1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halo 2 - Officially amazing

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by AgentCool, Oct 30, 2004.

1. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Just in case you had any doubts about Halo 2 being as good as the original, I have the latest copy of Official Xbox Magazine in my hands in which the game gets 10.0/10, a rating never before given. The previous highest was the original Halo with 9.7/10. With this and Half-Life 2 (which received Edge's 5th coveted 10/10 rating) being released within 5 days of each other, I think the week starting 11th November must surely be the finest on record for quality of releases.

Official Xbox Magazine conclude their review with the following summary:

"We doubt you'll ever play a better single-player and multiplayer game on this generation of consoles"

Looks like GTA: San Andreas has had its thunder well and truly stolen.

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,004
    To give Halo2 10/10 is shocking (let's face it, it's the "official" X-box Mag so they're hardly going to give it poor marks). I got bored during the first level, same old graphics (with a couple of tweaks, but nothing special), same old enemies, same old repetitive gameplay. Maybe I'm being harsh as - for consoles - there probably is nothing better out there, but as most people now own PCs, well there's so much better out there. Halo 2? Farcry it ain't...

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i have a friend who's a self confessed halo junkie and even she said it's not that great. very good, but nothing spectacular. She was even disappointed with the storyline, and you can't do co-op on xbox live apparently. 10/10 from the x-box magazine means nothing, absolutely nothing. Reviews in official magazines aren't worth wiping your arse on.

4. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hahahahaah 10/10 Hahahahaaha

B0ll0cks

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    For fps's I stick to the pc. I have played the original Halo port to pc and wasn't impressed with either the single player or multiplayer and quite frankly wondered what all the fuss was about :confused: I found it to be buggy (probably a bad port though and is not comparable to the xbox version) and gameplay wise repetative and nothing special although some of the vehicular activity was quite enjoyable :)
    There are far superior FPS's from many years ago to be found on the pc(QuakeIII, Unreal, No One Lives For Ever, Medal Of Honour to name afew) not to mention some of the more recent titles (call of duty,Far Cry).
    I'll probably check out Halo 2 if it's ported to the PC correctly but with the future titles coming out for the PC (Stalker, HL2, Fear) I'm sure it's not gonna hold up against those I'm afraid :thumbsdow

6. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    I don't get why everyone has to be so polarised? Either its got to be the best console game made ever so sell all your other games or its dull and repetitive so don't bother buying it? It will be neither.

Where are all the normal people like me who enjoy the hype, but don't get caught in it? I'll enjoy it for a few weeks - I love blowing stuff up (especially nasty evil alien stuff) - and then move on to something else, while playing the multiplayer off and on for the next year or so.

I was a fan of Halo because it did everything it set out to so well. Alright it wasn't the most innovative, but it was polished to perfection, and is one of just 3 games I've ever completed - Half-Life & Metal Gear Solid being the others - and therefore Halo for me was one of the best games I've played. Not the best, but definitely gripping and enjoyable.

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I've been playing games for over 20 years on all sorts of platforms and all sorts of genres.

I had more enjoyment playing Halo on the xbox than any other game: I even enjoy the library level!

However I have no doubt that the PC version sucks having played it a bit at work. ( I feel Halo was really designed to use the Xbox controller for a start).
    Unlike other games Halo fundamentally changes the higher up the difficulty levels you go. Legendary might as well be a totally different game compared with normal given that your approach and experience will be so vastly different.

( I had nightmares about being trapped inside a crashed escape pod whilst running low on ammo!).

I found in Halo that using cover and terrain came very naturally whereas in most fps it can feel a little forced to run up behind a rock and duck down whilst conducting a firefight with multiple enemies and chucking some grenades about. The transitions between close quarters combat to long distance are very smooth and cohesive.

Far Cry and HL I loved but Halo really got under my skin.

8. i-bert

i-bert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Do you expect anyone to care what your thoughts are on a game that you stole?If you had bought it and was dissapointed then fair enough,but it sounds to me like you didn't even want to like this game,a free game at that.

9. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116

Ermm not really.. GTA is a completey different game and out already for a different console.

10. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Damn right. nothing amazingly new, but also nothing too much to complain about, just a really good, fun game.

Having seen trailors, number 2 looks the same, and a bit more, but to be honest, if you're one of the million people who liked the first, then that's probably what you want.

halo would be a lot different if it was meant for a PC, but it's not.

11. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    To be honest I'm looking forward to Halo 2 online far more than offline...

12. Throttle

Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Im looking forward to halo 2 online mode really i used think halo multiplayer was great though it tedious singleplayer the pc version wasnt much good at all :thumbsdow
    Got gta sa great game but not brilliant i thought from what played so far more the same (which is good) few new moves and cars but with worse radio stations on car radio and homiez gansta style thing going on :boring:

13. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I know for a fact most of the people making these comments :

(A) Wont buy this title when its released. You know who you are. You are a disgrace.

(B) Havent played the multiplayer. Its brililant.

(C) Havent played it online. For all you free loaders who wont be buying the original and thus wont experience the live play have a go on Xbconnect so you can see how good it actually is.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but seriously to say its a bad game is absolute rubbish. Graphically there are better FPS on the PC. In terms of playability show me one. The online muliplay on Farcry is absolute garbage and this is pretty much universally agreed upon :rolleyes:

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,949
    Sadly you will always get the fools who will come on just to dis a game (that they have downlaoded) just to try and make themselves look good :rolleyes: . I frankly don't care what others have said, i'm sure it will be a great game (just as Halo was) in both the single & multiplayer mode. To put these other posts in context, I heard off someone else (who had also downloaded it) and he never left his room for 5 days until he'd finished it!

With my B'Day aproaching I have brought this game to my better halfs attention and i'm very much looking forward to playing it! :thumbsup:

15. drdavewatford

drdavewatford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not surprising that even this forum has its share of fanboys ("Halo 2 is brilliant, best ever etc. etc."), and also jealous PS2 owners who will knock Halo 2 on principle ("It's rubbish, graphics no better, don't know what all the fuss is about").

I suspect that Halo 2 IS great - I loved Xbox Halo and will be really surprised if Halo 2 isn't even better - but wouldn't give the OXM review much credence as they set the bar really low for superlatives. It was pretty good at the beginning, but is drifting more and more down the kiddie audience route all the time. Give it time and it'll be the XBOX version of C&VG. Now only worth buying for the demo disc IMHO.

I tend to average out comments and scores from Edge (hypercritical, and seem to be slightly anti-XBOX) and Games TM (more generous, slightly pro-XBOX).

Incidentally, Edge gave Half-Life 2 a score of 10, which to me is more telling than 10.0 in OXM for Halo 2. I'm suspect both will be great, though - can't wait !

Dr. D.

16. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,004
    I came on just to dis a game, to make myself "look good"? Oh please :rolleyes: I've played Halo 2, I wasn't impressed, I'm entitled to my opinion. Simple as that really.

I've not actually said at all that it's a "bad" game, I just find it boring and frankly there's alot better out there on other formats. So 10/10 is a joke imho.

17. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    By the sound of it smurfin you only played the first level which by what i read on other gaming forums is the weakest level in the single player mode as it`s probably like the first level on halo 1 wheres it more of a training level to get you into the swing of things rather than an out and out fully blown level. It`s meant to really pick up when you reach lvl 2 by peoples review of the game and surpass halo1 and if does and the xbox live mode plays well then a 10 shouldn`t be to far of the mark.

18. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,004
    Actually you're right there, I've only played the first level (didn't play anymore as it's in French). Might give this a rent when it's released then...

19. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I've also played this - I've pre-ordered the special edition so no abuse! :)

The multiplayer is simply brilliant compared to H1 - and Halo 1 was the only game where I've ever actually gone round to someones house to play multiplayer with a load of people. Was so much fun! Actually, played Command & Conquer at uni in the labs with lots of people... that was a good laugh too. Anyway...

I've only played the first 2 levels as its in French and I wanted to save it til I got the English version. Level 1 is fairly simple but as someone else said, think its there to help ease new folks into the game. Level after that was pretty cool (and tough! although it was on legendary...).

Halo 1 was simply the best ever game I've played on a console - and there was definitely room for improvement. Repetitive levels near the end were a bugbear for me.

Halo 2 doesnt even 'need' to revolutionise itself - if it aint broke, dont fix it! All it needs to do is add polish and improve the level design, oh, and add 'live' support. And it has.

20. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ive got it not played much so far but looks good

21. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    A game should never get a 10/10 :laugh: sure it is a quality game though doubt it could be as much fun as GTA: SA but then again they are completely different games.

22. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,949
    GTA:SA is a dull game IMO, played it for an hour or two when I first turned it on and then haven't been back to it since. It's no better than the other 3D GTA games IMO.

Regarding the 10/10 comments - it depends how the rating is viewed. If the rating is literal and implies that the game is perfect then no game should get 10/10. However if you view the rating as a rating of how good the game is compared to the competition then the 10/10 rating simply means it's the best out there in it's field.

IMO if Halo2 and HL2 are the 2 best shooters going then there is nothing wrong with them receiving such ratings. All reviews are swayed by personal opinion though and the only way to know for real is to buy and play the games yourself.

23. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    I agree gthom3 - you should never take ratings literally. 10/10 does not mean perfection, just flawlessness; there's a big difference. The wording of a review should hold far more clues as to how good a game is than the score it receives.

24. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    GTA:SA is far from a dull game dude.. maybe you're jst no good at it :laugh: jst kidding.. To be fair i still think no game should get 10/10 through principle, and some ppl have already said this game is nothing special to them, 9.9 is the maximum a game should get. Anyway for trusted ratings i use ign.com or gamespot.com as they're reviewers usually get it right.

25. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,949
    As said above though reviews scores are not as literal as that. All a 10/10 score means is that as things stand the game being reviewed is the best out there and that there is nothing that could be called a fault in the gameplay, graphics, sound etc. Personal opinion will always sway review scores in either direction, which is why Gamespot have the reviewers tilt. For example the 3D GTA games are just not my thing although they are well produced games. For example, take my all time fave game (PES4)! Unfortunately the PS2 struggles with the game graphically and you get slowdown so even though i'd rather play the game more than any other it can't really get 10/10 for that flaw. My reviewers tilt on the other hand would ensure that it got the best score that I could still give it though. As the X-Box version doesn't slow down & has online play it will almost certainly be a 10/10 game for me!

26. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,292
    Just had an email telling me my pre-order for Halo 2 Limited Edition has been dispatched :thumbsup:

27. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    6 days early?! Who was that with?

28. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,292
    I pre-ordered with DVDCrave, cost about £36.35 and was told it wouldnt ship until Monday 8th so I was suprised when I got the email today saying it had already shipped.

29. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    The bloke in Game I pre-ordered from rather cryptically added that they would phone me if it arrived earlier than Thursday without any prompting from me.

30. Kish Kash

Kish Kash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At last, someone who know what he's talking about :smashin:

Halo only really comes into it's own on legendary.

KK