Hanging heavy large speakers from the ceiling... Any ideas?

djnickm

Hi all,

I recently picked up some B&W CT7.3 speakers that I'm going to use as rear heights.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Downloads/Product/InfoSheet/ENG_FP27340_CT7.3-LCRS_info_sheet.pdf

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can hang these from the ceiling, like a bracket of some kind, so as I may angle the down to fire towards the mlp.

These speakers are 606mm wide and weigh in at 21kg each. So pretty heavy. They have some screw holes on the rear which are intended to be used when using their own wall brackets ( which won't really help me) so I could screw into them.

Ideas?

Ambienz

Stating the obvious.... Make sure it's a joist you're fixing it to, otherwise some of your sound effects may take on a life of their own!

djnickm

Haha.. Indeed. My home made VOG speaker which is directly over head is screwed into 3 joists as it weighs 50kgs... It's not going anywhere.

sounddog

You could look at professional theatre type suppliers and use welded eyelets and wire rope.

djnickm

Yes was thinking of doing something like that, but dont want to drill holes into the speaker cabs. I could make a metal platform that I can suspend and do that way...

rhino2k

Distinguished Member
Could you not make an MDF enclosure of sorts, Put the speaker inside Pack with foam for a tight fit, then fix the MDF enclosure edges to the ceiling?

Something like this, Excuse the crude use of the keyboard but you get the idea!

Fix here --|_ Speaker _|--Fix Here

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
Hi Nick, one of my ideas to manage heights was to attach the speaker to 18mm mdf. Run some 3x2 across the ceiling and secure it via the side walls. Then attach an appropriate heavy duty bracket to the rear of the 18mm mdf and angle as required.

djnickm

Thanks guys... It's looking that some form of mdf and bracing may be the way forward.

I did think about a metal bar from one wall to the other and angle so I can use the wall brackets the speakers come with, but I'll not be able to toe them in if I go that route, and I think for atmos purposes I really should toe them in...

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom