Halo story - What have I missed? (Spoilers)

McNab

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I used to be well into the Halo law, reading the books and buying the (dissapointing) comics, but after Halo 3 I lost interest in the expanded universe of Halo.

Fast forworward to Halo 5 and John 117, the last spartan is joined by 3 other spartans, Kelly, Fred and the other one. Where did they come from?

What has happened between episodes 4 & 5? To be honest, I'm struggling to remember what happened at the end of 4. We defeated the Diadect and rescued the Infinity, but obviously didn't rescue Dr Halsey who is helping the Covenent do...something?

Can anyone help me to fill in the gaps?

John was never the last Spartan, I think at some point there was marketing material saying he was, and it has stuck, but it was never the case in the lore. He was part of Spartan II program which produced around 30 soldiers from an original intake of about 75, most didn't survive training and augmentations. Fred, Linda and Kelly are 3 others from that program, and they were in the same Blue team with John from the beginning of training. The Spartan IIs are the originals and the best of the best. As for the Halo 4 - 5 story I'll let someone more knowledgable on that answer

It is kind of annoying that not much is explained regarding events between games unless you read all or most of the books.
Like Halo 4 never explained why you were fighting the covenant again, and Halo 5 doesn't explain the Sangheili civil war.

John was never the last Spartan, I think at some point there was marketing material saying he was, and it has stuck, but it was never the case in the lore. He was part of Spartan II program which produced around 30 soldiers from an original intake of about 75, most didn't survive training and augmentations. Fred, Linda and Kelly are 3 others from that program, and they were in the same Blue team with John from the beginning of training. The Spartan IIs are the originals and the best of the best. As for the Halo 4 - 5 story I'll let someone more knowledgable on that answer

I thought all the others in his team died in the books with possibly only Kelly being injured and put in a cryotube.

Halo law? Think you mean lore. [emoji16]

Lol. Yes, you're right. I thought it was wrong at the time but went with it anyway. :)

It is kind of annoying that not much is explained regarding events between games unless you read all or most of the books.
Like Halo 4 never explained why you were fighting the covenant again, and Halo 5 doesn't explain the Sangheili civil war.

I don't think you should feel you're missing out if you've not tracked down everything else in other medias.

I thought all the others in his team died in the books with possibly only Kelly being injured and put in a cryotube.

No, I dont think so. Kelly was injured and yeah put into cryo, but she recovered. I think the whole last spartan thing was because John was on his own when they went through slip space at the end of Fall of Reach, leading into Halo 1. So as far as that was concerned he could have been the only one left as they had no idea.

So, according to the videos King Tones linked to, I should have read the Halo: Escalation comics series to know where Blue Team came from and listened to podcasts to find out why he and his chums are bording that ship when we first see them.

I thought they were searching for assets and prevent the covenant from getting them on that ship.
I'm definitely going to have to play the campaign again soon.

There was something in season 1 of Hunt the Truth that doesn't tie in to Halo 5, and that was the part about Chief being accused for killing some ambassador.
It was cleared up in the podcast but not even referenced in the game.

Going into this totally blind. Only got half way through Halo 4! Was talking to some pupils today about the story behind Halo 5. Led to some heated debate about the storyline. This might prompt me to revisit the MCC again.

There was something in season 1 of Hunt the Truth that doesn't tie in to Halo 5, and that was the part about Chief being accused for killing some ambassador.
It was cleared up in the podcast but not even referenced in the game.

Yep, there were a number of things that didn't actually materialise or were even referenced in the game, which is pretty disappointing.

The marketing for this game was totally at odds with what actually happens. MC painted as a Traitor? Why because he basically when to Meridian instead of reporting back to Infinity? Locke 'hunting' him down across the galaxy? He followed him to Meridian to bring him in, and after that was looking for him to HELP him.

The campaign is really disappointing from this point of view.

As good as the podcast was, I kind of wish I hadn't bothered with it.

My son loves Halo and loves reading also, hence thought getting some Halo books may be a good extra for Christmas.

I'm hoping some people here will know a bit about the books and could maybe advise a good set or collection, if they are grouped as such, that they could recommend as a good starting point.....?

I have no idea how many books there are, whether they follow on or independent stories etc.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not too clued up either but I think the book most people said was a good lead in to the games was The Fall of Reach. Not just a good halo book, but a good sci-fi read in its own right.

My son loves Halo and loves reading also, hence thought getting some Halo books may be a good extra for Christmas.

I'm hoping some people here will know a bit about the books and could maybe advise a good set or collection, if they are grouped as such, that they could recommend as a good starting point.....?

I have no idea how many books there are, whether they follow on or independent stories etc.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah The Fall of Reach is a good book and stands on it's own even if you weren't a Halo fan. Most of the books are fillers between games and don't really follow on from each other, but add story to the core story from the games. You can get a trilogy of Fall of Reach (prequel to Halo 1), The Flood (follows along halo 1s timeline and what else was going on), and First Strike (between halo 1 and 2). Fall of Reach is also available as a set of comics or graphic novel which might be even more appealing depending on what your son likes.

Thanks in advance.

This is the list of books on the inside cover of one that I have:

Fall of Reach
The Flood
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx
Contact Harvest
The Cole Protocol
Evolutions
Cryptum
Glasslands
Primordium
The Thursday War
Mortal Dictata
Silentium

I'm sure there are more by now.

Yeah, Fall of reach was pretty good and you learn all about how and why the Spartan programme was started.

The next one, The Flood, was just a rehash of the first halo game and had a lot of masterchief running down corridors and shooting stuff. It must have been hard getting chapters like the Library on the page. The most interesting parts, for me, was whn the story focused in on the normal soldiers trying to survive on the halo.

I'm pretty sure I read First Strike, but can't remember it.

I haven't read anymore.

I've recently order those 3 books.
I'm really looking forward to reading them.

Ava I can't wait for the Fall of Reach blu-ray.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom