1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hands up those who have bought the Kef Q1s..

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bertha, May 16, 2002.

1. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    There has been a bit of chat regarding these speakers on this forum - but apart from Uncy Eric no-one has said they have bought them/love them/hate them....so hands up if you own them & please let those who desire but are yet to own be reassured that we are not being tools..

I thank you

Berth:)

2. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i got some 2 weeks ago and use them as my rears, got Q5 's up front and went for a Q9c centre and not another set of Q1's centre and rear as a newbie to all this you should get other peoples comments too but i love them. Tried out kef eggs, mission av's and then this setup. The Q's blew all off them away easily in home cinema mode and as for music WOW. All i need now is a decent sub.

3. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    cheers Baggy - you're helping me to make up my mind...I'm going to go for 2 pairs of Q1s for front & rear action & I'm going to stick with my Tannoy MC for a wee while longer until I decide what's best to do with the centre...what does the 9c cost at the mo?

cheers

Berth

4. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    £250 for the Q9C, and Q1's are £250 a pair.

5. imr4n

imr4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You guys know of any internet site which i can get hold of KEF Q1 for below the recommended retail price (i.e. 250 quid)?

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The Q9C is a very good centre, have another think about keeping your baby Tannoy, this might not be the right decision. The whole is great than the sum of the indiviual parts.

7. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    ok I'm gonna do it...2 pairs of Q1s and the Q9c (can't fit another Q1 as a centre & I don't have 6.1 at the mo) - the quandry now is - I'd rather buy the kefs from my local Richer Sounds..I'm also planning to get a Tosh510e from them (pricematched of course) but do they do interest free credit? HiSpek do interest free & as the Kefs are selling at rrp wherever you look I was considering them..anyone recomend them or warn me to go elsewhere?

I am also planning to get the Panasonic AE100 pj (seems like since forever) & hear that Richer sell these also do you think that getting all my gear there would persuade them to give me a tab?

Any thoughts/info welcome as always

awrabest awratime

bertha:)

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a pair of Q1s bi-wired up to my Denon 2802 (using QED Silver Aniversary Bi-wire - £7.50/metre at www.hifijunkies.co.uk) which I use just for music and they sound absolutely fantastic - astonishingly clear and rich, with pure vocals and clear separation. I have them on a pair of Atacama Nexus 6 stands (£49, price matched with somewhere (can't remember where now) at www.hifijunkies.co.uk)

Imr4n, you can get a pair below £250 at a branch of Superfi (www.superfi.co.uk), though I do not think they sell them on their internet site. I got mine for £200 + £10 delivery after phoning the Camden branch (you can obviously also go and pick them up), although other times I was quoted £210 + £10 delivery from them. I would also try phoning Hi-fi junkies and asking them too.

Hope this is of help!

9. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered mine from Hi Fi Confidential in Victoria. The boss there knows Uncle eric and he gave me a great price. I got three pairs.

Chip

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much, chip?

11. imr4n

imr4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm really2 considering the KEF Q1.. is it better than B&W 601 S3 ? i phoned superfi and they could give me 210 quid for the
    KEFs and i think i could persuade them to lower the 601 S3 as well.. help coz i'm confused.. or should i just get the DM303 coz it's a lot cheaper. My budget is limited

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Imr4n, go for the Q1s! There was a good reveiw of them in last month's What-Hifi (in which they were given 5 stars), but as they said in that reveiw, you can't really compare them to the B&Ws until they do a supertest, unless you have listened to them both. But owing a pair of Q1s, I would definately recommend them for the sound - and they look pretty nifty too!

13. imr4n

imr4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mrnab, have u ever tried listening to both Q1 and 601 s3 side by side?

I'm going to superfi tomorrow to listen to both Q1 and 601 S3 side by side... and perhaps DM303 as well if it's good enough for my ear.. Q1 does look much2 better than the B&W.. and i think B&W bass is not that good.. anybody agrees with me?

p.s. i called superfi this morning quoting u as my 'friend' for a pricebeat.. heheh u don't mind that right? and guess what they said, OK just like that.. i should have quote a lower price :(

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I have not listened to both side by side, Imr4n. You are doing the right thing listening to both as everyone's taste is different, and only you can really decide which you prefer. Just take some of your favourite music along to the shop when you go!

15. Stanley_Cooper

Stanley_Cooper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    mrnab,

Having looked at what setup you've I went into my local seven oaks today and demo'd the Key Eggs...

I then tested out the Q1's with a Q9c and the Denon 2802. Have to say that the sound from the q1's is more crisp and clear than the eggs..

I got a quote from Seven oaks for £1200 which includes the denon 2802 Q1'sx2 and speaker cable which to me seems a tad steep...

It looks like you've got the perfect setup that I want as well!!

Stan..

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is marginly steeper Stanley. You can get the Q1s for ~£210 a pair from Superfi, and the 2802 for around about £480 these days. So that's £900 for that lot. Now, I think the RRP for the Q9c is about £250, which means you may be able to pick that up for £30-£50 less (say £220 for argument's sake). So that's approximately £1100, give or take £20. But I'm not sure what a good price for the Q9c would be these days, so you better check that out.

I would call Superfi or hifjunkies, and ask them if they will do you a deal if you buy all 5 speakers (+/- the reciever) from them. See what they say!

17. Stanley_Cooper

Stanley_Cooper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry I screwed up abit.

Having looked at the quote they gave me in actual fact they can do the Q1'sx2, Q9c, Denon 2802 and Speaker cable with an actual saving of over £200 from there own price. Now to me thats not a bad price really init?

Stan..