1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halo not that great.

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by GJC, Mar 10, 2003.

1. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    With all the Hype that surrounds Halo I played it yesterday for the first time.

Initial impressions are graphics looked slick and the sound good.

Now dont get me wrong I am a fan of these type of games, e.g Red Faction 1 & 2, Half Life to name a few which I love, TimeSplitters et. al., all have DeathMatch options too. It is this last option on HALO that my gripe is aimed at primarily - If the speed at which you can run and turn can be increased then I take all this back,. but I find DeathMatch far to slow and boring.

And as for being able to carry 2 guns at any one time (rubbish) I want an arsenal of weopons to frag people with! Come on!

----

I hope HALO 2 is better.

2. hencole

hencole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The criticisms you cite are the very reasons it is a great game. The balance between all the weapons make it a tacticle choice as to which weapons are the best combo for any given situation. As far as speed goes the very reason I hated TS2 was the twitchy controls and 100mph walking pace, along with whoever has the rocket launcher wins.

3. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Hello, Hencol - I agree - some people will like the game for that.

Others seeing it advertised and hyped about will be expecting the same and better as they will have played the games I mentioned before HALO, such as Unreal Tournament and Doom for example, which is why I stand by my statement.

Regards,

GJC

4. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although Halo multiplayer is great fun, I've only played it a couple of times, and don't consider it that important a part of the game. The real meat (IMO) is the single and co-op player experience. That's where it really shines.

5. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i agree with with you there. Single player is excellent but the game comes into it's own when you play co-op.

6. hencole

hencole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I've been spolit with too many Halo LAN games.:D

7. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    OMG! :eek: Someone else agrees with me that Halo is overrated!

After much anticipation and Edge Magazine hype :rolleyes: ) I got Halo.

Played it on single player on default difficulty and at first it was great. Then got to the middle 3 or 4 levels and oh dear. How mundane are they?! A real chore to get through them to be honest.

Completed the whole game in 3 days (of on/off play) and because of the middle section had absolutely no inclination to play again.

The multiplayer/Co-Op on a single TV is unplayable in my eyes. I am a veteran of PC online gaming and playing off half/quarter screen was not for me. The improved PC version should be interesting.

Overall I would have given it 7/10.

8. Lippy

Lippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. Halo was a great game, it brought some excellent innovative features to the genre. However the middle part of the game, the level designers must have got ****** off and used copy and paste. The levels got so repetitive it was a joke. Was a shame, it was a little easy IMO. Roll on Halo 2: Lessons Learned!

Lippy

9. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To me Halo is the ultimate 'grower' game. At first I thought it was good, but not great. It was only when I started playing on Legendary that I realised how great it is. Now it's one of my favourite games ever. And yeah, co-op mode is amazing.

10. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    single player is halo's strength. THe XBox or other consoles just aren't upto multiplayer on one console.

Neil.

11. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yeah i'd go along with that.
    I used to play split screen & 4 player on a 36" tv, it was ok but now i have live & the whole screen and still get to play with friends, i could never go back to playing like that.

12. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Generally true. But if I'm to be picky and go a little retro then I'll have to say I still enjoy Mario Party and Mario Kart on N64.
    :)

I still play through Halo. It's the only game I've gone back to time and time again and I'm still not bored with it.
    The satisfaction of seeing one of the Elite running around with a sticky grenade on him that you've just thrown....:D
    Trial and Retribution on Legendary - class!

:)

13. Paul.B2

Paul.B2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I'm not a big fan of FPS Multiplayer games, i much prefer the one player modes, and as far as that goes, Halo is great (for me). Everyone is different in what they like/dislike, but the majority aren't very often wrong. And seeing as the majority love Halo, then it must be good ;)

14. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    It does depend on the number of people playing deathmatch. Some of the locations are really big and open...which can be a bit of a bind with two or three of you playing...although that's when they let to have a few vehicles to ride around in.

I had a session with 5 people on two projectors and it rocked.

We all moved onto Unreal for a bit and we got fed up with it because it was too twitchy. It's what you are used to I guess.

15. Cloudnine

Cloudnine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Halo IMO offers the best FPS controls...the movements are extremely smooth!:clap:

16. crazymatt

crazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still gets dumped on from a great height by Unreal 2003 though.

17. hencole

hencole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Halo multiplayer really comes into its own with 8 + players. There aren't that many PC players who can get to play on an 8+ LAN. Halo makes this an afordable and easy to use option. I agree split screen is never ideal, but when your using projectors or plasmas it works great.

18. crazymatt

crazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't need to use a LAN to play Unreal 2003
    Works well on broadband.

19. hencole

hencole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True, but I find it is always so much more fun to be in the same room or house as someone I'm killing or saving. Being able to see thier expression or hear their yells of frustration.

20. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unreal and Halo are on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as FPS goes, so its not surprising for people to not like both. Unreal is too "twitch" for me, and I prefer Halo's slower pace. I'm guessing this is why Unreal fans aren't too keen on Halo.

21. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    One of the great aspects of UNreal Tournament is its flexibility to adapt various aspects within the game.

I played UT on via a Broadband connection on my PC a while back and you can select various levels (Deck 16 being a fav.) and play with up to 24 others if memory serves me correct.

----

Can anyone tell me does Halo (I have'nt played it much, but I am gradually getting in to it. - The Slayer/Deathermatch aspect anyway.) have secret areas in the Deathmatch areas.

For example in Unreal Tournament you can open wall panels to access hidden weapons or other items...

Thanks!

GJC

22. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Azrikam

You can as far as I am aware you can slow the Game play of Unreal Tournament down to a walking pace if you wish.

Regards,

GJC

--

(I find Quake 3 Arena on PS2 very twitchy....IMO.) - and I like hearing 'GOD LIKE':devil:

23. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    GJC,

I've never found any secret areas in Halo. Although you can configure each arena to have specific weapons and vehicles. Some of the arenas are ideal for sniper rifles only while others are great for tanks etc

Jus

24. Annatar

Annatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I myself purchased this game with my X-Box on launch day, and I was TOTALLY unimpressed. In its defence though, i've never been a fan of these FPS games, but because of the Hype gave it a try.

I found it boring. The graffics bland when inside the spaceships etc, all looked the same, Outside levels were pretty.

Didn't find anything new with this game really.

I can see its very well done and made etc, just not my cup of tea really.

I won't be buying Halo2.

25. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Can we get this bloke banned from the forum ?

Only joking. :D I agree the space ship levels do get a bit boring...but the the other stuff makes up for it. If you don't like FPSers anyway then Halo isn't going to be your bag. I guess someone's got to buy Simpsons Roadrage :p

26. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with the general sentiments here. I must admit that being a bit of a novice, I completed the game on easy level first. Unfortunately, the bit where you follow that little blue ball around the spaceship and destroy endless amounts of creatures was a chore I would not like to repeat.

I have been tempted to retry the game on a higher level but know I will get bored when I get to this point and give up.

Other than that, awesome game. Being an older gamer in a rural area, most of mates are not into it at all so deathmatches are hard to come by.

I'm thinking I may get Medal of Honour next as I enjoyed that in the PC.

Steve

27. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Halo becomes a totally different game in the higher difficulty levels. To be honest even the normal setting is too easy. Play it on Heroic and its a bit more of a serious challenge.

Play it on Legendary and you really have to think about how you approach the combat and weapon selection as just about every bad guy is well capable of taking you out . They are also much much smarter. They won't just stand there and let you shoot them. They'll try and get you in pincer movements and crossfires. Even the grunts can do a lot of damage.

I've had friends who've player Halo through on easy and declared it dissapointing only to come back after running through it again on heroic or legendary calling it the best game ever!

28. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    IMO Halo is the best FPS of all time, i agree that the middle levels are a bit samey. but i can forgive that as the rest of it is so perfect. The option to only carry two weapons is inspired. it adds tactics to what you pick up and what you let go. on the subject of weapons all the weapons in Halo have there uses NONE of them are filler, they are all useful.

but the real winner is the AI, on the harder difficulty settings it is amazing to watch what the bad guys do. on legendary, on the Library level try using the same tactics to wipe out the waves of enemies - it wont work they adapt to what you are trying to do and work round it.

Play it with the sound up and you subwoofer humming in a dark room. Totally awesome!!!

Gary

29. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Agreed!

What do you want for 150 quid?

Halo IMHO is just fantastic.

Steve

30. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re: The AI:
    There's a great sinking feeling you get when you peer around a corner to see an enemy hiding away only to realize that as soon as he moves, a swarm of them come out from seemingly nowhere.

I also love how some weapons are great for taking out enemy sheilds, but not so great for actually killing the enemy. On the higher levels, you've got to do a lot of weapon switching, and precision bashing to survive.