• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Halo: Reach (UK Release: 14 September 2010)

Crovon

Distinguished Member
:thumbsup:

sordid_sentinel

Other thread was closed :( so I'll chuck this in here.

I wonder what kind of game it will be? From the picture doing the rounds it looks like it could be a squad based game what with the heavy gunner on the left, sniper on the right, maybe a medic second left(?) and the other 2 guys.

Only speculation ofc :D anyone else got any thoughts on it?

122555d1243892952-new-halo-announced-h522.jpg

Zzebedee

That makes sense.
I doubt bungie would be developing 2 standard fps halo games at the same time after stating that they wanted to try other things.
Not big on squad/class based games but it being from bungie pretty much guarantees it'll be decent

D

Deleted member 152499

And what's with the word 'Falls'?? If that was intended to mean 'Fall' 2010 there would be no 's' on the end.....

EDIT: All I know is that Bungie have just fryed my head with all this Halo goodness...I just can't take it all in, and I well want one of them special ODST packs with the controllers in :zonked:

Codehead

Distinguished Member
And what's with the word 'Falls'?? If that was intended to mean 'Fall' 2010 there would be no 's' on the end.....

I think they mean 'arrives 2010'. They've mis-spelt the title too. It should be Halo: Retch :devil:

D

Deleted member 152499

I think they mean 'arrives 2010'. They've mis-spelt the title too. It should be Halo: Retch :devil:

Or Halo: Reaching deep into the franchise to knock out just one more money spinner for Bungie and M$ :devil:

Reach is obviously a bit more...snappy :smashin:

saibot

That makes sense.
I doubt bungie would be developing 2 standard fps halo games at the same time after stating that they wanted to try other things.
Not big on squad/class based games but it being from bungie pretty much guarantees it'll be decent

Would also tend to agree and in the trailer it says "spartans are on the ground". After playing with a bunch of spartans in the Halo Wars game, have a full squad based game would be class.

Billy Goodgun

Distinguished Member
zOMFG! This r goin pwn all t3h gamez in 2010. i can haz reconz 4 reach?

i wantz beta NOW lololololololol

Given that the trailer gives the impression of a full scale war and it starts with a multiplayer beta, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the 360 version of MAG. Bungie have the best online matchmaking, stats etc when it comes to multiplayer gaming, so they would be the prime candidate for a large scale FPS multiplayer game.

D

Deleted member 152499

Might be having a n00b moment here, but what's the official definition of a "squad based" game?? Is it something like BF:BC where you pick a class and therefore have a set choice of weapons (ie, Sniper class, Assault class etc)?

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Moderator/Games Reviewer

I took it to be a reference to the first Halo book that this game is based off "The Fall Of Reach"

So i read it as "Reach falls 2010", as in the planet Reach will fall to the covenant.

Incidentally Fall Of Reach is my favourite of the Halo books, i always thought it would be a cool game revolving around all the spartans, seeing how they all died and left the chief as the only one of his kind, i would make a guess at a TF2 style game in the Halo universe, from what i rememeber the book references Spartans having certain specialities although they are all enhanced some are better snipers, some are particularly fast etc

I suspect Bungie will expand on the book here and make a class system.

Im actually really interested in this game, it could certainly be the game to pry me away from MW2 in 2010 :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 152499

I think the reference to planet Reach falling in 2010 is spot on Guns :thumbsup:

Project1Stealth

Standard Member
I can bet every single bit of cash I have that you will play as one of a group of spartans. I think that its going to be the same sorta system as graw 2 when you can direct them and get overlays. Its obvious there will be different specialitys with the groups of spartans, it may be republic commando and give the player a special manuver when they aim at an object like a door. You would also be in an older version of the MJulinor suit which means no shields lads. You are going to have to be more careful and tactical when you fight through this game. The story line might be split between the master chief and the others on the surface, but I opersonally believe that it is going to be more focused on the others rather than MC.

RobG123

Nah, it'll be straight up Halo 4 (obviously not 4 as its a prequel but you know what I mean)

By that point, it'll be 3 years after Halo 3 was released (Sep 07) - time for M$ to cash in on the fanboys.

Funnily enough, Halo 2 was released in Nov 04 = 3 years before Halo 3...

Billy Goodgun

Distinguished Member
Personally, I think MC will only be in Halo: Reach as a cameo. I would place a bet that you'll get to play as him for a short while (or perhaps in multiplayer instead), but I think it's going to focus on the other Spartans more. I could be wrong, but I imagine by now that Bungie want to work on something other than Spartan-117 by now.

Also, I would think that, if you make it all about the Chief, it would rather limit your ability to try new things - fans would have certain expectations if you stuck with Johnny boy. If this is a new IP, then it makes sense to switch it up and move to a new character or four.

Project1Stealth

Standard Member
Well i doubt that it will be a MC game because they have really gone as far as they can push him. The main thing that appealed to the gamers was the favct that mc was almost invincible but in a prequel he will bhe alot more vunerable. It is going to have to be a new set as people who have not read the books do not know about the rest of the spartans and what happened at reach and their side of the story.

RobG123

Totally buy that the Cheif may not be the main character. But I don't think we'll be seeing squad based fun - think the gameplay will be straight up Halo-style FPS.

I can see them using multiple characters in the same way as ODST - i.e. flashbacks / forwards etc.

Either way, can't wait :D

Billy Goodgun

Distinguished Member
Not sure if it will be squad-based or not, but one big clue that the gameplay will be massively different for multiplayer is the fact that Bungie are holding another public beta.

If Bungie had just tweaked Halo 3's multiplayer, they wouldn't need a beta... :thumbsup: Can't wait to find out more!

Billy Goodgun

Distinguished Member
OK, here's a thought: we're fast approaching Bungie Day (7th July), and ODST has little left in the "surprise" stakes. I'm both hoping and speculating here, but does anyone else think Bungie Day would be a good time to release the first tidbits of info for Halo: Reach?

Please, Bungie. Please. :lease: :fingerscrossedsmiley:

Captain Speedy

OK, here's a thought: we're fast approaching Bungie Day (7th July), and ODST has little left in the "surprise" stakes. I'm both hoping and speculating here, but does anyone else think Bungie Day would be a good time to release the first tidbits of info for Halo: Reach?

Please, Bungie. Please. :lease: :fingerscrossedsmiley:

Would bve nice to hear some/any info on Reach, but can't see them releasing any info until ODST is out as it would draw attention away from ODST by giving us information on Reach.

Billy Goodgun

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I think I'm probably being a bit hopeful - I would expect instead that we're more likely to receive info on the yet-to-be-released Mythic Maps and perhaps some of the Firefight maps.

Then again, Bungie do stand to generate more ODST sales on the back of the Reach beta invite if there's extra hype whipped up by releasing Reach game info.

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom