Halo effect. Is it called that?

Yav

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have two Phillips ambilight TVs, a 55 in my Lounge, and a 50” in my bedroom. The 55 is great. However despite having identical settings the 50” is not. I dont know what this display problem is termed as but I call it a halo. Quite often - especially at night (which is mostly) the screen pixellates along colour / greyness lines. It almost looks like old PC games if that makes sense. There isnt any sort of blending. If a campfire was in the middle of the screen - the light should fade into darkness, but on this 50” it sort of goes in block waves. I would google the problem myself but I’m not sure what the term for this problem is. Could this be something stupid light an eco / ambient room light setting thing?

"Halo" would normally describe an "aura" around moving objects - I don't think that this is what you're referring to, right?

"Halo" would normally describe an "aura" around moving objects - I don't think that this is what you're referring to, right?
So that would not be the term for the effect I’m experiencing. I wil try to take a pic. Its hard to describe. My picture basically looks computer simulated

What model(s) are the TVs?

The effect you’re describing is a pretty common complaint with the VA panels that are fitted to 2020 Philips models.

Your 55” will be an IPS panel which don’t suffer with this problem.

What model(s) are the TVs?

The effect you’re describing is a pretty common complaint with the VA panels that are fitted to 2020 Philips models.

Your 55” will be an IPS panel which don’t suffer with this problem.

Thanks Mark. It’s:

PHILIPS Ambilight 50PUS6754/12 50" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV​

The 55 is a 55PUS6703. I have a feeling its a problem caused at night. I was trying to see the issue this morning.

Taken early this morning whilst still quite dark. This isnt even as bad as it gets - is there a name for this effect so I can google please?

Attachments

• 87B85950-78A9-4C04-AF25-24C1B29A0CD2.jpeg
    87B85950-78A9-4C04-AF25-24C1B29A0CD2.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 103
Your campfire description sounds like banding (gradient banding) but your photo suggests a bigger posterisation problem.

Thanks. Is there any known solution ?

It's often a settings/software issue rather than a hardware failure. Resetting it to default settings is a good place to start, and then try fiddling around with anything that affects shade spacing such as a contrast setting.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom