Hands down Bar none Sony or Yamaha recievers,who's best?

K

KeithH

I here alot about both companys but in the end which company makes a better reciever plain and simple?Thanks and PEACE to all..

Hi KeithH!

This is Haris Ellahi from the Home Theater Forum. :)

I say Yamaha, hands down! :D

Does it really matter to you? If you buy either of these brands you still won't have the "best".

Thanks for the great answer DD (Sarcasm) i never said i was out to buy the best,if i could afford the best which is subjective anyway cause what is the best?I was just asking that out of these two brands what the consensus was?PEACE to all..

I prefer Sony to Yamaha,though thats not to say ones better,just i prefer Sony. :)

Originally posted by KeithH
Thanks for the great answer DD (Sarcasm) i never said i was out to buy the best,if i could afford the best which is subjective anyway cause what is the best?I was just asking that out of these two brands what the consensus was?PEACE to all..

Surely any answer you get here is subjective? I have sony gear (1080 amp and 835 speakers), last weekend i helped a friend set up an out of the box yamaha package.. it certainly didnt measure up to my sony, but it cost considerably less. As is said many times on these pages, go listen to both, and decide for yourself.

I have the Sony STRDB940 and the Yammy RXV595.

I bought the Sony as I wanted DTS and is my main amp in family room jacked into Pioneer 717 (Multimod).

I then moved the Yammy into the bedroom hooked up to a Panny A350.

I think both are very good and each has its good side.

With the Yammy its such a natural sound without a great need for tweaking, not that there is much to tweak which is a benefit for anyone who wants a great sound out of the box.

Thats where the Sony comes in with so much to change especially in the EQ. I know some ppl dont like messing about with it but it really is kewl to have so much control over your sound. In the lounge I use Mission 733 fronts and a Paradigm PDR10 sub amongs others and it is great. Ontop of the Missions I have placed a pair of Canon S30 Stereo Imaging speakers which sound great. I was gonna sell them ages ago but they sound very good with both music and movies.

But saying all this I recently thought about moving the Yammy back down for a while as it is a very nice sound. But the good thing about the Yammy is that it sounds great at any volume level especial low levels for the bedroom late night/morning movies. The Sony doesnt sound as good at low levels I dont think but its not used at low levels very much at all and is superb when loud but still atmospheric OK.

Just watched AOTC again and the opening sequence where the senator ship come booming accross the picture is awesome.

Like previous post, listen for yourself.
But I would say the Yammy is more natural sound and definetely suited to rooms where volume levels cannot be racked up for whatever reason and the Sony is just a monster amp that requires fine tuning and setting up for a great sound, really worth the time learning the features of the Sony.

I've got to agree with obiwan above.

Mate has a Yammy receiver (don't know the model, but was approx. £700 a few months ago) and I have a Sony STR-VA555ES. Both have their strengths. The Yammy has a more 'natural' sound whereas I feel the Sony is a more 'powerful' sound, more outgoing, if that makes any sense.

I like the way that I have full control of just about every aspect of the sound on the Sony, whereas you don't have that on the Yammy to as great an extent.

I would say if that you are going to spend a lot of time listening to (stereo) music through your receiver, then my first choice would be the Yammy out of the two. But if you are going to use it to watch DVDs then deffo the Sony as you have more control.

Cheers

Ian

Advice from others is all well and good But the only person who can decide which amp sounds better is YOU go and audition the amps you are interested in and decide what sounds good to your ears :D :D

Originally posted by sc1977
Advice from others is all well and good But the only person who can decide which amp sounds better is YOU go and audition the amps you are interested in and decide what sounds good to your ears :D :D

I don't think that he intended to buy a Sony or yamaha amp. I think that the purpose of the post was only to generate a rather futile discussion.

PEACE to all :rolleyes:

See x2 above, cant go wrong with that.
OK, if it sounds, your ears must you trust my young padewan.
Someone will always tell you you should have bought this and that instead.:Dif that was indeed your intention.

But then spending best part of a grand on some AV equipment, or more, you wanna get advice. Perhaps the birth of this thread had longer term objective perhaps not. Futile maybe.

I have a chance to buy a Sony STR-DA2ES or a Yamaha HTR-5280 (American Model) both at dirt cheap prices,the problem is there is no were near my town that sells either of these so there is no way i can audition them.I just wanted to get some insight on both brands from people who own them.Im sorry,if i knew i was going to be accused of being a "Fire Starter" from Ian or anyone else i would'nt have asked the question.Again i'm sorry and peace to all...Keith H.

Originally posted by Ian J
I don't think that he intended to buy a Sony or yamaha amp. I think that the purpose of the post was only to generate a rather futile discussion.

Quite a successful post then.

When I die, I'll ask God the question. Only then will I know. Screw knowing the meaning of life, it's not as important as asking such a subjective question as "Sony or Yammy, Mr Almighty, Sir?"

You have to decide for yourself.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom