1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halo 2 review on Game Central

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by russraff, Nov 10, 2004.

1. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Very interesting review. Seems to be unbias and well thought through and a very interesting read. For those that don't know, Channel 4 teletext P375.

Game Central also has news of Warren Spector leaving Ion storm, of Deus ex and thief fame, which I haven't read elsewhere.

Russell

2. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    The reviews on GameCentral are generally very good, they were spot on with San Andreas, and after playing halo for a bit i totally agree with the review.

3. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    I can't get teletext - don't use an ariel and NTL don't have a digital version yet :( . What's the gist of the review?

4. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    It was basically saying that Single Player is good but not much improvement on Halo 1, the fun really begins on Live, the graphics are better and less slow down, and the two gun option is good. But the general feeling was that is doesnt live upto the hype, it still got 9/10 but i think it would be an 8 if was only single player

5. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yeah, there is a feeling of "done this before" on single player. they won't be able to justify another..

but the set pieces are as cool as ever, and the full motion clips build the story very well..

6. booyaka

booyaka
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,024
    not sure whether other have read the review but following article in the times today -

November 10, 2004

Halo gamers set to humble Hollywood
    From Abigail Rayner in New York

THE sight of queues stretching around the block once meant that another Hollywood film was out. Yesterday the crowds were there for the latest hit premiere: a video game.

Halo 2 is expected to make history by becoming the first video game to beat the first-day takings of the highest-grossing movie.

The game, which is played on Microsoft's Xbox console and involves a “super-soldier” defending Earth from a mysterious alien force, was expected to make more than the $45 million (£25 million) taken on the first day of the Hollywood hit Shrek 2.

Sales of the top video game in Britain have already beaten the highest-grossing film. Last week Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, which allows players to pretend to be an underworld criminal, recorded £27 million of sales, beating the British record box-office receipts generated by Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban on its first weekend.

On Monday, 7,000 electronics and toy shops opened their doors just after midnight to cater for gamers keen to snap up Halo 2. In New York 1,500 shoppers waiting to get into Toys ‘R' Us in Times Square queued through the night in lines that snaked around the block. It was expected that millions of copies of the $50 game would have been sold yesterday, with 1.5 million having been ordered.

Bungie Studios, the Microsoft division that made Halo 2, has spent three years and $20 million developing the game and its boss has described it as “Halo 1 on fire, going 130mph through a hospital zone, being chased by helicopters and ninjas . . . and the ninjas are all on fire, too.”

Players act as a marine battling alongside “Master Chief, Cortana and all of humanity”, to fight off the “Covenant”, a vicious, armour-clad alien force seeking to take over the world.

Improvements over the older game include the ability to ride shotgun and fire as your comrades drive, vehicles that show their wounds — bent metal or flaming engines — offering a warning of when to bale out, and smarter victims who call on comrades to avenge them.

Microsoft sells its Xbox consoles at a loss and depends on the games to make this up. The first Halo game, which was released in 2001 at the same time as the Xbox, sold five million copies.

Nice earner for Microsoft and Bungie!!! :clap: :clap:

7. Throttle

Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Well ive got my halo 2 today from gameplay :clap: and think the singleplayer is loads better than halo 1 i found halo 1 abit boring tbh where as halo 2 seems much more interesting with real style weapons rather than all lazer crap stuff :thumbsdow
    got a average of 97.8 atm based on collection of reviews http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/default.asp

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    I've got to wait a few more days as i'm getting it as a B'day pressie but I must say i'm quite looking forward to it now - this and HL2 which i'm also getting - it's a great time to have a B'day. :thumbsup: