1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halo2 - XBlive mode... what the fudge?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by gavan, Nov 13, 2004.

1. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    What's with these huge wait times when searching for a game using optimatch or quickmatch? I often wait 3-5 minutes to find a game, sometimes it takes so long that I just give up. And then it seems that after the game you are chucked back out to wait again. It makes for a very unsatisfactory experience as you have very little chance to learn from your gameplay mistakes by jumping straight back in and doing better.

Also, you have very little control over what sort of game/map you get to play ... the matching system decides it all for you. Another thing that makes it tough to learn multiplayer.

This is pretty poor - I can see what they are trying to do but they should have just added the option to see what games are running out there and then jump into them, like almost any other XBox Live title.

Jeez - even Burnout 3 looks like a good XBL implementation compared to this. I am very disappointed with Bungie on this one. They had so long to develop this and then they still screw it up.

Gav

2. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    Well, it takes all tastes I guess, but the multiplayer is very well thought out IMHO. You'll get to learn the maps as the playlists are on repeat, and there's only 11 of them. Not choosing which room you go into is an advantage if you ask me, as the game takes that chore out for you. Add some friends to your party and they follow you wherever you go, so it is kind of like have a room anyway.

Bungie have posted on their forums that they are working on an imminent patch to solve the long search times, though I've never waited more than 2 mins myself. I've had a blast on Live, and so have alot of others if you look in the online gaming section. :thumbsup:

3. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Well, I'm glad to see that it's possible to have a better experience but IMO even having to wait 2mins is a bummer and shouldn't be necessary if the MP was better thought out. As I said, I often find that it takes so long that I just give up.

I can't see how not being given a direct choice of map (and only a degree of choice as to the type of game) is any sort of 'advantage' for the player. And being bounced back into the waiting list for another random game at the end of every game that you manage to get into certainly does not help one to learn the maps.

From the games I have played I can see that the MP could be very good indeed. But because of the pain involved in actually getting a game I can't see myself having the time to learn the maps and practice my playing. Why couldn't they simply allow you to browse games and then join free slots like just about every other XBLive title out there? Or to host a game and open it to the world - again like every other XBL game.

Gav

4. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm with gavan on this one - it was taking so long to do anything, i wasn't sure if the Xbox had actually frozen/hung.

Definately an issue that needs to be sorted. They should use something similar to the mp modes from Unreal tournament etc wereby you can see a list of current servers running games of each type and how many are playing them.

You just choose the one you like and jump on in

Albeit, i'd still be crap at the game anyway :)

Gary

5. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I've given up. not playing halo2 online again :(

6. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    Well, they tried to do something different with it, and good luck to them. The lists of servers with names I've never heard of, let alone having any idea how good the people in them are (like in Rainbow 6) is rubbish if you ask me, and I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore. Its just random in Rainbow 6 I've found - not ideal. At least when you do it in Halo 2, it tries to match you with someone of a similar ability...

You can create your own game anyway, a custom game. Its not like they haven't given you the option to host your own room if you want to. Its just that if you want to post stats, then you have to play a bit of everything, which is a good idea to show the best all-round players.

I'm beginning to realise I'm in the minority here, but I can see what they've tried to do, and I like it. And the long loading times will be solved soon, if you believe Bungie. Theres an update on the way...

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    To be honest i'm with you on principle Loreznini, although i've yet to play Halo 2 online. It does sound like a great idea - I guess it's only how well it works that is the question. I'll find out on Monday when i'll have Halo 2 online :thumbsup: .

8. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    You can set up your own game but ONLY people on your friends list can see it. Not a lot of use if you're looking for a 16-player game.

An update for speedier game joining would be most welcome. The attempt to find people games based on their skill level is admirable, however I still feel that there should be an OPTION to browse server and join games that way.

Being continuously bounced around between game types and maps at random (with long waits between) does not help you to learn the game. I suspect that Halo2 online will become the preserve of a cliquey hardcore of nerds with the time to learn the game.

Gav

9. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    Unfortunately, that is the way of all online games. I'm too impatient and butterfly minded to stay with any title long enough to master it...

But this is where the ranking system is designed to help, in that you won't find yourself in a room with cliquey hardcore types, as you would if you had the option to browse random servers as you suggest. If you come back to Halo 2 in 6 months, then your ranking will still be low so you're playing with those of similar skill, until you work your way up the rankings.

10. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    me and some of my friends join up in party and head to training ground. not into all the ranking games, and i only play them for teh big team battles as you cant have that in training ground. at least they have tried to implement something different and hats off but its not for me the menu system. but i can live with it, you forget about it when your in the action :)

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The friends option is really good. You can join games your friends are in most of the time, straight away.

That said there are some issues with Matchmaker, particuarlly the long wait times to join games. Apprently Bungie are on it and a fix will be released shortly.

Personally I think part of the problem is that they only form games of equally ranked players. This is what is causing alot of the delays I think, waiting for similar ranked players to become available. It does make it fairer and the matches are usually pretty evenly matched. This makes the game much more enjoyable opposed to games like Rainbow 6 which is just impossible for the novice to get into. Slaughter plain and simple.

There should also be an option on Matcher maker games to replay game instead of having to come out and looking for another game.

Having played this game for many hours now I do think the faults of the Online Multiplayer are minor really.

Halo 2 on live is the same as most online games, PC included you have to have a bit of patience to get the right experience. You never seem to have to wait more than 2 or 3 minutes to get a game which considering there can be over 100,000 people playing this game atany one time.

Compared to Halo / Halo 2 on xbconnect it is a massive improvement already.

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    I think all online games should match people of similar abilities though as, like you say Harrisuk it can just be a slaughter fest otherwise meaning that the game becomes redundant for noobs. It would be good if there was also a sliding scale so that if you wanted to you could either search for games containing people with a wider range of abilities (to make finding a game easier & quicker) or games with people of a better ability (so that you could progress up the rankings faster).

2-3 minutes is nothing really to wait for a game. With some PC games it can take ages - i.e. keep trying servers which although have spaces when you click then come back saying they are full, or people just kick you as soon as you get in as they only want certain players or clan members on the server. Half the time as well you end up playing with a load of very good players or bad players (depending on how good you are) and you'll either just keep getting killed or it will be too easy.

13. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    All these are well made points, and having browsed the Bungie forums, the same points are being made there. Updates will soon be available to build on what they have started...

14. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Having played this for another few hours tonight with people from the forums, I must say that the closed games work really really well. We were playing it for ages, no American Noobs brilliant.

For the most part its lag free as well even with 16 players. I did alright for the most part :thumbsup:

15. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spent all Sunday playing Halo 2 online, and I was quite impressed. Apart from the long wait times for a game (hurrah for my GBA), the opti-match is pretty well put together. Each game was competitive, and a whole lot of fun.

Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but I was pretty shocked by the professionalism online. Say what you want about console gamers (as opposed to PC gamers), but after playing for 12+ hours, I didn't get team-killed once (at least not on purpose), and in the team games everyone seemed to be actually working for the objectives. Pretty shocking, and nothing like the public servers I used to play Day of Defeat on.

Grabbing the enemy flag and walking out of the base to see a teammate sitting in a warthog ready to give you a lift back is too cool for words. :thumbsup:

16. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    I've been playing optimatch (various games) and I must say it's brilliant (even if I am very poor at the game :D ). Games load up quickly for me (usually within a minute) and there is absolutely no lag at all! One of the most fun games i've played for a while - great stuff!

17. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a good point. Apart from a couple games in which everyone was lagging badly (probably due to whomever was hosting), Halo 2 has been lag-free.

18. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Its a very sweet game.
    Its exciting and fun , unlike some other mp games which are incredibly po-faced.