Handbrake settings for interlaced content

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by eman, Sep 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. eman

eman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi All,

I'm trying to convert several Region 2 (PAL) DVDs of television shows using Handbrake (VidCoder GUI) for streaming from iTunes to my Apple TV 3. So far I've tried a few episodes of Friends, The Flight of the Conchords boxset and some Family Guy episodes, using various different settings for detelecine/decomb/deinterlace. Unfortunately, I can either just about remove any visible telecine lines and end up with jerky motion by using decomb/detelecine or eliminate most of the motion by deliberately encoding as telecined (tff in the CLI field) but then I have really bad telecine lines in playback. Basically, Has anyone managed to convert any TV shows with settings that allow for smooth playback on the apple tv, and if so please could you share!

Thanks!!

Ian

2. eman

eman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    For what it's worth I have found that so far I can get the best results by have all the filtering options apart from De-interlace which is set to Bob. Seems to produce a pretty smooth image and no visible telecine issues so far...

3. CH_Peter

CH_Peter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +331
    I always used the Apple TV 2 preset and then always set the frame rate to "same as source". This stops any jerkiness when encoding for me - by default, the Apple TV profiles have a fps setting that's not always the same as what you're ripping (especially if it's PAL DVDs).