1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hannibal, Questions.

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Garrett, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,354
    Why did the doctor looking after Mason Verger SPOILER Push him into the hogs? :confused:

Has anybody read the book if so can they tell me if and how the book ended differently.

I missed the titles and thus did not spot Gary Oldman was in it, once again he plays a weirdly and was surprised looking at the end credits, I know he plays that type of role well (although I though in the Fifth Element he was over the top but so was the film) but I wish they would cast him more in a straight role and really enjoyed his performance in The Scarlet Letter.

2. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Can't answer youre question although glad to see the Scarlet Letter getting a mention,great film and great soundtrack nearly bought it at HMV at the weekend, think i'll have a look on Play.

3. Fe+

Fe+

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    don't recall the reason for the first question, but there is mason's sister and other relationships in the book more.

The ending was different in the book... SPOILER
    Hannibal and Clarice hook up and move to brazil, barney spots them...

if you can stand it [GORY!], it is worth a read, although I generally find if I watch the film before reading the book it I can't stop thinking about the film :)

4. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Garrett,

Having read the book (when it was first published in Hardback - all those years ago), if my memory serves...

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Lecter is pushed into the pig pen by Mason, to a) get revenge on Lecter being a bit of an all round :censored: ; to b) show Lecter the pain Mason has had to deal with, from being so horrendously disfigured, and c) to teach Lecter a lesson, that he can't buy EVERYONE off. Not to mention, that deep down, Mason wants to show Lecter that he can still beat Lecter, in psychological warfare tactics and other mind-games!

Pooch

6. Fe+

Fe+

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    But didn't Mason

SPOILER

die in the book cos lecter stuffed the moray eel down his throat and didn't actually get thrown to the hogs...

Cheers
    F

7. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Fe+,

I can't actually remember. :( I have only read "Hannibal", the once, and that was when it first came out in hardback. My memory's not too hot with novels, I'm afraid. Sorry folks. :( :(

Pooch

8. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Pooch

I think you have mis-read Garrett's question. He was asking why Mason Verger's doctor pushed Verger to the hogs - why Verger tried to do this to Hannibal is probably as you explained.

9. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    *** More Spoilers for both book and film ahead ***

I can't recall either the book or the film in too much detail but, as already mentioned, the book has Mason's sister as a main character. Mason escapes back to the house after pig trap goes wrong whereupon his sister kills him (with the eel, in his dormatory - sounds like Cluedo :) ) in revenge for a lifetime of abuse he inflicted on her (childhood rape among other things). I think she also kills his orderly before killing her brother although his orderly also loathed Mason as he was asked to procur children for his master to abuse. All pleasant stuff.

One of the things the book did seem to insinuate, with regards the ending, is that Starling was hypnotised (probably too strong a word) by Lector into staying with him. Lector carries out some sort of regression therapy involving her dead father's body and Starling is clearly not all there at the end of the book. Already mentioned, but Barney does encounter them as a couple, a few years after the books conclusion.

It's a poor novel. Very disappointing. The film made the best of it, as I recall.