Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Handling multi-CD sets in SonicStage 3.2 (info!)

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by drmoze, Sep 13, 2005.

1. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Finally had a chance to play with SS a bit. I'm ripping my CD collection (at 192), starting with the box sets before I hit the CD shelves. I did figure out a few handy things for organizing multi-CD sets and compilations.

For single-artist sets, SS handles this pretty easily. After ripping the CDs (which have the title usually followed by "(Disc n)"), I create a playlist with just the set title (or I may add "1-n" after the title if there are n discs total). To do this, I click the "Create/Edit Playlist" box/button near the top right of the My Library listing. Then I select the first album in the set from the left column and click the red right arrow to add it to the playlist. I repeat with all n discs in order. This actually adds all tracks in order, from Track 1 of disc 1 to the last track of the last disc! (Surprised me that it worked as I hoped!) Then click the "Close Edit" button to finish.

The same procedure works for multiartist compilations. The only other thing to do is to right-click the playlist title (usually a pink square as opposed to the blue album squares), and put in the proper artist (may be 'Various'), genre, and initial info. This creates a single title for each multi-disc set with all of the tracks in order.

I then transfer only the pink playlist for each set to my DAP.

The other handy bit is importing compilations (e.g. to bring in an earlier-ripped or accidentally-deleted multi-artist CD). SS unfortunately imports them as individual tracks by artist name, even though they all share a common album name. based on tips in another thread, the easy way to recombine them is to first view My Library by All Tracks (drop-dow on the left side) and then do a search and enter the album title. All tracks in the album will appear in the main window. Either shift-click or click on a title and then press Ctrl-A to select all tracks in the window. Right-click anywhere in the highlighted tracks and heck the 'compilation' box. Exit the dialog and all tracks should be back into a single album. You cna then right-click on the album and select Properties to edit the artist and genre info as desired.

Recollecting the tracks into an album this way may rearrange the order of the tracks. I open the original folder containing the files in a window to the side. (it's usually at C:\Documents and Settings \ All Users \ Sonic Stage \ Packages. Then it is easy to simply drag the trascks into proper order in the SS Library window. And, the tracks automatically renumber when dragged into a new order!! Yay!!!

Hope these tips help. My only hassle now is to remove the multidisc albums on my HD5 and load up just the playlists.

BTW, does anyone know what order albums are sorted in for the Artist view? All of the 'various artist' albums are there, but some are not in alphabetical order...

2. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Slight update: Even though I transferred only the playlists (each containing all tracks of the corresponding multiple albums in the set), the individual album titles still show up on the HD5 menu (which I was trying to avoid!). Is this the way SS is set up to work? I was trying to eliminate the multiple disc titles in multidisc sets.

3. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Update again: I think I may know why the original albums showed up and not just the multialbum playlists that I created/transferred. It seems that when I created the playlists, I simply highlighted the album in My Library and then clicked the right arrow to add the tracks to the playlist. Although the tracks all show up on the right (as described above), I think maybe I made playlists that include a few albums rather than just the tracks.

So, I am going to try later to create new plylists by opening up the album in My Library, selecting all tracks, and transferring the tracks (not the album) to the playlist. This may work--I'll let y'all know....

4. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Creating playlists won't eliminate the individual album titles. Playlists work as compilations, and every time you upload a playlist, the track will go with its individual information about album, genre and artist. If you want to avoid multiple CDs of the same album to show as separate albums, your option is to rename all of them with the same album title. Do it sequentially and their tracks will be added, in order, to the first album. Then go to the track number column and edit everything sequentially. If they don't have the correct track number tag, they will show up in the wrong order (all tracks #1 from each CD first, then #2 etc.).

5. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Beethovenian is correct and has put it very succinctly, but since I already typed up this long-winded reply, I'm going to post it anyway... :)

drmoze, there are a couple of things you need to know.

The first thing is that a playlist is just a list. It doesn't contain the actual songs. It's just a file containing a list of tracks in the order that you choose. If you imagine that transferring albums to the player is like giving a stack of CDs to a DJ, transferring a playlist is like giving the DJ a sheet of paper that tells him which tracks to play from which albums in which order.

Suppose you start from scratch and your player is empty and you attempt to transfer just a playlist without the individual albums. That's like giving the DJ the sheet of paper without giving him the CDs. He can't play the playlist, and neither can the player because the playlist is just a list; it doesn't contain the actual songs. But SonicStage is "clever" enough to know that the songs are missing, and it will automatically transfer the tracks that it needs in order to play the playlist.

The second thing is that the name of the album is stored inside each track as part of the tag (along with the name of the artist, the genre, etc). It doesn't matter what you call the playlist, the track is still going have the album information stored internally and it will appear on the player under that album name.

In summary: you can't have a track that is only in a playlist; every track in the playlist will appear in the Album view under whatever album it came from in SonicStage; and finally, playlists don't change the original albums in any way.

If you're determined not to have multiple disc titles in the Album view, the only solution is to combine the discs into a single album. So you have one album called "Have a Nice Day" that includes the contents of all 7 discs. This was all covered in the "Can I do these 2 things?" thread that you started a few days ago, so can I suggest you go back and read it again! :)

Andrew

6. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, OK, I give. SOnicStage wins again! (At least I didn't try to optimize my Library!!! :eek: )

Seriously, thanks for the info, as I didn't know how playlists worked in detail. Makes sense, as for 'regular' playlists the tracks should keep the album and artist info with them. Didn't know SS would load the entire album, instead of just the songs (or, I guess, that it would load and list them separately outside of the playlist collection). Now I know. ;)

BUT...

I figured out that SS 3.2 handles this in a fairly reasonable way that doesn't require renumbering. First, rip the CDs and add the disc number to each (they may already be there), so the albums have the same tuitles except followed by "Disc n" or similar. Then, rename the LAST album in the set to the name you want for the set. (I just took "Disc n" off the name.) Then, do the same with the NEXT-TO-LAST album, so it has the identical name. SS will ask if you want to ad dit and just cick 'yes' or hit return. These tracks are added ABOVE the previous ones under thegeneral set name. Continue from last to first album in the set. SS automatically renumbers the tracks and adds them in order, so the result is one album that starts at disc 1, song 1, and ends on the last song of the last disc. SS3.2 doesn't "inteleave" track 1 of each disc, followed by track 2 of each disc, etc. It adds each album in as a set.

As a bonus, the original cd albums remain in separate folders in the SS "Packages" folder! :thumbsup:

Did I finally contribute something useful here? :lease:

7. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Drmoze, I was hoping you had found a secret in SonicStage, but my first experience using your method didn't have the same result. I mean, the tracks go in order as you said, but the track number tag (the column is called CD track #) doesn't change to reflect that. That's the order that the player follow. Have you tried to listen to your multiple CD album in the Walkman? I think it won't show in the correct order. Fortunately, it's not difficult to alter the track number. Just select the column so that you're able to edit the number, and from top to bottom go changing 1 (down arrow), 2 (down arrow), 3 etc.

8. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Darnit, you're right! I didn't see the CD track # as that column was off the window to the right. Manually renumbered tracks 25-160 for the 70s set, will do similar for the 80s. Those are the 2 biggest collections I have tho.

I think the only thing I *did* find (not a huge trick) that's helpful is to rename the albums starting with the last one, to keep all tracks in the correct order over all discs to make the RENUMBERING easier! ;)

One more tip: If you rename the discs to the same album name and they do NOT combine, it could be because one disc has 'compilation' checked and another one doesn't. Right click on each and view properties to make sure each has compilation checked.