Halo 2: anniversary confirmed as in developement by 343i

Crovon

Distinguished Member
The news is on cvg.

Can someone post a link, as I'm on the iPhone app and I can't do it :(

Anyway, it's being developed alongside halo 4.

sordid_sentinel

T'isn't. Some quotes from NeoGAF...

Frankie said:
StalkerUKCG said:
As far as H2A goes id really love it but nothing substantial yet at all regarding it all just grain of salt stuff.

Not even a grain of salt.

Frankie said:
HigherLevel said:
Frankie repeatedly denied Halo CE remake, therefore Halo 2 remake now confirmed.
I never ever denied the actual remake. Before it was green lit, you know, before we were ever going to make it, I denied it. Because that was true.

Jonesy012

Aside from the argument of whether it is or is not happening; I'd just like to say I would love for this to happen.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
Halo 2 is the least fun campaign for me, but had a great multiplayer. I wish they would make Halo 2 multiplayer as a Live Arcade title, so we can relive the good times that started Halo on Live. :)

Jonesy012

Halo 2 is the least fun campaign for me, but had a great multiplayer. I wish they would make Halo 2 multiplayer as a Live Arcade title, so we can relive the good times that started Halo on Live. :)
This.

The pre-armour ability MP had me hooked 24/7.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
nick501 said:
Just finished Halo 2 again last night and i have to agree. I just didnt want to play as the Arbitor, and the ending is just pants.

Co-op Legendary isn't as much fun as Combat Evolved either.

jason g

Distinguished Member

i thought the campaign was ok, not as good as combat evolved which has always been my favourite.

if they make an HD remake then it will suit both the campaign and MP lovers.

it won't be an XBLA title though it will be a retail game like combat evolved was.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
They canned Combat Evolved's multiplayer from Halo Anniversary, so I would be surprised if they invested time in rebuilding Halo 2's multiplayer Live component when they are going to invest time and money in new Halo titles.

jason g

Distinguished Member
They canned Combat Evolved's multiplayer from Halo Anniversary, so I would be surprised if they invested time in rebuilding Halo 2's multiplayer Live component when they are going to invest time and money in new Halo titles.

there was multiplayer, it played on the reach engine, so it wasn't the original mp gameplay of CE but it played as reach mp, you could play the CE maps though, so it was basically CE maps on the CE game itself but as the reach MP you could play the MP either via the reach disc or CE disc, you got tokens i think to download the maps to the reach disc IIRC.

anyone who played via the reach disc could play online with people who were using their CE disc, i think there was an anniversary playlist to tie the 2 together.

i do remember playing the mp on my CE disc as i got rid of reach.

Last edited:

ifrank castle

i hope halo 2 is remade and the online part is handled by halo 4's engine, i would buy a hd version of halo 2 without question if only for some of the online maps it had...

midship
lockout
foundation
sanctuary
turf
warlock
burial mounds
ivory tower

i could go on with names, but guarentee most will be thinking...what is this guy on about?

funnily enough all these maps are 'smaller' maps compared to what halo 4 has so far given us, and imo i think these would have alot more 'fun' value to them. also it would give those who missed this sequel an oppotunity to have a go on some 'decent maps' for a change...

Jonesy012

i hope halo 2 is remade and the online part is handled by halo 4's engine, i would buy a hd version of halo 2 without question if only for some of the online maps it had...

midship
lockout
foundation
sanctuary
turf
warlock
burial mounds
ivory tower

i could go on with names, but guarentee most will be thinking...what is this guy on about?

funnily enough all these maps are 'smaller' maps compared to what halo 4 has so far given us, and imo i think these would have alot more 'fun' value to them. also it would give those who missed this sequel an oppotunity to have a go on some 'decent maps' for a change...
Oh man I loved Halo 2, I agree in full. Those names mean a lot to me, as do the ones you didn't mention. The other night I said the same thing, Halo isn't CoD and the long-rang, bigger maps and sprint are all taking it away from what it was.

Now I agree with sprint, but the DMR and other rifles shouldn't be a focus. I miss dual weilding and the close-quarters combat of Halo 2. It is understandable 343i are making games to compete with CoD but I feel the old feeling with Halo 1/2 multiplayer is much more appealing to the 3/Reach/4 systems.

Also, Halo 2 was released in November 2004 was it not? We would be looking at Halo 5 more likely, or at the very end of the Halo 4 product lifecycle. It would make more sense to wait for Halo 5 and use that for the MP - or, even better, make it independent.

It would compete but frankly I'd play Halo 2 more than Halo 5 unless they make some changes which will never happen. Still the peak for me is old 2.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member

midship
lockout
foundation
sanctuary
turf
warlock
burial mounds
ivory tower

Best halo mp ever! Turf rocked.

jason g

Distinguished Member
halo 2 i think will get an HD remake just like CE, the MP will run on the reach engine just like CE did.

halo 5 will be made for the next gen console, just like there will be another gears of war and call of duty.

those 3 games im guessing will make their appearance on the next gen console at some point.

Jonesy012

halo 2 i think will get an HD remake just like CE, the MP will run on the reach engine just like CE did.

halo 5 will be made for the next gen console, just like there will be another gears of war and call of duty.

those 3 games im guessing will make their appearance on the next gen console at some point.
I'd put a bet on that, but I doubt the return would be worth writing home about :p

Add FIFA and Forza to the accumulator while at it.

Holodrone

If they do do it, it won't be Reach, it'll be 4 or 5.

I definitely think they should bring back dual wielding. I hope one day we will get the ultimate Halo game, where they throw everything in...

Off the top of my head, equipment from H3, Firefight, Invasion and some other modes from Reach... I'm sure there's a lot of others... everything about Halo 3 was really great, it was the 360's killer app IMO, and Reach and H4 haven't captured that quite as much.

The maps in H3 seemed more adventurous... bring back moving elements like the Elephant in Sandtrap. It seems every time they introduce something new, they leave something out.

jason g

Distinguished Member
If they do do it, it won't be Reach, it'll be 4 or 5.

it was already mentioned about they used the reach engine so it could be used with players playing reach MP as well as those playing CE, im pretty sure they will do the same with the halo 2 MP, i cannot be 100% on that but i would think they won't want to change what they did with CE.

Jonesy012

it was already mentioned about they used the reach engine so it could be used with players playing reach MP as well as those playing CE, im pretty sure they will do the same with the halo 2 MP, i cannot be 100% on that but i would think they won't want to change what they did with CE.

But won't the next 10 year anniversary be in late 2004? 2 years away and using the Reach engine? Well, they might be able to use the engine and revive the multiplayer but I would hope it will be tweaked. It would fail regardless unless the weapons behave like in Halo 2.

The maps in H3 seemed more adventurous... bring back moving elements like the Elephant in Sandtrap. It seems every time they introduce something new, they leave something out.

I thought that, in fact, I remember talking with you about that when we did the campaign together. Every game it seems they have some great ideas, and some horrible ones - whether it is in leaving something out, or a terrible idea going in.

For me taking out dual wielding was a way to mimic and appeal to Call of Duty owners, as in this game was adding sprint and more long range warfare. I like Halo 4 MP but I prefer classic close-quarters Halo gameplay with a few long-range weapons thrown in. The BR and Sniper did fine, the BR not so long-range that it would be an overpowered and overused weapon.

It makes perfect sense they should want to pull in some of the success of CoD, but CoD just is not Halo at its core and the closer we move away from the MP formula Bungie established in 2 the less appealing it will become for fans.

Holodrone

Lol, you're right about them wanting to make it compatible with Reach, but by the time H2 Anniversary is out, Reach will be history. They'll most likely do the same, but use Halo 4 or 5's multiplayer.

jason g

Distinguished Member
Lol, you're right about them wanting to make it compatible with Reach, but by the time H2 Anniversary is out, Reach will be history. They'll most likely do the same, but use Halo 4 or 5's multiplayer.

the only other way they could do it is to have CE, halo 2, and reach all work on either the halo 4 or 5 engine, as they will want to have all the maps to work, after all they will want some way to milk the series and the maps are always the route they use.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Focal launches Bathys noise-cancelling wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Formovie Theater UST projector hits the UK
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up