Handyman wanted to build home cinema frontstage and or frame for AT Screen build - London or will pay for transport of screen

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
Handyman wanted to build home cinema frontstage and frame for AT Screen build - London SW11 area - or will pay for transport of screen

What I want built:

Screen:

A 92.5" 2.40:1 screen. If stretching material over myself is easy, I can do this. Or, I would be happy to try spandex or a suitable material. My seating distance would be approx. 2.9 m from the screen, so I think I need something akin to Seymour's UF material, Screen Excellence's Enlightor 4K/ 4K Neo or Dreamscreen's v7.

Frontage:

Either, a platform and frame that my subs and speakers can stand, or a goal post frame that will fit around subs and speakers, as I could have speakers on top stands on subs/ centre on a stand.

Please see some photos below of the space in question for reference.

Kind thanks,

fallinlight

20210912_170756.jpg
1.jpg

20210930_122340.jpg
20210930_122505.jpg

Last edited:

Harkon321

Have you got a room plan? Trying to see what problems you're trying to overcome.
Wouldn't want my screen attached to my subs as it would vibrate under heavy bass.

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
Have you got a room plan? Trying to see what problems you're trying to overcome.
Wouldn't want my screen attached to my subs as it would vibrate under heavy bass.

Good evening Harkon, thanks for messaging, buddy. No, I haven't got a room plan, sorry. But I did this rough mock up earlier in the year/ last year:

Home Cinema Platform c 2.jpg
Home Cinema Platform c.jpg

I wouldn't attach screen to subs. The only way around it is to have an uneven line where the side walls are thinner and come out wider at the front to meet the depth at the front.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Not sure what the issue is?

you don’t need a baffle wall, you just need some brackets to mount the screen far enough away from the wall for your speakers to fit.

That’s all I did, I built some CLS brackets, 40cm deep, around 100cm high, then just mount the frame to these.

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
Not sure what the issue is?

you don’t need a baffle wall, you just need some brackets to mount the screen far enough away from the wall for your speakers to fit.

That’s all I did, I built some CLS brackets, 40cm deep, around 100cm high, then just mount the frame to these.

Cheers, Mark. I guess the main issue is the shallow width of side walls between front wall and window at the left side, and to the door on the right side. It just means I would have to have an uneven surface that is masked off, I guess.

Do you know of anyone on here that could build the frame for me that I need to make this work?

mb3195

Distinguished Member
I don’t really understand what you mean about uneven surface?
I don’t know anyone on here I’m afraid. But honestly, it’s not a difficult job.

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
I don’t really understand what you mean about uneven surface?

The side walls are not deep and not as deep as needed for the speakers and screen, so to mask those areas off, means they will be shallower than the screen area. So, the the left wall stops before the window and is approx. 3.5" deep there, and the right side before it gets to the door, is approx. 6" deep. Therefore I can't have a simple straight line going across the width of the room. Does that make sense now, Mark?

What’s the measurement from window to wall and wall to door?

Approximately those I gave above, Harkon. But would have to measure it.

Any carpenter could do this for you to be honest.

That is reassuring. I had a nightmare with the painter I hired to paint my room, and had to fire him after 3 days, but not that he worked more than 1 and a 1/2 hours for the 2 days that he turned up late. I re-did it all better than he did with my limited experience and am wrapping up painting now. I just don't have the confidence to build what I need for this and my recent experience via Checkatrade has turned me off and made it hard for me to trust someone I do not know/ that isn't recommended from another member on here. But I guess I should start looking again. I just need to figure out what I need and want built. I assume it would cost a lot if I want something for the speakers to rest on, too/ a riser. I want the subs below, because 1/4 wall front wall placement sounds the best in my room and I don't want to sacrifice the bass by having them anywhere else. The screen can come out flush with them if needed.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
The side walls are not deep and not as deep as needed for the speakers and screen, so to mask those areas off, means they will be shallower than the screen area. So, the the left wall stops before the window and is approx. 3.5" deep there, and the right side before it gets to the door, is approx. 6" deep. Therefore I can't have a simple straight line going across the width of the room. Does that make sense now, Mark?

Approximately those I gave above, Harkon. But would have to measure it.

That is reassuring. I had a nightmare with the painter I hired to paint my room, and had to fire him after 3 days, but not that he worked more than 1 and a 1/2 hours for the 2 days that he turned up late. I re-did it all better than he did with my limited experience and am wrapping up painting now. I just don't have the confidence to build what I need for this and my recent experience via Checkatrade has turned me off and made it hard for me to trust someone I do not know/ that isn't recommended from another member on here. But I guess I should start looking again. I just need to figure out what I need and want built. I assume it would cost a lot if I want something for the speakers to rest on, too/ a riser. I want the subs below, because 1/4 wall front wall placement sounds the best in my room and I don't want to sacrifice the bass by having them anywhere else. The screen can come out flush with them if needed
You don’t need to go the full width of the room though, only as wide as your screen will be.

Mine doesn’t go all the way to the edges, it allows me to hide the curtains when they’re not in use as well.

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
You don’t need to go the full width of the room though, only as wide as your screen will be.

Mine doesn’t go all the way to the edges, it allows me to hide the curtains when they’re not in use as well.

Oh, OK. Does that not look funny? Can you please share some photos of how yours looks, Mark? Kid thanks

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Oh, OK. Does that not look funny? Can you please share some photos of how yours looks, Mark? Kid thanks
No, it looks absolutely fine, but trying to take a picture in that area of my room is impossible mate, it’s too dark.

Does a big chimney breast look funny? Basically the same thing.

Harkon321

Do you have to use existing speakers?

If you’re building a false wall you could use decent in walls. My LCR are just under 4’’ deep so anything like that would and you could do the full width then.

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
Do you have to use existing speakers?

If you’re building a false wall you could use decent in walls. My LCR are just under 4’’ deep so anything like that would and you could do the full width then.

Yes, Gary/ Peter Parker suggested this to me earlier, but I think that is too much as I don't own the property. It's a nice idea, though! I'd like to stick with my 3677 or I may upgrade my speakers soon.

sraper

This is what I built in my room just over 3m wide and is basically wrapper around an ikea besta unit with a sub at either side
20190905_213348.jpg
20190905_213412.jpg
IMG-20190903-WA0003.jpeg

It's not perfect but in a dedicated room it works well

fallinlight

Distinguished Member

sraper

Cheers bud, looks excellent. I did look at Besta units and tons of others for weeks but could not find anything suitable. I will look again, but would prefer something custom built.
The besta is the core of the build. I built a frame around this which included this and 2 subs. This then had a 'proper' top on it which was then used to rest the frame that hid the LCR speakers and holds the projector screen. All of this was custom built and covered in black flock
20210914_193754.jpg
20210914_193843.jpg
20210914_193952.jpg

Last edited:

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the additional details, @sraper. I had another look on eBay, just in case, but unfortunately, none of the Besta units suit the size of my subs. I also want to keep them placed 1/4 front wall.

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
Up.

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
Hello @mkohman, is this something you would be up for building for me, please? We are both London based, which is very helpful.

worcesternaf

Im not in london but I could potentially help. I've built my own cinema and i build large garden rooms/man caves for people on the side.

Pm me if you would like to discuss.

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
Good afternoon @worcesternaf,

Thank you so much for reaching back out to me, I am very grateful.

Will PM you now, buddy.

Kind thanks,

fallinlight

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
I am still looking for someone to build my frontstage. I have in mind something minimalistic and simple like the build in this thread, except mine won't be wall to wall and not fixed to the ground/ floorboards:

The builder also broke his method down on this page:

Kind thanks,

fallinlight

Last edited:

fallinlight

Distinguished Member
You need a builder really. If not then contact any of the custom install companies.

Thank you, can you recommend and custom install companies, please?

At this stage, I simply want a low platform (leaves me more flexibility as I can elevate speakers accordingly with stands) and a screen support structure. Like in the build above. Speakers behind, screen on support frame. But I would have to think about adding sound insulation behind and around the speakers, I guess, so there might be a bit more to build for that.

I did think about gathering wooden supply crates to use for the platform. I've missed out on loads over this year. That might work.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Piega launches Ace Wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
M&K Sound launches V+ Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon launches DHT-S517 Dolby Atmos soundbar