Hand luggage alternatives

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Thatsnotmynaim, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +808
    I'm going on a Safari trip in 4 weeks from now and plan to take 30D + 350D + Grips, 4-5 lenses (70-200 IS, 24-105 IS, 17-55 IS, 10-22, 50), 1.4x TC, 580EX Flash, Various memory cards & Epson P2000 storage unit. I was planning to carry this kit on the plane in two parts. Half in a Crumpler and half in a Lowe Pro stealth bag. Now if this new banned hand luggage rule lasts more than a few days or weeks, what are my alternatives? The problem I have is that we are not allowed to take suite cases due to internal flight restrictions. I do not want to put all the kit in my big soft duffle bag with my clothes as it is bound to get bashed about too much. I may just be panicking, but I'd like to know my options.

2. h4rri

h4rri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Best to contact the airline offering the flights and see if they will allow 'small' cases as the HL restriction is in place. Failing that get some Crumpler/CCS kit as they are damn fine bags and should save your kit from damage.

Can you not pack the camera bags into your duffle bag as-is? Would be peeved though if I was going on a trip and wasn't allowed any suitcases :eek:

3. redmax

redmax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I don't know what your budget is but I recently purchased a Peli case from here

They come in all shapes and sizes and you can be certain your gear is 100% safe. if you get the airline to confirm the max size allowed I'm sure you'll find a Peli to suit.

Lifetime guarantee. :smashin:

Hope this helps

4. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    At this moment in time (and this may change rapidly) you cannot take anything electronic/battery operated onto an aircraft. That will include current lenses as they have electronics in them.

HTH

Dave

5. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    Hi,
    you are surely going to need someone to carry all that stuff for you:smashin:, I'm cheap and don't eat much :D

Mike.

6. bstonehouse

bstonehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I can't see this lasting long as Business people will need their laptops. It will mean a review of what is allowed in Hand Luggage though in the future, although I cannot see Photographic stuff being excluded - although there maybe a niche market soon for see through hand luggage bags (and Camera Bags).

7. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    :eek: just had a look at this site and went to the 1470 Protector Case no foam. they have a pic of it open with a GUN in it.:eek:
    Ok, so its a replica with a warrent card as well but christ, they need to update that picture

8. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    I belive the reason was that someone made some package to look like an everyday object due to that I dont think we will be having any more hand luaggage. Am due to fly next week and will test the water regarding equipment.:rolleyes:

9. ush flynn

ush flynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Why?. What do you think they transport guns in? Guitar Cases? It could be a hunting rifle... its not, but it could be. The police and military would also use this sort of thing to transport when they needed waterproofing. What wrong with showing a gun in it?

Just seen you were looking at the glock not the Armalite or the harpoons. Either way if you had a licence and you needed to take it with you you are allowed check it in! Theres a fair chance someone is going to be put on every plane with a gun for a while to come now, ive personally been on an internal US flight and seen a guy with an ankle holster poking out of his trousers. Not sure if he was an army ranger or police or what but he was an official of some sort

10. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am hoping to take my DSLR on holiday next week. I'm thinking of risking it in the suitcase, quite probably in it's original packaging (body only) wrapped in bubble wrap and then the lenses wrapped in bubble wrap and put in the camera bag.

If it gets damaged then i have insurance which will hopefully cover it. I will read the small print first though.

11. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +808
    Would you mind being put in the hold though as I probably couldn't take you on as hand luggage!!:D

12. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +808
    Please report back.. My holiday is probably going to be a once in a lifetime thing for me and taking all my kit is vital. It is no good if it gets broke and the insurance cough up no problem. The problem I have is that I will not be able to replace it where I am going out there so I would miss out on the photo opportunity with little to no chance of going back!! Let's hope this ban is very short lived. :rolleyes:

13. bstonehouse

bstonehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I have always thought that is a problem with putting the flash memory cards through with normal luggage - don't they get blitzed by the xray machines. If they don't, then that will be only way to take it (in the short term at least)

14. mr jones

mr jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    it'll be back to normal in a few weeks but expect more scrupulous analysis of your gear, such as showing the inside of your camera/lenses and showing that it works be prepared to turn on your laptop, ipod, card reader etc to show that it is genuine and not a decoy. they cant ban handluggage completely, not until hold luggage is treated with better care by handlers, it cant just be picked up by anyone at bagge reclaim. simply because people would never put valuables in hold luggage because the chance of it getting stolen increases dramatically when expensive items leave your person. the person behind you at checkin could listen in when asked whethr you ahev any electrcal items in your luggage and then steal your gear at bagage reclaim

15. mr jones

mr jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    the recommended direction for film canisters were leadlined canisters was it not? surely this would work for memory cards as well if there is a problem

16. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    Why bother with all the security alerts at the moment. an english based company advertising a way to carry a gun :rolleyes:

I dont dissagree with you about the forces needing them but they could have been lots of other things to demonstrate that the case can hold "something"

Im not pro or anti guns, just thought it a bit over the top.
    you, of course dont. i dont have a problem with that.

17. steve.o

steve.o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry if this is a bit off topic:

I agree with redmax in recommending a Peli. I've used some of their products at work and we've got one of their catalogues. I love the small print for the 'Unconditional Guarentee of Excellence'

PELI PRODUCTS will continue to guarantee the product directly, against breakage or defects in workmanship. This guarantee does not cover the lamp or batteries in lights. The "O" rings must be kept greased and replaced if damaged per product instructions. (Replace "O" rings annually or when damaged.) Any liability, either express or implied is limited to replacement of the product. This guarantee is void only if the Peli product has not been abused beyond normal and sensible wear and tear. Please remember that the guarantee does not cover shark bite, bear attack and children under five. :rotfl:

18. baldrick

baldrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I think you'll find the cases are made by an American company....

19. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    Yes but its an english based company dissplaying the pics.
    I just found it a bit weird thats all.