Hands-on & First Look at the Philips 901F Ultra HD 4K OLED TV

mark800

Distinguished Member
Very useful first look - thanks.

What a wasted opportunity, with no 65 inch and too high a price compared with the 65 inch B series LG. OLED. I cannot see many sales. Perhaps in time Philips will release a 65 inch TV (that's if they are still in the OLED space by then).

the hoff

Thanks for the article Steve and even though I wouldn't consider this set (I want a 65 with 3D), I agree it is good that we have another option in the market.

Just picking up on the comment about dynamic metadata, does that mean that HDMI 2.1 will definitely be needed and does that also mean that no current TV or receiver will have the necessary port to handle it?

I had been planning to get the 65E6 but all this talk of HDMI 2.1 is really putting me off purchasing until this issue has been conclusively resolved

Har-One

Great article.

The real problem is: will it ever make it to the UK shores?

RayP

Interesting read, thanks Steve. As someone looking to change to OLED from a 10 year-old plasma panel it's nice to have an alternative to LG - even if it's an LG panel in this Philips! :D

The price is surprisingly high though. Seems hard to justify. Hopefully there'll be some reviews available soon which will help with the decision-making.

mclingo

Distinguished Member
This panel can really go up againsts the B and C panels by LG as it has no 3D or DV. Ambilight it completely pointless with OLED, essentially defeats the object, OLED's are for dark rooms.

Toon Army

Thanks again Steve for another good read.
Just picking up on the comment about dynamic metadata, does that mean that HDMI 2.1 will definitely be needed and does that also mean that no current TV or receiver will have the necessary port to handle it?

I had been planning to get the 65E6 but all this talk of HDMI 2.1 is really putting me off purchasing until this issue has been conclusively resolved
I am " patiently " waiting to upgrade my display and would appreciate your thoughts on HDMI 2.1 and Display Port 1.4 Will the former be available via a software upgrade? Do we have to wait for CES 2017?

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Another wanting to know more about hdmi2.1
I believe DV can work from hdmi1.4 but as most so far don't seem to be backing it (although is appears to work very well) I want to make sure my future set can handle dynamic HDR10.
Will it be a hardware or firmware update ?
Are the DV licenses very expensive ?
It's a shame HDR is still a bit (a good bit) of a mess after all the work done getting this far...

Last edited:

Yappa

To be fair, in the past I only remember Philips claiming that HDR10 dynamic requires HDMI 2.1.
I would like to hear LG's and Sony's take on it and if they agree.
Still the update question needs to be answered by the mfg asap.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
That's true, I think it all came from the Phillips white paper that was amended afterward.

Philips tvs, well the ones ive seen are notoriously difficult to get a decent picture on.

No Dolby Vision with this and they will be paying LG and then having to add on their profits, releasing late and i bet that LG has a newer panel that does better with peak brightness as well by end of the year.

Seems likely that they wont sell many.

zubeir

HDMI 2, 2.0a, 2.1. It a complete farce. Very poor future proofing, the consumer is more confused, it's a way to fork out more money with standards up in the air.

davidcrofter

Yes the whole HDR issue is a mess and is bound to be hurting sales at this point - Philips could have done decent business earlier in the year with this product but right now with so many doubts it could be a struggle for them ...

The powers that be really need to get their act together regarding HDR @CES 2017 but they will no doubt just fumble on.

albani

its cool

I'll buy this unit!

I'm not willing to buy another LCD panel even FALD!
now I use a fald panel but LCD ise over for me

Oled/Amoled or any new kind of led panels are welcome

"TFT-LCD" over! baclit types Fald/Edge/bottom... bla bla bla there is nothing its "END"

seems a lot of "marketing-tools" to sale this LCDs still! with a not worthy prices!

those are my opinions

I'll run to Oled;LGE/Pany or TPV...

bye++

aido

Interesting article thanks, this line in particular I found interesting:

"Under the UHD Alliance guidelines for Ultra HD Premium certification an HDR TV must be able to tone map out to 4,000 nits without clipping"

Interestingly it seems that lots of the TVs with that certification are actually clipping at a much lower value than this in various tests recently (most of them seem to clip at the top end of what they can natively handle) - or am I misunderstanding this?

So either they got the certification with a different firmware for testing or the UHD Alliance tested them differently?

cobhc2008

Interesting article thanks, this line in particular I found interesting:

"Under the UHD Alliance guidelines for Ultra HD Premium certification an HDR TV must be able to tone map out to 4,000 nits without clipping"

Interestingly it seems that lots of the TVs with that certification are actually clipping at a much lower value than this in various tests recently (most of them seem to clip at the top end of what they can natively handle) - or am I misunderstanding this?

So either they got the certification with a different firmware for testing or the UHD Alliance tested them differently?
I was just about to post that myself. This means that only Samsung's KS line are UHD Premium certified as the rest seem to clip at 1000 nits.

Last edited:

crazyspike

Novice Member
I personally have taken the decision to hold of buying a tv this year even though I have 4k burning a whole in my pocket (awesome play on words there)I have bought a temp 48Inch Samsung JS9000 shop model for £680.

The reason for this is future proof is currently dead in this industry, the TV companies are moving the goal posts every year and the quality control is getting worse, it seems they are systematically killing there own market as I want the tv to last 5 years if I'm spending 4K.

This HDR dynamic metadata and the possibility is yet another potential futureproof killer it has the potential to rule out the need for DV and from the results of DV can be far superior to current HDR10 with less nits, the fact that 2.1 could potentially need a hardware update which rules out all of the 2016 TV's less than 6 months after launch is a joke and I'm happy with my current decision.

aido

I was just about to post the myself. This means that only Samsung's KS line are UHD Premium certified as the rest seen to clip at 1000 nits.
That's what I was thinking - there has to be another test the UHDA uses or maybe it's not a mandatory test? Certainly raises an interesting point as like you say in the recent shootouts only the Samsung could map up to 4000 nits.

It's not mentioned in this link as required for certification (I don't know how exhaustive this is though):
What is UHD Alliance Premium Certified?

Last edited:

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Yea, it was an interesting/depressing podcast
This weeks one is mad-data storage (for the movie companies) potentially going to use synthetic DNA, get a rooms worth of film on disk into a small container of dna...

Matson

Distinguished Member
I personally think omitting Dolby Vision because there isn't much content out there for it isn't a smart move... How long do people keep these TV's 4/5/6 years? I would suspect a year from now we will have DV players and there will be more and more DV content on Netflix and Amazon. If your keeping a tv for 5 years id much rather have a future proof LG with DV that not have it. Not to mention 3D movies are still releasing and the Jungle book that just came out looks amazing on the E6 and its my preferred way to watch it so clearly there is still a point to having 3D.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
I personally think omitting Dolby Vision because there isn't much content out there for it isn't a smart move... How long do people keep these TV's 4/5/6 years? I would suspect a year from now we will have DV players and there will be more and more DV content on Netflix and Amazon. If your keeping a tv for 5 years id much rather have a future proof LG with DV that not have it. Not to mention 3D movies are still releasing and the Jungle book that just came out looks amazing on the E6 and its my preferred way to watch it so clearly there is still a point to having 3D.
While I agree with you, DV costs money and so far manufactures in general seem to be unwilling to pay for it. IF HDR20 or whatever the dynamic metadata version is called is also free which is aided by DV, then there is nothing to suggest DV will fly and be the defacto version.

Giving up your settings and Pq control to someone else is a big pill to swallow for many manufactures.

Matson

Distinguished Member
That's true but it also has the advantage of being more future proof. Give me two identical sets... one with DV and one without DV. I'm going to go for the DV one every time so having DV could also help with sales especially in the high end market which these are aimed at. I would just see no reason at all to go for this at the price its going to be when the LG ones have more features and are cheaper.

cobhc2008

That's what I was thinking - there has to be another test the UHDA uses or maybe it's not a mandatory test? Certainly raises an interesting point as like you say in the recent shootouts only the Samsung could map up to 4000 nits.

It's not mentioned in this link as required for certification (I don't know how exhaustive this is though):
What is UHD Alliance Premium Certified?
Just read through this press release on the UHD Alliance's website and nothing is mentioned about clipping anything over 1000 nits.

UHD ALLIANCE PRESS RELEASEJanuary 4, 2016

So I'm really not sure now, unless specifications have changed since.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published