1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halo 2 Live Scores

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by mooro1973, Dec 21, 2004.

1. mooro1973

mooro1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    I have long suspected there is a problem with the scoring on Halo 2.

I've tried to search the official forums-not easy as they don't, as far as I can see, provide a search option.

Several times whilst playing slayer in the rumble pit, I haven't been awarded with a point for a kill I have made.

Last night though, I had 18 kills, thought "great just three behind the leader". Next life, killed another before being killed, and my score was down to 15!

No suicide which I know reduces your score.

I think it may be a lag issue.

A couple of times I have noticed the scoreboard flip down to a lower number of kills before flipping back up to the right total, almost instantaneously.

Does anybody have any experience of this?

2. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen scores drop to 0 before refreshing with the correct scores, but I haven't noticed losing points. Perhaps the netcode has given you credit for a kill that was actually an assist, and adjusted the scoring after the fact. I've definitely seen the opposite, in that I'll get points for a kill a few seconds after the enemy has died, though.

3. smokingreen

smokingreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Ive also only ever seen my score going up several seconds after I got a kill, but I have never lost multiple kills.

Do you usually have a good solid connection? I would imagine, as you thought, that when its happening it is a lag issue.

An article linked from the bungie website describes the details of the netcode, which I dont pretend to understand, but in principle I think it allows the client to estimate where oppents will be given their last position and direction. This then has to be verified by the host - so maybe your xbox gave you kills then the host said no no, the enemy wasnt actually where you shot him.

Of course that could all be rubbish!

4. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,384
    I think smokingreen and azikram are on the right lines here - when you're online, all players have their own version of 'reality' occuring at any one time, and this is then checked with the host machine who has the definitive version. If your version therefore doesn't correspond with the host, it may in theory be possible that it appears you have been 'deducted' kills.

But what actually happened was that your version of reality on your Xbox was wrong momentarily, and you never actually had those kills in the first place, so when it corrected, it looks like a deduction.

This is of course pure speculation, as I've only read that article on the networking on How To or wherever it was.

5. mooro1973

mooro1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Interesting.

Cheers for that.