1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halo 2 multiplayer modes

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by captaineyecatch, Nov 8, 2004.

1. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Heres the list of multiplayer modes you can play online/system link etc on Halo 2. Remember these are the ones built into the game - you can make up your own variant by changing the settings eg. CTF with only Snipers and camo units etc. Plenty of choice...............

Slayer – kill the most opponents

Slayer – The classic deathmatch variant. 25 points to win.
    Team Slayer – Take on a small team of enemies in a straight up Slayer thrown down. 50 points to win.
    Rockets – All rocket launchers, no motion sensor. 25 points to win.
    Swords – Sharpen your Energy Sword and power up your overshields. 25 points to win.
    Snipers – All weapons are sniper rifles and there’s no motion sensor. 15 points wins.
    Phantoms – Everyone has active camo, so watch your back. 15 points to win.
    Team Phantoms – Everyone has active camo and you can organize into up to 8 teams. First team to 25 wins.
    Elimination – You have one life per round. The last payer standing wins the round. First to win 3 rounds wins the game.
    Phantom Elimination – You have one life and everyone is invisible. Last player standing wins the round. First to win 3 rounds wins.

King of the Hill – control the hill for the longest time

King – Stay on the hill for a total of 2 minutes to win the game. The Hill does not move.
    Team King – Your team must take the hill and control it uncontested for 1 minute to win. The hill does not move.
    Phantom King – Control the hill uncontested to earn time. Everyone has active camo and the hill does not move. 1 minute wins.
    Crazy King – The hill moves once a minute. Be the first to earn 2 minutes on it to take the crown.
    Team Crazy King – Your team just earn just 1 minute uncontested on the moving hill to take the crown.

Oddball – find the ball and hold on to it for the longest time

Oddball – The classic game of free-for-all Oddball. Hold the ball for 2 minutes to win.
    Rocketball – A variation of Oddball with nothing but rocket launchers. Control the ball for 1 minute to win.
    Swordball – Tense rounds with swords and no motion sensor. Own the ball for 30 seconds to win a round. First to 3 wins.
    Team Ball – Up to 8 teams can go head to head in this game of team Oddball. First team with 2 minutes ball control wins.
    Low Ball – Team Oddball with a twist. Everyone on your team must hold the ball for at least 30 seconds to win.
    Fiesta – An odd game of ball with random weapons. Earn 2 minutes ball control time to win.

Juggernaut – only the Juggernaut can win…and if you are the Juggernaut, everyone is out to get you

2 on 1 – One player is the Juggernaut, the other 2 are teammates. Only the Juggernaut can score and 10 points wins the game.
    3 on 1 - One player is the Juggernaut, the other 3 are teammates. Only the Juggernaut can score and 10 points wins the game.
    Ninjanaut – The Juggernaut has active camo and a motion sensor. You don’t, so work together to corner him and take him out. 10 points wins.
    Phantom Fodder – You’re invisible but you have no motion sensor. You’re being hunted, so watch out! 3 rounds wins, 5 points wins a round.
    Dreadnaut – The Dreadnaut is an unstoppable beast. Fear him but work together to take him out. 20 kills as Juggernaut wins the game.

Capture the Flag – score the most points by capturing the other team’s flag and bring it back to your team’s base

Multi Flag CTF – Defend your flag while launching a coordinated attack on your enemy’s flag. 3 captures to win.
    CTF Classic – Defend your flag while capturing the enemy’s. 3 points wins, flag must be home to score, flag may be returned.
    1 Flag CTF – Take turns on offense/defense. A capture wins a round. Flag may not be returned. Rounds last 3 minutes. First to 3 wins.
    1 Flag CTF Fast – Intense 2 minute rounds of alternating offense/defense. A capture wins the round. Flag may not be returned. First to 3 wins.

Assault – score the most points by carrying, arming, and dropping you team’s bomb in the other team’s base

Multi Bomb – Defend your base while trying to deliver your bomb into the enemy’s base. 3 successful bombings wins.
    Single Bomb – Take turns on offense/defense. A successful bombing wins a round. First to 3 wins. No bomb return. Rounds last 3 minutes.
    Single Bomb Fast - Intense 2 minute rounds of alternating offense/defense. A successful bombing wins the round. Bomb may not be returned. First to 3 wins.
    Neutral Bomb – There’s just one bomb that starts in the middle. Use it to bomb the enemy base 3 times to win.
    Blast Resort – You have just one life and no motion sensor in this single bomb game. 10 second arming, 2 minute rounds, first to 3 wins.

Territories – Earn the most time by finding and controlling territories on the map

3 Plots – There are just 3 territories. Earn 3 minutes to control time before your opponents by owning a majority of them.
    Land Grab – Own a majority of territories to earn 5 minutes control time before your opponents.
    Gold Rush – Grab your pistol and load your shotgun! 2 minutes wins a round. Rounds last 3 minutes. First to 3 rounds wins.
    Control Issues – Bring out the big guns to fight for control of just 2 territories. Everyone has overshields, 5 minutes control time wins.
    Contention – There’s just one territory on the map. Work with your team to control it for 2 minutes to win.

2. Geoggy

Geoggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    captain - big list but you know you'll only be playing team survival ;)

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    I read you can't choose what game type you play when your stats are being recorded - only a vague description, or 'playlists' as Bungie call them. Apparently this way you can't just hammer one mode cos you're good at it, but have to play everything so the stats show the best all round player.

4. Rawschach

Rawschach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    this is going to be soooooo good. even if bungie had just bunged halo multiplayer out online it would have been fantastic but the new options, guns etc are pure icing on the greatest mulitplayer cake ever. bring it on.

5. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    Agreed - that is a very long list of playing modes.

I suppose I better have an early night tonight. Cos as of Friday it looks like I won't sleep for a week!

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    That sounds pretty lame, the stats should be recorded for each mode...... it would suck if you have to play modes you hate just to get stat scoring.

7. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I agree that would suck. :thumbsdow

8. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    I've not explained it very well, and I'm just going off what I've read in reviews.

Essentially your stats do get recorded separately for each mode, together with an overall skill level (it's all up at Bungie.net - you can link your Gamertag now) and when you choose to have a stats recorded match, you cannot pick a specific game type or host, but the software picks a room of similar skill with the best connection speed (unless of course you're joining a Friend's party).

The game types are then chosen and cycled by the software, not even by the host. Apparently the host dynamically switches anyway according to who has the best connection speed (which I assume means the highest upstream bandwidth).

Aparently this has proved very popular with the Beta testers, and means you don't just jump into random rooms who possibly have bad connections and/or different skill levels. To me it all sounds very well thought out, and it can of course be patched if it turns out to be unpopular.

9. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    all this talk of halo 2 is depressing just makes me remember the yanks get it 2moro and we have to wait till thursday :( i want it now

10. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    Bauer - there's a rumour that Game Liverpool have broken release already. I know someone has, cos I have people on my friends list playing now...

11. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I think it's gamestation but if it is game we all might have it by weds. :thumbsup:

12. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    You're right LFC - I didn't read it properly first time. But like I say, someone def has broken it if I have friends playing it...

13. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    :laugh:
    That was only on R6 BA - and only because the other modes had so many glitches they were unplayable.

14. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Shame there's no co-op mode included :(

15. Geoggy

Geoggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    no one on my list playing it but then i dont have any scousers on my friends list ;)

mine is still picking and packing with game online.

heres hoping for a weds delivery.

16. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    arrrrrrgggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i shall be in town tomorrow morning 9am sharp. please let this baby be true i'll be pleased as punch

17. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    o well must have been a rumour no game shops are selling halo 2. guess i have to wait tilll thursday

18. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    Internet rumours, eh - don't you just hate them? Sorry to get your hopes up!

19. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365