Hanns-G HW191D 19" Widescreen LCD

Dfour

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Has anyone owned one or seen a review for one?

Just wonder if its worth getting to replace my 21" crt. It will be used almost exclusively for gaming. I know its probably worth spending more money but the ammount I have spent the last few months prohibits spending to much more:eek:

any links for it?

looks ok - but seems weird that the widescreen version is cheaper than the 4:3 version of the same monitor!

I've just purchased one from play, so will take a few piccies once it arrives and give my non-techy thoughts.

Mapster_UK said:
I've just purchased one from play, so will take a few piccies once it arrives and give my non-techy thoughts.

Thank you. I noticed that play where the cheapest on the web for one as the postage is included :smashin:

Are you gonna use it with dvi or vga??

I also have one of these on order, well I say order, I decided to tell one of my supliers I would like one thrown in with an order as he usually does with cheaper stuff.

Very nice. Im tempted more now.

Here's pics so you can view them without clicking links:

jink1.jpg

jink2.jpg

jink3.jpg

jink4.jpg

jink5.jpg

jink6.jpg

The only reviews I've been able to find are from "users" so i've no idea how reliable they are. Having said that Dabs buyers seem to love it.

I've just ordered there @ £137 delivered as Play are now up to £140. Shame that we don't get the black option though.

Logitech 5.1, cost around £50.

Obviously it's not set up as surround though, nowhere to put the rear speakers ;)

oh rite, i have a similar system, replaced the front speakers with ones from my old old hifi, gives a much stronger sound

Well, I got round to trying out the 360 on the monitor and it's nothing short of stunning. The detail is so clear and everything is super sharp. Any scaling going on in the background seems completely unnoticeable.

Tried PGR3 and Moto GP 06 and I'm super impressed. So much so, I'm thinking of moving the 360 off my Sharp P55 downstairs and putting it upstairs to share the new monitor with my pc!

However, there is a small fly in the ointment.

The phono input for sound on the monitor is in an awful place, so your little mini jack that converts the two audio plugs on the 360 won't fit because the stand gets in the way. I have a little extension lead I can use, you can get them for a couple of quid. It's a male phono at one end and female at the other, I'll try it out later.

I hear the speakers are a bit rubbish on the monitor anyway, so it's probably best to use something else. It's my only option upstairs at the moment though.

Bargain though at £129 :)

Hi,

thanks very much for your input and images of the hannsG as it has persuaded me to buy one for my xbox 360 :thumbsup:

Can anyone tell me how to install the drivers. I downloaded the .inf file from the Hanns.G web site but windows will not install it ?

*Ignore this managed to do it*

More help please. Can you recommend a good but not to expensive AGP graphics card for this monitor at the moment i have a Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 & the processor is a AMD Athlon 1.33GHz ( Will be getting a new computer in about 6 months thats why i don't want to spend to much ) at the moment the best screen res i can get is 1152 by 864 pixels.

Look for a cheap Radeon 9700/9800/pro. That should do it and allow you to use dvi for a better prcture, or the nvidia alternative (4/fx/6 series). They are a few years old but still good for most old games.

Anyone hesitating, have a look here. This is getting ridiculous....

What happens if you play an old game with a 4:3 aspect ratio? Will it stretch to fill the screen or display an undistorted image (with black bars left and right)?

Thanks.

crocodile said:
Anyone hesitating, have a look here. This is getting ridiculous....

I did a search for this monitor but couldnt find anything in this forum so thats whw I started this one.

I take it that you would recommend yours then Croc??

Dfour said:
I did a search for this monitor but couldnt find anything in this forum so thats whw I started this one.

I take it that you would recommend yours then Croc??
The only reviews I could find were of the user variety on retailer sites like Dabs. Almost universally praised.

I don't play games so can't comment on it's performance there but as a PC monitor, it's fine. I went widescreen because it's better fit for the native output from a dSLR.

With distance selling regs on your side, what have you got to lose?

Can someone tell me which delivery service/courier play.com use for large products such as this?

Is it royal mail like the games, or some dodgy courier which will mean me driving 40 miles to pick it up when I miss the delivery.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom