1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halo PC Beta

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by CENSORED, Sep 14, 2003.

1. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, if this thread upsets the mods or infringes any of the rules of the forum just remove it. I don't want to be kicked out for the third time, so I ask that this be dealt with without prejudice. I offer this as nothing more than information, I don't condone theft or piracy.

I suspect most PC gamers know about the Beta 1.5 release of Halo for the PC which was leaked recently. I had a chance to look at it this weekend running on two different machines and thought the following might be of interest and nothing more.

There were no installation issues whatsoever on either machine which appears to be at odds with install problems reported elsewhere. There is a prompt to install DX9.0b if not already on the machine which seems to suggest that Beta 1.5 is not far from a release version. GeForce 3 with half a meg of PC 2700 and an Athlon 2400+ ran the game OK at 800x600. Video Setup allows the setting of Resolution, Refresh, Effects Detail, Reflection, Specular, Shadows, Decals, Particles, Texture Quality, Model Quality and Gamma. Stuttering during the game required most settings to be set at a medium or mid-point mark to make it playable. Looks and plays just like the Xbox version with the obvious exceptions of improved resolution and, to my mind, better controls which allow for keyboard/mouse/gamepad setups.

In addition, there is a Network Setup screen which allows selection of 56k, DSL/Cable (LOW, AVG and HIGH) and T1/LAN.

The other PC was a Radeon 9700 Pro with one meg of PC3500 and an Athlon 3200+. All settings were left on Max or High and the screen resolution was set at 1280x1024. The game ran very sweet and smooth on these settings as you'd expect but in the close combat firefights on board the Pillar of Autumn there were severe slowdown/framerate issues on a few occasions. Given the machine specs this came as a surprise even allowing for the fact the game was a beta.

I only had about half an hour to play with the game but I would say that anyone tempted to play this version should wait for the real thing. It is likely to still be a little buggy (crashed to a black screen on one occasion) and still requiring optimization. Gamers should sit tight and wait.

Oh yeah, a couple of other things. Cut scenes in particular suffered from tearing which was partly cured by resetting the refresh rate but this made the in-game graphics worse. There is no option available in the settings for vsync. And please don't ask or PM me for a copy as I don't have one and don't want one, I'm waiting for the proper version.

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    You cant really base anything on a BETA release. Wait until the game is released, first.

Should, of course, anyone want to get Halo. I really can't see Halo as a great game. To me it was very average. The story was pedestrian sci-fi po-faced rubbish. Sound was also woefully underused, even with a 5.1 setup. The outdoor visuals were good, but interior levels left me cold; they were so bland. I also didn't rate the enemies, which I didn't think as effective as those in older stuff like Clive Barkers Undying. As for the weapons? Well, most of them (rifle, pistol, plasma pistol, plasma rifle, shotgun and rocket launcher) all work in the same way: Point and fire in a straight line. Where was the imagination? Flamethrower, grenade launcher are obvious choices, but you could also have a Duke nukem 3d style freeze gun, or shrink ray thingy. Or distraction based ploys like those found in No One Lives Forever 2.
    Perhaps it's just me. Maybe I'm just not getting it, but Halo is NOT a good game.

Russell

3. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
  4. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Russraff - you obviously haven't tried multiplayer Halo with a group of mates, or if you have, I'm surprised you think the weapons are pretty much all the same! You really do need to optimise your weapon choice on a per-level basis to survive multiplayer games. Yes, I agree, the enemies in single player are a bit predictable, but Halo comes into its own with multiplayer.

5. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're not alone matey. Hated it. ;)

6. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I did try Halo multi player with a couple of friends (who think Halo is superb) and wasn't impressed either. There seems to be a lack of atmosphere especially some of the outdoor levels which seem too big and empty. Halo certainly isn't as frenetic as Unreal Tournament, for example. Having said that, I buy games for their single player aspect and am not that interested in multi player. Perhaps this is the reason I thought Halo an average game.

Russell

7. Nitro

Nitro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Honestly i can;t imagine playing Halo on PC, i can't wait!!

8. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hooray! I also thought it was the most over-rated game ever, in both single and multiplayer modes. I'll definately be giving Halo for the PC a miss, spend my £40 on another 2 months internet connection, and keep on playing CounterStrike!

9. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Really? I thought that would have been Rise of the Robots.

Or maybe Microcosm on the Amiga CD32...

10. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Played Halo for a while but i can't get to grips with console controls on FPS haveing spent years on PC mouse/keyboard combo.
    Hopefully on the PC with multiplayer especially this will give a new lease of life to game i really like just can't control.

General Panic

11. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I personally thought it was fantastic. The only really gripping story i've played in an FPS since "Half-Life"

12. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Or perhaps since Deus Ex, No One Lives Forever 2, Max Payne and Aliens Vs Predator 2 even (some are third person, but we aren't going to be pedantic, are we?).
    Let’s take Aliens Vs Predator 2 first. Very engaging and original, bucket loads of atmosphere and scary, too :eek: . Yes the game had two licenses to draw upon, but the designers broadened the universe, rather than regurgitating what has been done in the films/books/comics. Ironically, I thought Halo - a fresh milieu for a game - was more by the numbers than AvsP 2.
    Deus Ex isn't as gung-ho as Halo, leaving the story and tactics to drive the game. And the story is a good'un, especially if you have read The Illuminatus Trilogy! or are even vaguely cynical about world politics. The RPG elements were also appealing to me and made for distinct gaming tactical decisions based on the choices you made.
    Max Payne was steeped in hoary film noir clichés, but it was still much better than most games, certainly Halo. Max Payne had atmosphere and a style of it's own - check out the level where the guy thinks he is a werewolf for atmosphere and the comic strip story boards.
    No One Lives Forever 2 has so much style, wit, story, looks and just plain fun, it makes Halo look like a five yearold's paint by numbers against a NOLF2 Rembrandt masterpiece.

Really, anyone who thinks Halo is a new paradigm of FPS games, or even just good, has a need to look at these titles. All of which are older than Halo, and all of which are far superior, especially regarding story.

Russell

13. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I've played all the PC games you mention. I thought Deus Ex was overblown sci-fi cliche blandness. The storyline was tedious . The action stilted and the graphics bland bland bland. The AI was laughable. The weapons sucked.

As I've reiterated before you need to play Halo on at least Heroic to see what it can do.Its about pure flowing combat pure and simple. The AI on the harder levels is little short of amazing: you have to think very carefully about how to approach every single situation. Not spend ages listening to some NPC spout rubbish about how you need entry card X to open door Y otherwise the cyber masons will get you. It might have played better as a text adventure!

The only bit I don't like about Halo is when its over! I'd be hard pushed to name a game I enjoyed playing more and I've played as lot of games in the last 25 years. I'd rate Half life as number 2.

If you want a good gameplaying experience play Halo. If you want slow techy garbage there are lots of train driving simualtions about.

14. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Best thing about Halo - having b'tch melee fights when you run out of ammo :)

15. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many PC owners like Halo too you know. I've got a PC, and I still rate Xbox Halo (alongside Deus Ex) as one of my favourite games. My workmate who is a big PC FPS fan comes round mine all the time to play co-op Halo cos he loves it. Sure, Deus Ex has a better story, but Halo has better combat. I can't say which is better.

If you're judging Halo on its story then you're missing the point of the game.

Oh, and Max Payne? Please, no.

16. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Calm down kids :)

Max Payne was pretty good. Not one of my faves, but a good enough game.

17. kevinb456

kevinb456

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are u guys mad?! halo for xbox just rocked!! and when it comes out for the pc its going to be the second best game out - only second to half-life 2 (which is definatly not something to be ashamed of). its gonna rock my world!

18. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    ***minor Halo spoiler in first paragraph***

I'm not getting at consoles in the slightest. I cannot understand PC elitism and console brand loyalty at all. In fact, three of my fav games are on consoles (Mario Cart, Eternal Darkness and Gotham Racing FYI). My beef with Halo was it didn’t do anything new or different. It was another sci-fi shooter with a po-faced story and mundane weaponry (I must admit the last “race” type levels were very good, though). It just wasn’t radical enough to be hailed as superb, as so many have; other games have done, before the fact, what Halo accomplished.

Well, I was going to leave this thread alone as it seemed to have reached its natural end. However, I cannot let this post go unanswered.
    What an absolute heap of rubbish! Fair enough Kev, you like Halo but: “its going to be the second best game out - only second to half-life 2”? What’s that all about? Have you played the finished version of PC Halo? Do you know how well Halo will transition to the PC – will Halo retain what you find to be great aspects from the Xbox version? Have you played the final version of Half Life 2, for that matter? If not, how can you compare the two, especially with the kind of hyperbole, to know it will "rock" your world?

I’m off to take a happy-happy pill, now…

Russell

19. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst I don't necessarily agree with his opinion of Halo per se I have to admit that Russell is absolutely correct in what he says. Comparing two games that have yet to reach retail is barmy. From what I saw of Halo it looked damn near identical to the XBox version with the bonus of a clearer, sharper and more defined image which the PC inevitably brings due to it's hi-res display and pokey graphics, at least with the kit I saw it running on.

In truth, Kev's world probably will be rocked because the beta looked and played very well indeed therefore he can expect only improvements with the retail version. But comparisons will still be pointless until HL2 arrives, and even then comparisons can only ever be subjective. What is probably fair to say is that both will be very good and will do the business for those who 'like that sort of thing'. I unashamedly include myself in that group.

Blimey, I very nearly wrote 'demographic' at the end of that last para, then I really would have sounded like a knob.

20. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Well gamespy have just published the review of Halo and it looks very promising :)

Still might be a little overhyped, but the multiplayer looks fun!

21. kevinb456

kevinb456

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jesus u guys are all waaaay too serious. halo was good not because of inivative new weapons or ideas - it was good because it was so much fun!!! (remember that feeling?) i know you cant make a proper comparison until both games are out but cmon its hardly unlikely that the two biggest games in developement (imo) are gonna turn out to be complete flops. ive seen the movies of it, seen previews and i just cant see howt can fail to be anything short of rocking!! youve got to wonder why all those 'other' people said it was suberb but you dont like it.

well if it turns out to be completely naff, then just reply and i'll gladly eat my hat :D

22. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone confirm the UK release date? I've heard September 30th but don't know if that's official.

23. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    played the game, and yes its just as slow as the beta release. im not going to get into how or when, but ive played it.

for the record, even though its slow, i will be buying this game.

24. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    October the 10th is the official release date. :)

I am looking forward to it!

25. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have played it also but it's limited to XGA (1024x768) & looks dire on a 1280x1024 LCD (Hitachi CML174).

James/anyone else who's played it: same limited resolution choice?

:smoke:

26. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    not for me. played at 1600x1200 albeit a little slowly lol

27. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks James.

Probably reinstall it tomorrow then. Thought something was wrong :)

28. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    monitor drivers mabey?

29. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi James.

Just installed it quickly TBH. Serious amount of garbage on that PC now & I've been deferring a reinstall for ages. Loads of custom resolutions etc..

I'll install it on a "cleaner" PC tomorrow & see how it goes.

Will report back ;)

30. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Kramer,

Let me know how you get on. i can only select up to 1024*768. It looks Ok on the HS10 at that res though. :)

Rob