• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Handshaking Problems (Player > Reciever > TV)

chronaden

Standard Member
Hello,

Ive just bought a new setup consisting of:
Player = Panasonic BD60
Receiver = Onkyo 507
TV = Panasonic 50G10E
Its all connected together with good 1.3 HDMI cables etc.

When i fire up my player, it takes the normal 40sec or so to start playing the actual disc, if i switch the Onkyo over to the correct input before my player has begun to read whats actual on the disc and says "HDMI" in the little display, i just get a blinking black/static screen on the G10, if i wait with switching input til the disc is reading or just skip back and forth, the picture will come, else i get only sound.

My questions is, which piece of hardware is doing something "wrong"? - and do anyone have a way of correcting this?

Ive been thinking about buying a HDMI splitter or switch to see if this can correct the handshake problems, but really dont know if thats gonna solve anything..

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello chronaden

HDMI and its buddies HDCP and EDID can be a pain.

The problem could be anywhere in your set-up - though the Onkyo amps are often a good place to point the finger!!!

Have you tried a system reboot - power it all off at the wall then back on as follows; Display (and select relevant HDMI Input), then Amp then Source. Give it a few Secs between each device.

Are you powering things off or into standby in-between viewing sessions?

Also make sure you have any form of HDMI control (Viera link etc) Off in the various Options menus.

Joe

chronaden

Standard Member
Yes, i tried a power off etc, its really not a question of when the TV is turned on, it will only work if i turn on receiver or switch to the correct input after the BD player has begun to read the disc.

I turn off all equipment, dont know what you mean with standby, theres a little red light on each hardware if thats what you mean with standby? :)

I have disabled HDMI ctrl and viera, didnt help im afraid.

PS. What exactly is EDID?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor

chronaden

Standard Member
Yes no problem if i connect directly to the TV, but then i have to use optical for sound, and then i got no HD transfers going through :(

What i have done now, is to program my Harmony One, to do the delays, but i hate i have to point for like 30secs everytime, and i really just want the problem to be fixed tbh :p

EDIT:
I also got a PC (DVI -> HDMI) and a WDTV connected to the receiver with HDMI, no problems there aswell.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Have you looked for any Firmware updates for the BD player.

The PC is most likely not outputting HDCP so less problematic - not sure if the WDTV is HDCP enabled or not; don't have one in my test rig!

If the Display has multiple HDMI Inputs have you tried the BD>Amp>Display into all inputs on the TV - they can be different!

Joe

chronaden

Standard Member
Player is updated yes. - Is it even possible to update the receiver?

Haven't tried using any other than HDMI 1 - will give it try, but kinda doubt it will do anything :p

Disturber

Established Member
Chronaden, i have just upgraded to the 50G10 and I am having exactly the same problems as you. I also have an Onkyo amp and a Panny blu ray player although they are slightly different models (607 and BD30).

I am seeing the same screen (or lack of) whilst waiting for BR discs to load and also saw it last night whilst Halo 3 was loading. The TV kept flashing up a black screen on several occasions. However was fine when the game had fully loaded.

I have come from an Hitachi Plasma and never saw any of these issues. I'm guessing there is some sort of compatibility issue between the Onkyo and G10.

chronaden

Standard Member
Chronaden, i have just upgraded to the 50G10 and I am having exactly the same problems as you. I also have an Onkyo amp and a Panny blu ray player although they are slightly different models (607 and BD30).

I am seeing the same screen (or lack of) whilst waiting for BR discs to load and also saw it last night whilst Halo 3 was loading. The TV kept flashing up a black screen on several occasions. However was fine when the game had fully loaded.

I have come from an Hitachi Plasma and never saw any of these issues. I'm guessing there is some sort of compatibility issue between the Onkyo and G10.

You might have something there, one should contact the support team of one or both of them.

Let me know if you find a solution mate.

Allthough, you could try something ive heard about thats not an option on my receiver. Try and do the following: "OSD Setup, set Immediate Display to Off"

chronaden

Standard Member

I get the same when the actual BD content starts playing, with DVD's i just get no picture at all.

Disturber

Established Member
Contacted Panasonic and they are sending someone out tomorrow afternoon to have a look, also mentioned the slight buzz I have, so think I will try and get a replacement set, although not hopeful that will solve the issues.

Will let you know how i get on.

chronaden

Standard Member
I think its a general issue (found more ppl who experience this with a G10 and an Onkyo)

About the buzzing, i already had 1 set replaced because of that, and that had the exact same problem.. :(

But if you can show the Panasonic man about the handshaking problems between the G10 and certain Onkyo receivers, that would be sweet!

Disturber

Established Member
So, two guys from the Panasonic Service centre popped around this afternoon and had a look at the issues i am having. They then proceeded to get another G10 from the van and hooked it all up. This other tv was exactly the same and produced the same issues.

We then tried top quality HDMI cables, but no better. The guys then disappeared away back to the van to make a call and came back, the solution was to connect the BD player to the tv directly and to the amp via optical only. At which point i began explaining about True Dolby HD and DTS MA etc etc!

Their conclusion was that i should speak to the Panasonic store and see what they could do. Ideally I would like to pay the extra and upgrade to the V10, which i hope will solve everything!

Spoke to the store (Exeter one), and they said that a swap was possible but i would have to pay a £100 re-stocking fee for the G10. I stated that i thought this was unfair as the issue was with the tv and not my setup (which has worked flawlessly prior to introducing the G10).

They also said that a 50"V10 will cost £1650, I told them that Sevenoaks can do it for £1529 with the 5 year warranty, they said that they would get back to me!

Anyway, just had a call from someone else at the service centre who wanted to know the model of the Onkyo and was going to contact Panasonic to see if they are aware of any issues. He also said that he wanted to come around on Monday and connect a different Panasonic to see if that has the same issues. He was also interested in this thread and is a reader of the site which is encouraging.

Will see how i get on next week and keep in touch.

Disturber

Established Member
Latest update - The Panasonic chap has just left after about one and a half hours trying to sort the problem. He tried everything he could think of but the issue persisted.

We even connected up a brand new 26" inch Panny Lcd (X10) which he bought with him, but that had exactly the same problem!

In his own words 'back to the drawing board'. Awaiting further contact to see if he can suggest anything, although not hopeful that this can be resolved now.

Luckily the quality picture of the G10 is keeping me sane!!

alsina

Prominent Member
Latest update - The Panasonic chap has just left after about one and a half hours trying to sort the problem. He tried everything he could think of but the issue persisted.

We even connected up a brand new 26" inch Panny Lcd (X10) which he bought with him, but that had exactly the same problem!

In his own words 'back to the drawing board'. Awaiting further contact to see if he can suggest anything, although not hopeful that this can be resolved now.

What tv and what connection were you using before the G10?

Disturber

Established Member
I had an Hitachi 42pd7200. Connections all exactly the same, just swapped over the hdmi cable to the Panny. Never had a single problem before.

chronaden

Standard Member

Did the chap try and use a HDMI splitter? - I mean, if you put one cable directly in the panny for video and one in the receiver for sound, could'nt that work?

Disturber

Established Member
Not sure on that one as I have never used a splitter. Would the signal not be degraded? Maybe someone else can let us know.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
A Distribution Amp (Splitter) ought not to degrade the video and audio signals though you could have a problem trying to get anything other than stereo audio into the AV Amp if the Source handshakes with the TV as the TV will set the source to Output stereo over HDMI.

Some Splitters will allow you to get multi channel to the AV Amp - Media Factory - Octava HDDA12-UK, 1x2 HDMI distribution amp.

Joe

Disturber

Established Member
Two further updates,

1. Just realised that I said I had a 607, typing error, should be 606.

2. Had a call from the Panasonic service centre who had been in touch with Onkyo customer service. Apparently my amp is on the original firmware of 1.0, however there has been a couple of updates, the most recent being 1.3.
I have been unable to find anything online about this this but spoke to them myself and they confirmed it does exist. The latest update, is to solve hdmi handshake issues with Panasonic plasmas.

The only problem, is that you cannot install the firmware yourself, the amp has to be sent away. The good news is that a company called genserve (genserve.co.uk) do the work for you and even arrange the courier to pick up from your house and drop back when complete. Even better, is that this is all free as long as the amp is within the 2 year warranty and you have proof of purchase.

I am unsure if there are firmware updates for he other onkyo models, but it seems likely. You can contact Genserve directly on 01793 886333.

I will be re-contacting them in the morning to arrange, and will let you know the results when I receive it back. The estimate 7-10 days turn-around at the most, but could be a lot quicker.

Fingers crossed, this does the trick.

pwood

Prominent Member
Well it seems I am not alone but have a slightly different problem in that everything works okay until I try to upscale 1080p from my Onkyo 875. If the amp is set to Through / 1080i then it works okay. If I try upscaling 576p/1080i I get the aforementioned blank screen / fuzz / blank screen / fuzz until it eventually locks on and displays 1080p. If the amp is set to 1080i for scaling it passes the 1080p from my PS3 through okay!

I cant say i am keen on doing without my amp for over a week having just got my 50" G10. If Onkyo are admitting an issue with Panasonic then I may refer back to Hifi Corner for a loaner meantime.

Last edited:

pwood

Prominent Member
I have put a post on Onkyo forum regards what is required for upgrade as my Amp is older than the ones you guys seem to be having problems with.

Last edited:

Taz69

Prominent Member
Two further updates,

1. Just realised that I said I had a 607, typing error, should be 606.

2. Had a call from the Panasonic service centre who had been in touch with Onkyo customer service. Apparently my amp is on the original firmware of 1.0, however there has been a couple of updates, the most recent being 1.3.
I have been unable to find anything online about this this but spoke to them myself and they confirmed it does exist. The latest update, is to solve hdmi handshake issues with Panasonic plasmas.

The only problem, is that you cannot install the firmware yourself, the amp has to be sent away. The good news is that a company called genserve (genserve.co.uk) do the work for you and even arrange the courier to pick up from your house and drop back when complete. Even better, is that this is all free as long as the amp is within the 2 year warranty and you have proof of purchase.

I am unsure if there are firmware updates for he other onkyo models, but it seems likely. You can contact Genserve directly on 01793 886333.

I will be re-contacting them in the morning to arrange, and will let you know the results when I receive it back. The estimate 7-10 days turn-around at the most, but could be a lot quicker.

Fingers crossed, this does the trick.

How did you get on with the firmware update chap, any news ?

Taz

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom