1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halo 2 - People with Mods getting banned from Live

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by harrisuk, Nov 10, 2004.

1. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Worrying noises comming from certain quarters. Seem like a few people have been getting banned from live even with their chips disabled.

Does it update live before you can play Halo 2 ?

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes, to play on live you must have the latest MS dash (it auto-downloads). They now check for all sorts of changes on your xbox when starting live so be very careful! Perhaps dont use LIVE if you have a chip for the moment until things have been sussed out what changes are being checked....

3. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

I feared this would happen. I bet they are checking out whats on the HD now, looking for xbox media player files, hd loader etc etc etc.

So it downloads a new version of Dash before you can play Halo 2 ? I was on last night on Project Gotham and Crimson skys and it worked fine, no update. Anyone with a chipped xbox tried Halo2 on live yet ????

4. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    There doesn't seem to be any absolute consensus on what the new "changes" to the ban system actually are - rumours seem to centre around some kind of EEPROM/HD pairing check - I started a thread on this yesterday but not much more has come to light since then...

Best advice is simply to stay off of live for now if you run a modified machine until the smoke clears...

Keep an eye out here for updates :)

K.

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    Exactly - from what i've read the most feasible theory seems to be that if you upgraded the HD before first signing up for Live then you are OK, however if you sign up for Live & then mod your box with a new HD at a later date then M$ detect the new HD & ban you. Like I say that's not gospel just the most likely theory i've read.

When you join live M$ must record your Eprom serial and your HD serial number & they then ban you if you alter either or these so they no longer match up. Has anyone on here been banned yet?

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I was on for hours yesterday. Then again this morning. Aparently your ban comes within 24hrs after the update. I have been able to log onto live this evening but havent been able to join any games on Halo 2, but then again everyone is complaining it is taking ages to get a match.

I am presming if your are banned and try to connect to live it tells you are banned ?

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    Yeah from what i've read it comes up with an error saying that you have been banned for trying to get on live with a modded box - in so many words.

I'm reading this thread and it seems that the overwhellming evidence suggests that if you modded your drive after initially joining Xbox live then you may well be banned. It seems that M$ may have been making a list of people with modded drives and they have picked Halo 2's release to effect the ban for maximum effect! It seems like I mentioned earlier that if you mod your box and then sign up for live then you should be OK as M$ simply record your Eprom & HD serials when you first sign up.

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Interestingly I was one of the beta testers for live. Used it for around 6 months. No decent titles really got bored so canceled subscription. Got my xbox modded. Then signed up for a brand new account using different gamer tag, credit card etc around 6 months latter.

My box has been fiddled with big time. Uprated 120 gig hd switchable chip. You name it its got it. I was pretty sure I would get banned within 24 hrs of updating the live dash and playing Halo 2. Its still working currently (Touch wood :eek: )

Been playing it for hours again tonight so I guess we will see what happens. If I get banned I will just buy a crystal for live. Halo 2 online is that good its worth it. Then there is the online footy as well. You can pick up a crystal with three games from Toys R U For £90 apparently with a voucher so not the end of the world if it does happen. I`m not like many who are getting wound up about this it was envitable really.

9. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    Yeah it's not really the cost of having 2 boxes that's a problem just the fact that you end up having save game files on each box + the fact that X-Box's are not really that small and take up a lot of room. I could do without another large chunk of plastic on my desk, i've already got a 29" TV, PS2, X-Box, GC, DC, Saturn, Megadrive & a Hi Fi on there lol.

I'm kind of wishing that I never bothered modding it now as to be honest I don't really use any of the features of a modded box i.e. don't use hi def, emulators, media player, don't use it for DVD's and i'm not bothered about playing pirate or import games on it.

10. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have a load of gear but its all in a cupboard hidden away in the gamming room so not as much of an issue. There is an Xbox, ps2, dreamcast, amp, ntl box, subwoofer, wireless Ethernet Bridge for Live. You can’t actually see any of it. If I get banned I will probably shift one of the Xboxes down stairs onto the Plasma.

I agree it’s not ideal but I know loads of people are doing this. Its ironic really I own and have played around half a dozen games on live. And like you I buy original games, lots of them to be honest so to target people like us could turn out to be counterproductive for MS. They actually loose money on every Xbox that is sold they are so heavily subsidised. People like me owning two of them for this reason is not ideal for them either.

I say again though Halo2 is that good on Live its worth buying another Xbox for. Apart for the wait for games sometimes on Matchmaker. That is doing my head in. Have you tried it yet what’s your gamer tag?

11. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I have thrown the towel in on this and ordered a new xbox purely for Live access today. Amazon are knocking out Crystrals with free delivery for £96 so I just ordered one of those.

I have been playing it this morning in single player mode as I wont use my chipped box on Live with Halo 2.

I agree with some of you in that they take up a lot of room, I am crammed on my rack now so I will swap the consoles out as and when I need Live and not.

Cheers

Tone

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    Harrisuk - unfortunately i'm not yet on live - i'm getting the Halo2 live pack for my B'Day on Monday so i'll be on then (unless I get banned and then i'll have to get another box). Whatever happens I must now be on Live as Halo 2 sounds amazing and I actually bought the box in the first place for PES4 online as well. At least they are nice & cheap & with the one with 3 free games you can always flog the games on ebay for a tenner each so the box only costs around £60! :thumbsup:

13. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Exactly and although they are pretty big the Crystal is a nice looking piece of kit. We will see not been on yet today.

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    Yeah my XB is a new one a crystal 1.6 & they are rather nice :smashin: . I'm hoping as all my mods took place prior to me signing up for live (will do that Monday) that they will not ban me.

Keep me updated with how you get on though.

15. GiZZeRR

GiZZeRR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So any new info on this guys? I'm about to order new Xbox and will prob get it modded at same time with Xecuter 3 modchip, 250gig drive. I really want to play Halo2 on Live so where do I stand? Is it Ok if all this is done before I sign up and go online for the 1st time? Thanks

John

16. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I`ve had no problems and I`ve been playing it solidly since launch . Just make sure the console hasnt been used on live before its modded and of course ensure it has a switchable chip.

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    ditto.

18. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    Ive just got my xbox modded with an executor 2.6 and im having no problem with a 200gig hd and live/halo2 etc.

I asked the guy who modded it if i should be wary and he replied NO!, its older chips that are missing a few functions and if u change hard drive after already using a std hard drive on live that will result in a ban.

have fun
    jason