1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halo 2 OR Half Life 2

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Stellavision, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    With two of the biggest games for ages just released on Xbox and PC, I don't know which to get first.
    What do you reckon, Halo 2 or Half Life 2?
    I will get both eventually. :)
    Just hoping my pc will handle HL2 well. Its an Athlon XP 2400+ on an Asus ASN8X Deluxe, with a Saphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB and 512MB PC3200 DDR400 ram.

2. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Having got both over the last week I'd say get Half Life 2 ......amazing :thumbsup: ....... I really don't know what all the fuss is about Halo 2, yes its come along a bit graphics wise but the game play is still the same.

HL2 is a major step forward in terms of PC gaming, looks as sweet (if not sweeter) than Doom 3 but plays ten times better.

Your specs look fine to play to game BTW - your not gonna get everything maxed out but then again you don't need to.......................

If you don't want to order it on line PC World were doing it at £29.99 on Tuesday. Which fair enough is not the cheapest - but a good price to say you can walk in a pick one up at your leisure.............

3. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The fuss about Halo 2, is that it's the sequel to one of the best console games ever made. (Doesn't guarantee a good game, of course.)

Halo's delights are never immediately apparent. Only after about 50 hours play (on legendary, please), does it start to reveal its genius. Once it get's hold of you, it never lets go. The "replayability" is very high for a 1 player campaign FPS.

Not saying for a picosecond that HL2 isn't just as awesome, it's just that I found myself going back to Halo more than I did with Half-life.

DT

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I would side with Half Life 2, it simply is a game that you MUST play, I have been playing FPS games since the genre was invented and this is the first time that I can say the genre has taken a massive step forwards since the original Half Life.

Just the overall presentation, the way you move from one environment to another, the sheer difference of gamestyles is unbelievable. One minute you are on the run from the law, the next minute you are scratching your head at puzzles, the next you are in a resident evil horror movie, then you are like Mad Max on the road etc. etc.

Essentially one review summed it up, this game has the scariness of DOOM III, the set peices of Call of Duty and the openness of Far Cry.

I think that Halo 2 is a good solid FPS, but tbh it doesn't show the innovation that Half Life 2 has introduced purely with it's physics engine. Any FPS that makes players stop and just play around for hours with swings, merry go rounds, paint cans, crates bobbing in the water deserves a purchase.

Where Halo 2 does win is in the AI department, Half Life 2 does suffer from lazy AI in some situations.

Your spec is slightly better than mine and I can run it pretty much perfectly at 1280x1024 @ medium settings.

BTW : No fighting on this thread boys and girls or it will be locked quick sharpish :p

5. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    And I'm very happy to hear it! Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Halo fanboy! (imo, Halo owes an enormous debt to Half-life, and I'm sure Bungie would be humble enough to admit that).

In defence of THX's comment: "but the game-play is still the same":

Um, I for one wanted it to stay exactly the same. I think Bungie may have changed too much, and ever so slightly spoilt the balance of the original (which to be fair, would be extremely difficult to replicate)

Secondly, there's only been three years between Halo & Halo 2 - both one the same hardware.

HL came out six years ago (when the average pc had a 400Mhz cpu). There have been massive changes in FPS land and computing power during that time> I'd be shocked if it we're not a quantum-leap over the original.

DT

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    HL2 is 2001
    Halo2 is Star Wars

Which is more fun.
    Which is the better film.
    Which one will you watch more often.

Is there really any point answering these questions?

Whats better beer or wine?

7. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Beer of course!!!!!!

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

8. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    In my opinion Half Life 2 wins hands down as a single player experience where as Halo 2 is the best (non MMORPG) online game I have ever played. If you can get both - do so and enjoy the best of both worlds (plus a solid single player Halo 2).

:)

btw. I think your PC will do a goodish job of playing HL2 but I would consider upping the memory to 1Gb...

9. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Looks like I'm going to be buying HL2 over the weekend! :thumbsup:

I'm not sure increasing ram over 512MB will make a great deal of difference for gaming.

10. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I wonder if I can convince my boss to let me install HL2 on my work PC?

He let me do it with AvP2 and I never left the office!

haven't got the space for a pc at home. Or the money, for that matter :(

11. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I think many of the newer games (Far Cry, Doom 3, Half Life etc) do benefit from having > 512Mb by obviously reducing the amount of caching to disk. When Valve had the press day in the US last week the PC's (P4 3.2's) had only modest graphics cards (in the form of Radeon 9800 Pro) but 2Gb of Memory...

12. dvdmike007

dvdmike007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    half life 2 by far best game i have every played well worth the edge 10

im running a twin xeon system
    2gig of ram
    nvidia 5950 ultra

13. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Put it this way:

I haven't touched Halo 2 since I got hold of Half Life 2.

14. dvdmike007

dvdmike007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    same here

15. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,153
    ...why anyone would want to play a game for 50 hours before you see the "genius" is beyond me :confused: You see that within a few minutes of HL2....

Halo2 isn't a bad game, but it's nothing on the gaming experience HL2 gives.

Personally I'd say buy Halo2 first, because you'll play it, probably enjoy it, and then go on to something better in the form of HL2. Buy HL2 first, and Halo2 can but nothing but a disappointment imho....

16. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I, like many, was expecting far too much from Halo 2, and was a bit disappointed. I still remember playing Half-Life on PC from years ago, so I reckon Half-Life 2 will be the best game available. I just wish I didnt have to wait so long for it on Xbox!!

17. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I'm sure the overall gaming experience of HL2 will be pretty good on Xbox, but the graphics will probably be no where near, so I shall save this game purely for pc enjoyment. :)

18. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mus be a good PC!

19. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    You would be pleasantly surprised after all the fuss of people upgrading it is not really needed to still fully enjoy this game.

Very different experience to Doom III where it was frustrating to know the graphics were unbelievable but unless you had a ninja PC you couldn't run it above slideshow mode.

20. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Just been down to choices to hire a dvd and I've finished up hiring Halo 2.
    So it looks like I'll be playing Halo 2 first now! :D

21. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I love it! :D
    Just reached the Arbiter level and I am totally impressed by Halo 2.
    I realize there have been quite high expectations of this sequel, with some people being dissappointed in the end after a long wait. I a certainly am not dissappointed and am probably in the other minority of people which prefer it to the first one.
    If Half Life 2 is going to be better than this, I can't wait. :thumbsup:
    I'm not sure whether to buy it myself or see if father chrimbo might drop one in for me. :laugh:

22. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Overall out of the two games, I prefer Halo 2 . . . . . . .

Half Life 2 is a cracking game, I guess i'm only about half way though (The Bridge). It does seem to over use the VERY impressive psyhic engine a little so far, and the driving sections I really could of done without. But all in all a very good game, but . . . . . .

I find myself drawn back to Halo 2 due to the multiplayer side of things, at the moment i'm re-doing the Campaign mode in Co-op and spending at least an hour or two on LIVE a day.

Once I finish HL2 I don't think i'll go though it again, but Halo 2 will still be getting hours of use months down the line.

23. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,153
    Sorry, overuse ?? :confused: ?? You don't like it that EVERYTHING in the game moves realistically, and the environments are much more interactive than in any game ever before? Bizarre.

I do agree in a way on the driving bits - I'm enjoying them, but the driving sections are a little too long imho...

24. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    No, I think the psyhics are superb, but at the moment I feel that they are showing them off, instead of the game just being based in an enviroment incorporating them.

I can totally understand why they want to show them off, and the fun that can be had throwing tables and chairs all over the place is great. But the game just feel's a bit like a demo for this technology at the moment.

I'm only so far in, so maybe the game will balance itself out over the whole duration and more gun dependent battles will happen.

25. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I think the real test will come when HL2 is released on Xbox. Valve will have to cope with the same performance limitations as Bungie had to with Halo 2.

Comparing a £100 console-based game to a £1500 PC-based game is like comparing apples with oranges really. Not exactly a level playing is it?

Let's hope Valve's masterpiece survives the transition intact?

DT

26. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    Yeah it's a bit unfair to compare them as one is running on a P3 733 mhz with a souped up GF3 graphics card, where as the other needs a 2 ghz processor 512 meg or ram & a GF4 (all now pretty low tech in PC terms) to run it at a reasonable level (although the min specs are lower than this).

Both are outstanding games in their own right & both will get a huge anount of play! HL2 is without a doubt the best single player experience i've had on a console or PC. Even better than Zelda: OOT IMO. Halo 2 is a great 1 player game, but it's the multiplayer where it comes alive! Playing Halo 2 on Live is a joy that noone should miss - it's brilliant.

Anyone who enjoys a great video game should own them both as they are 2 of the finest examples of gaming that there is. :thumbsup:

For me this year is all about 3 games - Halo2, Half Life 2 & PES4. There have been a huge amount of quality games released this year - Doom3, Farcry, FM2005, GTA:SA (with the likes of Pimkin2 & MP2 still to come!) but the 3 games mentioned stand above everything else in my opinion. But that is just that, my opinion - i'm not a big footie manager fan or GTA fan and i'm sure fans of those games would argue the point for those games.

What most of us will probably agree on though is that this has so far been the best year ever for gaming....and there's more to come!

27. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
    I have just got into HL2 and it is simply amazing , i have a pretty top PC

A64 3500, 1 gig ram, 800XT PE graphics, so i can play at 1600X1200 with everything on.

I am currently in the speedboat and I absolutely love it its like being in a James Movie. the sense of space and freeness , the amazing effects and graphics is SUPERB!!

I hope there are MORE driving sequences because this is great, plus you have to stop now and then to kill a few enemies and dodge the helicopter etc etc. The WATER LOOKS LIKE WATER!!

I played Halo 1 on PC and got bored fairly quickly (im sure there are loads who love it so whatever takes your fancy) , but this takes FPS to a new level, the others are games HL2 is an Experience, I loved the 1st one back in 98 and this is even better + the amazing graphics and engine..

28. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Loved HL1 and Halo1. Finished Halo2. Loved it although it did feel easier tham Halo1 am now trying to play through it on Heroic - not easy. Although Halo1 and Halo2 are excellent games, with great graphics and sound. It's the plot that kept me hooked for both. Just can't wait for Halo3.

29. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I've currently got Halo 2, loving it to bits, a little easier than the first one, but still satisfying to play.

I bought Doom 3 when it came out, but my PC is playing up so haven't installed it yet, hence why I haven't got Half Life 2 yet.

Waiting to complete the single player before going on to Live, I'm about half way through, so still some time to go, I'm getting up earlier on the weekends right now to play it :):):) While the other half is still asleep.

It has indeed been a great year for games, wonder what will be in store for us next year.

30. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,951
    Why choose?

Half Life 2. Certainly the best single player FPS so far.

Halo 2. Certainly the best single AND multiplayer console FPS so far.

If you have an Xbox (with Live) and a PC, you owe it to yourself to get both. :thumbsup: