Handset range for the XBox360 etc

Dowelly

Standard Member
All, I hope you can help with me with the following question.

I am currently having a new house built and thinking about putting the Xbox/ PS/Wii or whatever games console, in racking in a study. What range can the controller extend too?? I understand that it can be used through walls. Given this I am hoping to route the output through Cat5 cable to a diplay somewhere in the house and then just place a controller within that room.

Will this work?? or am I going to need games consols in sperate rooms?

Any thoughts??

Thanks

Dowelly

LBP.Nxe

Novice Member
Given this I am hoping to route the output through Cat5 cable to a diplay somewhere in the house
Is this something you've read of somewhere else and know that it works or you are just hoping it will work?

On PCs or Macs, there are two ways of seeing the display of the PC/Mac from a different location. 1) REALLY long cables for the monitor and inputs 2) VNC where a second PC/Mac is needed to connect across a network (whether it be a local one or across a much larger one [eg I can connect to some of my relative's ones across the internet and control their PC as if I was there]).

Even if there does exist a VNC server for the Xbox360, I'm not sure a standard 10/100 LocalLAN would even have the bandwidth to handle the hi-res content that a game or movie would put out - at least not a decent frame rate and that's even before we get to sound, VNC does not do sound.

Now that I've discounted the networking approach, I'd be intrigued to hear how you are going to do this remote(ish) Xbox360 thing that you want to do. It's either reallly long wires for the display and sound or there's a new device that I've not heard of that uses CAT5 cable :)

Bourner

Novice Member
Can't think of a reason why you'd want your consoles in a different room to your display, if your building a new house suggest some custom made cabinet to hide them, you'll see some examples on here. The pads have a 30ft range, not sure about through walls. You'll need a pretty long component or VGA cable to connect to the display, CAT5 or wireless adapter used to connect to router.

Dowelly

Standard Member
LCDBurner

Perhaps if I elaborate on my hopeful setup then any advice would be most welcome.

Central media server by DF Solutions which provides 4 audio and 1 video output. The output of this along with an output for the DAB tuner and xbox for example is then fed through a 8 i/o switching network box and fed through to the rooms within the house. At first only three rooms will have video output with the rest audio.

With the playroom and living room being so close to the study I thought it would be ok to centrally locate the Xbox there and feed the output through this switcher and over cat5. I hadn't appreciated that the bandwidth could not cope with that - I need to have a look at that.

If the distance is only 30ft then this should be ok to have the controllers in the next 2 rooms.

Unfortunately I haven't seen this actually in reality, just something I was told about, and wondered if it was possible.

Any thoughts is appreciated.

Dowelly

Dowelly

Standard Member
Bourner,

I guess I just had the opportunity to rack it and perhaps use the output in different rooms. Also if ever I wanted the Wii or PS3 then these could be dropped into the rack and into the same output feeds.

Just a thought.

Thanks,

Dowelly

SuperSeven

Novice Member
My console is downstairs in my lounge where I play it most of the time in HD.

But I also feed the picture upstairs (For satelite mainly) and the wireless controller works fine from upstairs. (1 floor up through carpet/wooden floorboards/plasterboard ceiling).

Mattk84

Banned
sorry but it sounds like a daft idea to me.every time you want to play a game you have to leave the room to insert the disc !!!

Dowelly

Standard Member
SuperSeven,

thanks for that - it does appear that it is possbile then.

Mattk84 - I do take your point.. just thinking about the idea at the moment.

Thanks

Dowelly

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom