• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

hanging TV

sanch3z

Established Member
Just need a sanity check here...

Want my TV as close to the wall as possible, assume I need to recess my power socket and an area around it so the plug doesn't stick out and stop my TV being mounted close to the wall?

How do people manage the process of connecting the TV then hiding the cables as the TV is mounted? Do you tie string round them trying to pull and hide them as it's mounted?

shortyav

Established Member
ImageUploadedByAVForums1446922752.304000.jpg

That's probably the best way to clean up a TV on the wall. Over wise it will always sit off some distance. If you never look down the side of the wall that's not such an issue though.

sanch3z

Established Member
Yeah both interesting responses. Socket is a lot of money for what it is and you have to make a rebate anyway so will probably create my own thing.

That install looks nice but been there done that problem is when you have a problem with the speaker or tv and you can't get a direct replacement? The hole will be the wrong size. Have bought a bracket that is only 25mm deep. To me this is an acceptable depth

Plasma Dan

Prominent Member
Just need a sanity check here...

Want my TV as close to the wall as possible, assume I need to recess my power socket and an area around it so the plug doesn't stick out and stop my TV being mounted close to the wall?

How do people manage the process of connecting the TV then hiding the cables as the TV is mounted? Do you tie string round them trying to pull and hide them as it's mounted?

Install an FCU (Fused Connection Unit, also known as a Fused Spur) instead of a socket. Provided you use the correct sized fuse it will be perfectly safe, and saves having a plug sticking-out at the back of the TV. I do this a lot with installs.

ae235

Some TVs have removable power cords on them, so this is ideal. If not, you can install a flex coupler onto the cable, so that you can wire-up the FCU with the TV out of the way. This is how my bedroom TV is installed. :smashin:

cefco_f4pnc10-3b_6308888e9b2fc6283cb489021802d58b.jpg

As for the other cables, just wedge any excess cable behind the TV. :smashin:

Dan.

sanch3z

Established Member
thanks for the pointers. Usually go the fused spur root but this can invalidate the warranty if you chop the cable up, although I could buy a spare. I also think the recessed box mentioned earlier is good but very expensive for what it is so in the end I recessed a normal socket as I dot 'n' dabbed and tiled the wall so it was easy losing the depth in the end. The TV is all hung now and working beautifully. Thanks guys

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom