1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hanging a projector screen from the ceiling

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by doncoolio, Jul 21, 2005.

1. doncoolio

doncoolio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a beamax r-black and wish to hang it from the ceiling. This screen weighs quite a bit and I'm worried that it will come crashing down.

If you image a sliding patio door, then you'll see that there is section of wall cut out to fit the door. I shall be hanging it inside this "cut out" infront of the window and then have a blind that comes down between the screen and window. Hence I'm not technically ceiling mounting but some sort of wall mounting. I know it is soild and strong as it supports the wall above the window.

The question is, how do I attach the screen to this "ceiling". The screen has two loops either end where I can pass a hook but I have no idea which hook would be up to the job and how to securely fix this hook?

This (http://www.treadmillsales.co.uk/index.php?product_id=175178&option=Prod_detail&image_id=73405 ) seems to be the best thing I have found, but I don't know how long it is and it might not loeave enough room for the blind.

Any DIY advise on this woud be much appreciated. :lease: :rolleyes:

2. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    I'm no DIY expert so please don't trust me on this but I have a very heavy 9ft electric screen hanging from hooks on my ceiling.

I went down to B&Q and bought two heavy duty threaded loop things (I don't know what they're called but they look like a hook that's been bent round to meet up on itself) and a couple of S hooks to hang off them. The S hooks looked a bit flimsy but the guy assured me they could take the weight. It's been up since late last year and hasn't shown any signs of coming down yet so I guess he was right!

If you PM me your email address I can send you a picture if you like. Hope this helps!

3. Tiesto

Tiesto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thats called the "reveal" and beneath the plaster should be a lintel of some description and thats made of steel so you'll have to use a Hss (high speed steel ) drill bit to make a hole for your fixing, generally in steel you would use self tappers.
    To gauge the size of self tapping fixings would depend on the actual weight of the screen :)

4. doncoolio

doncoolio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I know the one you mean, My concern is how to attach the the hook to the reveal (thanks tiesto :smashin: ). I drilled a tiny hole to see the build of the beam and it seems to be concrete.

Timmy, The hook you talk about, how did you screw it to the ceiling? The ones that i've seen seem to be made to be screwed into wood rather than a raw plug and screw?

Also I assume you are hanging it with just two hooks?

5. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    I'm just using the two hooks but I've screwed them straight into the wooden joist in the ceiling. I'm not sure about using them in concrete though but if you can get them fixed securely then two should hold your screen with no problem.

6. doncoolio

doncoolio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, for all those in the same dilema. This is how i resolved it.

It turns out my reveal is a bnit strange, there a perts which a concrete, parts which are just plaster board and along a certain section there is a steel support which is holow behind. I simply drilled two holes through the steel and screwed the hooks (85p each from B&Q) into it. Extremly strong and it aint going anywhere, could easily take twice or more of the weight.

Thanks for your help all! :smashin:

P.S: This setup looks amazing now, just need to decluter the room.