Hanging a heavy clock on plasterboard wall

Sandman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mum phoned me over the weekend asking I could pop over and hang a clock for her that she had bought. No problem I though and off I went with my tool kit and variety of wall fixings.

The clock she bought looks like this
s-l1600.jpg

The hook for hanging the clock is directly behind the "XII" so the fixing needs to be attached to the wall then the clock hung over it (no access to screw it from the front).
The problem is the wall is plasterboard and the circular hole in the hook is only big enough for a nail. Any plasterboard fixings I have don't work because the head of the screw wont fit through the hook.
Any suggestions?

Oh and my dads PC has stopped working since he downloaded a free video editing program, his Yamaha receiver has stopped working and his ipad has ran out of space. If you could also fix all those issues too it would be great. lol

My mum phoned me over the weekend asking I could pop over and hang a clock for her that she had bought. No problem I though and off I went with my tool kit and variety of wall fixings.

The clock she bought looks like this
View attachment 878008
The hook for hanging the clock is directly behind the "XII" so the fixing needs to be attached to the wall then the clock hung over it (no access to screw it from the front).
The problem is the wall is plasterboard and the circular hole in the hook is only big enough for a nail. Any plasterboard fixings I have don't work because the head of the screw wont fit through the hook.
Any suggestions?

Oh and my dads PC has stopped working since he downloaded a free video editing program, his Yamaha receiver has stopped working and his ipad has ran out of space. If you could also fix all those issues too it would be great. lol

How heavy is the clock?

How heavy is the clock?

Im not sure exactly but I would hazard a guess at about 5KG.

I have had a thought that I could drill out the hole in the hook so it is big enough to fit a screw head through. Then I could just use a standard plasterboard fixing.

If it's board over timber then just find timber and whack a nail in .....

Im not sure exactly but I would hazard a guess at about 5KG.

I have had a thought that I could drill out the hole in the hook so it is big enough to fit a screw head through. Then I could just use a standard plasterboard fixing.

I would probably try the same, slow and steady so it doesn't break.

If it's board over timber then just find timber and whack a nail in .....

In an ideal world there would be a timber stud in the exact position where she wants the clock. Unfortunately there isn't (the clock has to be in the centre of the wall).

Drill out the hole and use a 'Fastbrolly' hollow wall fixing.

Touch up the screw head with a little black paint.

I will go back tonight and try to drill out the hole a little.

The PC, receiver and ipad can wait for another day.

In an ideal world there would be a timber stud in the exact position where she wants the clock. Unfortunately there isn't (the clock has to be in the centre of the wall).
It was worth a try lol [emoji28][emoji28]

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom