Han Solo Blurred

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by mothball, Oct 16, 2004.

1. mothball

mothball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok maybe it's just my copy (zone4, trilogy), because nowhere on any site that I've been to has anyone else mentioned this. The contentious scene in 'The New Hope' chapter 24 where Han Solo walks over the tail of Jabba. He is on my copy so blurred, that at the point where he emerges to Jabba's left his face is totally unrecognizable. The problem starts when he walks behind Jabba and it only comes right when that little walk over digital trickery is complete. The rest of the dvd pq is fine. Bear in mind I'm only watching it on 29" tv, I'd hate to think how bad it'll look when I finally get my projector. [Have to finish the kitchen first to have any chance]. I've read plenty of comments about other problems but none about this. Has any other buyers had this problem or should I be returning my copy?

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    My copy is fine. I find this hard to beleive as that scene you reffer to is one of the newer remastered scenes. I cant beleive they would do it badly and have his face blurred.
    It could be your copy, or even your DVD player. You should try to borrow new hope from someone else with a copy and check it again!

3. mothball

mothball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks AML, Mmmm-- Don't think so! It's like the the digitalized film stock of Han has been corrupted when added to the cgi. I know that Han wasn't originally 'stepping up' in the original film stock as he was walking around a human character and Lucas had to modify Han's character to make him appear to walk over Jabba's tail. As I say the rest of the scene is fine. Nothing else behind his character or Jabba is out of focus. I may have to see If I can borrow a copy to compare.

4. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Mine is blurred as well. I have to say I only noticed this after reading this post and then only after single stepping through the sequence. I'd watched it several time full speed without seeing it, now I can see it at normal speed.

I'm going to have to stop reading this forum, I was happy before, now every time I watch this I'll see a blurry face.

5. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its digital blurring and its on my copy too its the CGI manipulation element or looks that way to me.

6. girliedrinker

girliedrinker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't it obvious that they've deliberately blurred his face as he moves behind Jabba because he's moving away from the camera and hence out of focus?

7. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lets hope they can make it look smoother for the 30th anniversary edition.

8. smallmanongn

smallmanongn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah it is slightly blurred.
    I think somewhere on the disc it says they re-did that scene again as they re-did the Jabba character to make him look more like he was in Episode 1.

9. mothball

mothball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bobcar.. Aint life tough :). Same here, but at risk of getting a little of topic, I know that when, or should that be if I get my projector I WILL enjoy this movie. You know why, because a few years ago when sony was demo-ing the vpl-vw10 or 11ht, I can't remember which, at big boys toys here in Auckland, they were playing phantom menace. I thought there were extra scene's in it. There wasn't of course, just more details to see. It was like watching a different movie. I'm looking forward to that, and if there are a few bad bits amongst the good then I'm prepared to do the right thing and risk it. Gee I'm reckless!!

10. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Edge Enhancement anyone ?
    With a projection system you will notice things like that more and Phantom Menace has loads of it.

11. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,382
    Sad but true:(

12. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +676
    Not being a hard core Star Wars fan most of the digital imrovements weren't a concern for me, yet the scene with Jabba in the 1st film doesn't look right at all. It seemed so obvious when watching the scene that they were a composite of 2 scenes. Han dioesn't seem to be looking at Jabba at all, rather it seems obvious that he's pointing into space. Then when he walks round the back it's like an episode of South Park. i.e. it seems as if Han has been cut out and animated by hand over Jabba. A scene that adds little and should have been left out.

13. mothball

mothball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I would have to totally agree with that Rob20! Or at least they should have done a cut away to another aspect of the scene with voice over then back again as he emerged to jabba's left for continuity if Lucas really felt the dialog had to stay. But I suppose he was using cleaned up old stock and the rest IS good!

So I gather, it's not just zone4 then?

14. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Notice it now :laugh: I'll have to stop reading these as well. I t was the same when that Beatles book by Mark Lewisohn came out and told you where all the edits were :suicide:

15. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Probably unrelated but on my brother's cheap dvd player, when a tie fighter flies past the screen there is a huge green square around it. No matter how much I played with the settings (tv and dvd) I couldn't get rid of it. Never noticed it on my setup.