1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Halo" type effect on Sony KV32FX68

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bendy67, Apr 11, 2004.

1. bendy67

bendy67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have noticed that when dark objects are on the screen they have a bright white "halo" around them. This is not just when things are moving. Has been especially noticeable with the golf this weekend with players wearing black appearing to have a bright halo around them. Is this a known problem? Is there a fix?

2. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

What you describe could be caused by scan velocity modulation.

To see if this is the cause, select the "movie" picture mode. If the effect dissappears when you're in "movie" mode, then the halos are being caused by SVM (scan velocity modulation).

It's quite likely that the problem isn't related to SVM, but it's worth a try.

3. bendy67

bendy67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has disappeared when I switch to Movie mode "but" picture appears quite dark/ dull colours. Any more miracle cures? Many mant thanks for response though :)

4. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the exact same problem on my FX66.

It is Velocity Modulation and people on this forum are working on a fix now, so watch out for that.

5. bendy67

bendy67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply am just so pleased to have "cured" it. Was driving me mad.Have upped the contrast in Movie and happy to live with that for now.

6. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it made me mental too.

7. Fagulha

Fagulha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, well, I was thinking that the differences between the modes (Movies, Live and Personal) was just the balance between contrast, brightness, colour and sharppness.

Can someone explain the others differences?

8. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes apparently they do affect deep level settings, the full extent of this I do not know.

Movie switches off VM and enables a more dynamic and neutral color output, other differences are unknown to me. If anyone knows more then please post it.

9. nd4spd

nd4spd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Unfortunatelly I must inform you that the "movie" mode DOES NOT switch off the SVM on FX68. On some other Sony models it does but on FX68 it doesn't. The reduced hallowing induced by movie mode is an effect of less "sharpness" applied to image, so the medium-high video frequencies are less emphased.

Vali

10. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Would that not suggest that the problem can cured by adjusting the sharpness in personal mode.?

11. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Movie mode on my FX66 does not turn off VM either, I thought mine was an exception as everyone else says it does on other TVs.

What was described could have been the result of too much sharpness as the effects are similar, now I know the FX68 is like my 66 I can agree and say it's definitely the sharpness.