Hanging a heavy TV on dot'n'dab / breeze block wall, help please...!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by LokustStar, Feb 25, 2014.

1. LokustStar

LokustStar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I soon plan to hang my pretty heavy TV (LG 42LE8900) on a dot n dab / breeze block external wall using 6x M8 Rigifix Bolts (although I have 10 to be sure!) and a swivel wall mount (Ultramount UM110M) but have a concern about the combined weight including the bracket, as follows:

42" LG TV = 20Kg
    Bracket = 12 Kg approx.
    Total Weight = 32Kg

The bracket claims to support up-to 60Kg, and I know from experience that the Rigifix bolts are super secure, but in this instance the combined weight seems very heavy and I guess I'm looking for advice / assurance that the wall will support the weight?!

My house is only 10 years old, I have no reason to suspect there are any issues with the quality of the walls and I'm confident in my DIY abilities (although I'm certainly no tradesman) but before I go drilling holes and chopping lines for cables, etc, I would like to know that the wall will support the weight of the TV. There isn't another wall in the room to use so using studs in a stud wall isn't an option.

Any help or advice anyone can provide would be very much appreciated. Am I being over-cautious??

Many thanks,

Chris...

2. 00Paul00

00Paul00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    I did this a few years back with my 42" plasma which weighed about 35kg. Also with a swivel wall mount on a dot and dab wall. The problem comes when you don't want to remove all the plasterboard to attach the bracket directly to the brick work. This means the bracket is flush on the plasterboard but there is the 10mm or so gap between plasterboard and the brickwork, which is what concerned me. I used anchor bolts, 6 I think, but also had some gromits made out of stainless steel. I drilled the plasterboard holes just big enough for the gromits to fit in. The anchor bolts went through the middle of the gromits and tight to the brickwork and bracket. The plasterboard then wasn't bearing any of the weight whatsoever. The bolts tightened the bracket against the steel gromits against the brickwork.

Hope this makes sense. Held strong for years, unfortunately I don't have any photos and have moved house since.

3. LokustStar

LokustStar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply pingpong3818, makes complete sense. In essence you put together a DIY version of what the Rigifix bolts do by the sounds of it, putting the pressure on the breeze block and not the plasterboard.

I was confident in hanging this TV until the wall mount arrived today and I felt how heavy that was alone - half as much as the TV and them some! Having read through a few posts on here it seems dot n dab / breeze block walls will support 32Kg and more, but knowing how most houses these days are thrown up using cheap, light materials I wanted to be sure.

I purposely bought a larger wall mount as A) it provided increased support as far as weight is concerned and B) it had a larger 'footprint' to spread the load over a bigger area, my theory being this would provide additional support also. I just didn't bank on it being so heavy!

I'm now think I needn't have gone so big thus reducing the overall weight...?

Thanks again... :)