1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halo 2 on Pioneer 43" Plasma

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by oxfordyankee, Nov 16, 2004.

1. oxfordyankee

oxfordyankee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Hi

I have a Pioneer Plasma PDP-43 (cant quite remember the actual code). I have it hooked to my XBox through the advanced AV pack straight into one of the scarts on the Media Centre.

The problem I have is that I just don't think the picture I am getting is all that good. Certainly nowhere near as good as the gamecube I have.

I was wondering whether or not I am missing a setup issue.

I have checked on the Xbox that it is set to Widescreen and Pal-60. The plasma reports that it is receiving a 625i RGB signal when I switch the XBox on and then it switches to 525i when I switch Halo 2 on. This seems strange to me.

Is that what I should be expecting?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

2. papachumba

papachumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what seems "bad" about the picture?
    are you sure the cable are plugged in properly at xbox's end? have you tried connecting the xbox to the normal telly, and does it still display the same problem?

i didnt use the gamecube on my plasma but the xbox has superior graphics. Did you try any other game?

you could try using component cables, not scart to connect the xbox to the plasma, this will give you the clearest picture possible. I am using a cheapo xbox component cable, the likes of which can be found on ebay for 15 squid.

you can further enhance the signal by switching the xbox to ntsc mode, but for this you need to get it chipped and then use special hack downloaded from the internet to set xbox's bios to display in ntsc progressive.
    i was amazed when i did this.

halo 2 is a bit choppy though, try using burnout 3. (for some reason halo2 was really dark on my screen and i had to up the brightness to see everything)

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Sounds completely normal.
    Are you using RGB ?

Have you set the Xbox settings to 16x9?

4. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    Creashor - I too have a Pioneer 43". Are you running your Xbox in NTSC? An NTSC signal will output 525 lines, PAL will output 625. I wonder if this is because you're using 60Hz mode...? I'll check later tonight...

I run my PAL Xbox in High Definition, so it outputs an NTSC picture and Halo 2 runs in 525p on the plasma (its actually a 480 progressive picture with 45 lines of overscan).