Quantcast

Halo fix, mirror clean, wobulator disconnect - help?

HellraiserUK

Novice Member
Right, it's finally reached the point where I am fed up with the picture quality of my D50-G4. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic set, but years of accumulated grime have left me with mucky mirrors and I still have a halo at the bottom of the screen, so I have decided this weekend it's getting stripped down and cleaned. Aside from cleaning the big mirror inside the back and the smaller one down the bottom, are there any other optical parts that need cleaning before I reassemble it? Anything to look out for while dismantling (such as springs popping out or clips breaking)?

I've had a crack at sorting the halo problem before by adjusting the mirrors but I couldn't get it to disappear no matter what I tried, has anyone managed to fix this? And finally I've read that disconnecting the wobulator silences the set and provides a sharper picture, has anyone else done this and are they happy with the result? I can't believe Sagem would have gone to the expense and hassle of fitting this part if it could just be disconnected and makes no difference!

Cheers all

Hellraiser............>

mrfluffy

Novice Member
Also remember to clean the little window between the bulb and the colour wheel, this is an often overlooked problem. If you have no window, then clean the colour wheel :)

Disconnecting the wobulator does have a detrimental effect, it does make the rainbow effect a little more obvious. This was one of the big negatives about DLP sets when they were released, so I'd suggest disconnecting it, and then having a look at the image, to see if you can discern a difference. To me, the advantages of having a silent set far outweigh the rare times I can see the rainbow blur.

garrett3

Novice Member
I second what Fluffy has posted.

The wobblymagooglebosit,thingymybob does reduce very slightly the rainbow effect, but as I have stated in my results post the effects of disconnecting the device are minimal and also it gives a sharper picture.

Have a go and see what you think? just fit the minimal amount of screws to hold the screen in place and watch it with it disconnected.. If you are ok with the lack of humm and you are happy with the picture then refit everything and leave it disconnected.
I only wish I did this earlier.

There are no detrimental effects to the tv itself... Its just a vibrating lense to reduce colour flare on fast eye movement across the screen.
Somepeople cant even see this at all anyway so the device is really only for the sensitive.

Its sounds to me that your projector unti may have moved slightly backwards.. has the tv had a knock?

Have you cleaned the lense? do this with smear free glass cleaner and then polish with a cotton glove or similar.. (thats what I did anyway and used the gloves that came with the set)

Dont forget to clean the reverse of the screen too.

HellraiserUK

Novice Member
Cool, will be sure to clean all the bits I can remember the weekend - nothing more annoying than putting it together, then realising you've forgotten something....

Don't think the set has had a knock, although with kids around anything is possible. If the projector has moved slightly, how do you go about moving it back? I'd have thought it would be quite firmly mounted?

Will definitely give the wobulator disconnection a go, can't say I notice the rainbow effect very often just occasionally when panning on a black and white scene, otherwise no sign. If the picture quality improves, then so be it :)

Cheers all

Hellraiser............>

Top Bottom