1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hand Strap for 20D - or any DSLR maybe

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by RobertP, May 14, 2005.

1. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    During my recent long weekend with the camera I found the neck strap got in the way as I used the camera pulled straight from the bag and then just slipped it back in the bag.

I don't like the idea of no strap attached to my hand so i've been looking at alternatives. I found this Canon hand strap on ebay but can't find out much about it apart from the listing info. It is meant to be attached to one strap lug and another lug which is on a battery grip. I do not have a grip and have no intention of getting one.

Wrapping the neck strap back on itself as a test, it looks like it might work just on the one lug. Certainly better I'd guess than the neck strap wrapped in my hand.

Anyone tried such a strap? any thoughts? For £16 it may be worth a punt anyway.

2. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,576
    Better picture & £19 here.

3. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The hand strap is great AND you need to attach it to a grip. I don't see how it would work without one.

4. S2K DG

S2K DG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
  5. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tripod mount is a long way from the hand hold side... though the idea looks good.

When I wrapped the neck strap round my hand and pinched it to the camera near the strap mount it took a lot of the cameras weight off my gripping hand - not so tight finger grip needed. That why it looked like it might work. Think I'll give it a try and get one. I could always make a tripod mount fixed bracket if it needs it.

6. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Meant to revisit this thread earlier. I got my hand strap from Hong Kong last week and fitted it to the single mounting for the neck strap.

It would be better if there was a second anchor point at the bottom of the camera but it works fine as it is. The cameras' weight is partly transferred to the back of the hand by the strap and gravity tends to swing the body into your palm so gripping is quite easy.

I am much happier with an imperfect hand strap than I was with a clumsy neckstrap I never put round my neck. One of my better purchase decisions.

And on the subject of good purchases... another one I would reccommend is a cable release - also from a hong kong ebayer. adidt M1 - some noname brand but cheap and works well. Use it more than I expected.

7. jtg

jtg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This product allows you to attach the CANON hand strap without using the grip. They are top quality...check them out at:

http://www.camdapter.com

8. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice idea.

I have got used to the single fixing point and I think I may even prefer it. The strap may be intended to have two mount points but I find it works well as I have it.