Answered Handshake Issues? Sony AV Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by logan1990, Jul 18, 2018.

1. logan1990

logan1990
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    setup: Samsung HDTV 65” 65EH6000, Sony STR-DH550, Apple TV 4th gen, high speed HDMI cables.

Issue: tv input keeps dropping, upper left input box displays every time, sound and video cut off for 3-5 secs typically. Usually happens every 30 mins to an hour or sometimes not even every day.

From what I’ve read so far this could be a handshake issue with CEC? My other thoughts are voltage fluctuations (rural home, i know i have fluctuations regularly when appliances kick on, but i haven’t really observed the tv issue during one of these). Other thought is i need better shielded cable?

Today I have tried new cables between Apple TV (main source of media), Sony and TV - so far the issues seem to be worse. Today it was cutting out several times a minute and even going completely black. I had to restart all equipment to get it to reconnect. I also got a new error message from Netflix today saying content restricted/couldn’t be played - never had that before.

Any ideas for me to try? Don’t want to sink a lot of money into cables if that won’t work, but as it went today, it is unusable.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #3 by Razor, Jul 18, 2018 (1 points)
  3. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,152
    If new cables made it worse than it probably is a cabling issue. Try new new cables that are better.

4. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Best Answer
    We're the cables premium certified? If not I then I would replace all in the setup with these. They can be had on Amazon for around £10 (Omars) look for the certifed logo. I would also try disabling ARC and see if that helps your problem.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,569
    HDMI cables - how long are your cable runs?

Connectivity - to confirm you have Source > AVR > TV.

ARC - is ARC enabled on the TV and AVR?

Netflix - you are viewing via ATV?

Joe

6. logan1990

logan1990
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The cables i changed to were the same brand/type as the previous cables, so it is a little strange that it made things worse.

ATV sits on the AVR, i have about a 6ft cable tied up on that run. The TV is wall mounted so i have about a 12ft cable between AVR and TV, running through an air duct in the wall (along with the power cord to the tv).

Yes, Netflix is through ATV. My TV is “dumb”.

Connectivity - if i understand the question, yes it is direct connections, no switches or adapters of any kind.

ARC - i have an optical cable running from my TV to the AVR - i assume this only is used when I’m watching antennae TV and that the ATV sound is coming straight from that connection.

Is “Premium Certified” more important than shielded? Do i need both?

If i buy new cables i will definitely get a 3ft for the ATV-AVR.

I also have a 30ft run from a computer that has the same issues, does seem to be worse than what the ATV was prior to changing the cables.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,569
    HDMI cable 'Brands' - most 'Brands' are simply that and pull in cables from more than one supplier and simply have them 'badged'.

HDMI cables - can be Standard, High Speed, Premium High Speed and (some time soon) Ultra High Speed certified by an approved Certification process or not Certified and simply claim they support everything you can throw at them.

Shield - all cables are shielded, some designs go above and beyond the minimum requirement, though that tends to make the cable stiffer so can cause mechanical issues!

PC > AVR - that has the potential to introduce some noise into the system, I would disconnect the long HDMI cable and use the system without the PC connected for a day or two and see if that resolves the issue.

ARC - doesn't sound like you are using that Feature if you are using an Optical cable between the TV and the AVR for 'TV' audio.

ATV - connected to the AVR via HDMI means you are best using the HDMI for Audio and Video.

Simplify - minimise the system to one Source the AVR and the TV to aid you in tracking down where you are having noise introduced into the system.

Joe

8. logan1990

logan1990
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Razor and Joe!

I purchased two premium certified cables from amazon for total of $20, brand BlueRigger. 3’ for the ATV-AVR and 15’ to TV. I waited to reply on here to be sure that it solved the issue, and 2-3 weeks later it is going on zero issues! Thanks for your help.