1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hannibal and The 5th Element (German R2) are not DTS ES Discrete

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Reiner, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Against the printing on the cover both movies do not feature DTS Es Discrete soundtracks, only the matrix encoded version of DTS Es.<br />According to the distributor (BMG) the mistake was on DTS' side but no new version or replacement will be offered, instead the cover will be changed for future productions.<br />Supposingly this are yet the only 7-channel releases in the world.

Source: <a href="http://www.area-dvd.de/news/2001/200109/1309200101.shtml" target="_blank">http://www.area-dvd.de/news/2001/200109/1309200101.shtml</a>

[ 15-09-2001: Message edited by: Reiner ]</p>

2. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...why... that's terrible... I'm so furious I could explode... how dare they do such a stupid thing... matrixed, instead of discrete, indeed!... a pox on all of them!!... think of all the thousands upon thousands of Germans and other sundry Europeans who have installed the very latest and quite expensive DTS 6.1 discrete-capable amplifiers and extra speakers in their HTs, and who ordered these discs from Germany, only to be so utterly disappointed... grounds for suicide, I say... or at least let's all pool our resources and sue the b@st@rds who perpetrated this disgusting mumblemumbleghhh...

(...is force-fed his laudanum and led away to his padded cell...)

sheesh!

[ 16-09-2001: Message edited by: European ]

[ 20-09-2001: Message edited by: European ]</p>

3. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    yeah...bad news this..I got the Fifth Element and was totally gutted to find out it wasn;t discrete..oh well..DTS is better than nothing I guess..

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277

5. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Its mean mentioned before in great detail that the r2 version has an inferior picture because it was taken from a diferent transfer. Also its been said that Luc Besson didn't want any extras to detract from the film, so the best transfer was not available if they were to include any extras.<br />The r1 is considered reference quality, but I've just sold it and ordered the new DD/DTS superbit version. Any idea if the picture is the original r1 transfer so they can improve on it, or is it just gonna be better sound.