Question Hanging a Heavy Projector Screen from Ceiling

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sjackson, Jun 13, 2015.

1. sjackson

sjackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +539
    Have a question. I need to hang my Draper Linea from the ceiling and I have no access to from above. Weight wise I think it's about 40kgs. Joists run in parallel to the way the screen will be running. Looking at the diagrams the ceiling mount ears have 5mm screw holes. Can 4 x 5mm screws really hold this up?

Options as I see them:
    1. Drill out the 5mm holes to 8mm or similar and use a single M8 x 100m coach bolt on either end screwed into the joist. Would two coach bolts be strong enough assuming I hit centre joist?
    2. Span two 10mm thick steel bars between (under) two joists (one on either end of the screen). Each end of each bar would be coach bolted to the joists giving me 4 bolts in total. The screen ears would then rest on the bar with maybe a small 5mm bolt holding it in place. At least with this method I could raise or lower the coach bolts to ensure each bar is exactly level.
    3. As with #2 above but use a 4x2 noggin and the 5mm screws through the ears into the noggins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Appreciate any info on how people hung theirs.

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,100
    Use 18mm plywood to make 'pads' that spread the load (and ideally will hit a joist), then you can just use wood screws into the pad to fix the screen. It helps if the screen is hidden in a pelmet as this is how I did mine, which is a 112" wide 2.35:1 tab tensioned screen, so it is pretty heavy. If the screen will be on show, then you could paint the plywood white to match the ceiling, though it would probably look better if you extend the 'pads' so they cover the whole ceiling area above the screen.

Whatever you do hanging a heavy screen from two points using just plasterboard is asking for trouble regardless of fixings used.

3. sjackson

sjackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +539
    No way I wouldn't be hanging from from the plasterboard. I'll go through the plasterboard and into the joists above. And I will be building a pelmet around it.

4. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have a very similar issue and wondered what you did in the end?

My projector screen is 40kg and the two brackets that came with it have two 5mm holes. Like you I'm wary of just popping a couple of 5mm woodscrews up, even if it is into joist.

My plan is to put noggings in and secure to them - but what with?. Am seriously considering drilling out the 5mm holes to (say) 8mm and then using long M8 bolts with washers so I can go right through the noggings. Like you I like the idea of being able to adjust the level of the screen that way.

Would appreciate it if you could post what solution you used. Cheers.

5. sjackson

sjackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +539
    This is what I did. Some rolled steel from B&Q and 8mm or 100m coach bolts into joists. Then the screen rests to is bolted to the steel "cross bar". So that bar spans between two joists.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  6. dfdd

dfdd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Cavity wall fixings-metal( Fischer- screwfix,toolstation) can support a lotjust into a plasterboard ceiling and are great to use as the screw can be screwed in and out of the fixing- really helps with levelling the screen

7. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    @sjackson Thanks for posting the pics. Looks great and a neat way to get around the problem.

I can't fit a pelmet so I think I'm going to go with widening the holes to fit M8 and bolting through the noggings. Belt and braces what with 40kg up in the air.

8. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Not so with a vertical load - the cavity fixings may hold onto the load but you are then reliant on whatever has been used to fix the plasterboard to the joists.

My preferred method is to span a piece of 4x2 timber the length of the screen frame and bolt that to as many joists a possible using 2 x 6 (or 8)mm coach screws. Simple to then bolt the screen brackets securely to the 4x2

9. dfdd

dfdd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    It will work with a vertical load, plasterboard is placed with multiple screw fixings into the joist and is very secure.
    On thin plasterboard. Appx 9.5mm then each cavity wall anchor can support Appx 15 kg into plasterboard only. All my screens have been supports this way with no problems.
    Put a weight on it after placement if you need clarification, cheers