last tft that it specifically stated that you should never connect both inputs to the same graphics card at the same time...

maybe this is why?

3. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Didn't think it would hurt to plug both of them into it... Don't quite a few people use two monitors at once?

I've tried just about everything I can of, I can't get the damned DVI to work again. I wish I hadn't bothered switching back to the VGA cable. :suicide:

I believe someone else posted a thread here about having problems with DVI and this monitor? I don't think the person who posted was able to get anything DVI related to work at all though, whereas mine had been working fine.

Unless anyone has a miraculous solution :)lease: lol), the only options I can see are the following:

A) Buy another DVI cable (can't see it being the £20 DVI-D cable, it's been working fine)
    B) Try my luck with Amazon (knowing my luck, my next one will have a dead pixel in the middle of the screen! :/)
    C) Try my luck with the manufacturer (still need to register the warranty)
    D) Live with VGA only.

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,438
    There's a thread here about a similar thing. It might be worth asking if they got it sorted.

5. jtpryor1

jtpryor1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I am having the exact same problem with my HW192D (it's about the same monitor as the 191, but with different stand). Anyway, I was trying a live CD Linux distribution. After the BIOS and Linux OS loading screens, the monitor went blank. I thought perhaps Linux couldn't recognize my card---no big deal, so I try to return to Windows. However, Windows did the exact same thing: BIOS, Windows loading screen, and then nothing. It turned out that I had to switch to VGA. Before giving up, I tried the other DVI port on my ATI x1600 XT, updated the video card drivers, and then reformatted. I also carried the LCD to work so I could test the monitor on another video card.
    I post this to update and bump the thread. Hopefully, someone will see it who has had this problem and either respond with a fix or tell if they had any luck contacting Hanns G about the problem. Thanks everyone!

6. tinners

tinners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Dunno if its the same thing but I blew the DVI port on my graphics card by plugging it into my monitor whilst both the PC and the monitor were switched on, :nono: