Question Handshakes, Protocols or Poltergeist?

MikeToll

Novice Member
I have a Humax FVP-5000T PVR playing in to a trusty old Sony STR-DG820 AVR and on to its fellow vintage Sharp Aquos LC-42XD1EA TV. All linked by HDMI cables of a similar age.

After about 40 minutes viewing the picture starts to become grainy, then white lines start to flash across the picture, then the picture goes in to a kind of Solarised or Reverse Video kind of appearance - where colours appear to be from the fluorescent-pen range such that black shows a purple etc. Eventually the picture goes blank/black and the sound cuts out, then the picture and sound recover to normal. After a few seconds or minutes the process will recur. If I don’t loose patience and quit then sometimes the whole setup stabilises again.

Over the last few years the problem can occur once, last for an evening or few a few days and then go away again. It always seems to start after a period of viewing – as if temperature is affecting something.

The TV doesn’t have the problem when using its own tuner.

With my previous BT Youview Humax DTRT2100 the same issue used to occur but took longer to recover from loss of picture & sound.

So my prime suspect is the AVR. I’m suspecting the AVR because other sources through it suffer the same problem e.g. a Chromecast. But it could be the HDMI input to the TV.

I can’t think what type of fault might be causing this. I’ve not found anything on the web with the searches I can think of and I don’t want to start randomly upgrading each bit of kit only to find the same problem at the end!

Can anyone help with a solution or perhaps by giving me some key-words to help me continue my own search for a solution.

TIA
Mike

More likely to be a failing HDMI cable than a Poltergeist.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
I agree first and cheapest solution will be swapping around hdmi cables and checking how firmly they are inserted/connected.

Then you must also by-pass the AVR and direct connect to TV.

Such fault diagnosis needs to be methodical and will be time consuming.

MikeToll

Novice Member
Thanks guys - I hadn't suspected the HDMI cables because, as per the age of the AVR & TV, they haven't been touched for a decade.

My TV must be one of the last of the ones where they weighed about 20kg so getting it off the wall and the unthreading the HDMI cable to is going to be fun if I need to, but connecting the Humax direct to the TV via the HDMI is doable and a good next move.

I'll post any updates in case it ever helps anyone else.

MikeToll

Novice Member
Update:-
Bypassed the AVR and no problem for 2 evenings using the AVR-TV HDMI cable for PVR-TV.
Swapped the AVR back in and problem returned within minutes.
Given the problem occurs with all inputs (HDMI) I guess it's time to go AVR shopping, 'cos I don't suppose repair of a 13 year old entry-level AVR is going to be economical.

I
Update:-
Bypassed the AVR and no problem for 2 evenings using the AVR-TV HDMI cable for PVR-TV.
Swapped the AVR back in and problem returned within minutes.
Given the problem occurs with all inputs (HDMI) I guess it's time to go AVR shopping, 'cos I don't suppose repair of a 13 year old entry-level AVR is going to be economical.
It's a museum piece, well past it's sell by date.

Can't argue with that.

I spent today finding out what a sellers' market it is for AVRs - "Out Of Stock" is the phrase I've come across most today (at least in the world of "entry level").
It's just the Covid situation - so much kit is out of stock at the moment, not just AVRs. Less being manufactured, and even less being shipped.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom