Halloween R2??

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by tee, Sep 26, 2001.

1. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I've already got the US R1 release but it's only the single disc version and not the soon to be released 2-disc containing the TV edit. I'm obviously interested in the forthcomming R2 release but am slightly concerned about cuts made by the BBFC. A couple of reviews mention that cuts were made but both were unable to be specific as to what exactly these cuts were.

Does anyone know? Is it worth "upgrading" to the R2 version? Also, I know this isn't important but what packaging will it be in?

Cheers

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    Halloween has never been cut by the BBFC. The only cuts made to the version being released here were by US TV network NBC, or ABC, or whoever it was that showed it. As usual in the US, a TV version often exists that contains more footage than the theatrical cut in order to make it fill a timeslot. In this case, the TV network cut some bits from the film but then added a further 12 minutes (shot by Carpenter during production of Halloween 2) to bump up the running time. This new TV version then aired in the US and is available on this set on the 2nd disc. The theatrical version of Halloween hasn't been cut in the UK. If you've already got the US THX single disc set I wouldn't bother with this UK version, it'd probably be worthwhile just getting the recently released Halloween TV version from the US as you'd then have pretty much everything that's in this set.<br />As it turns out the UK 2 disc set won't be containing the Criterion commentary that was reported a few months back. Shame. They said it would aswell, the bounders.

So basically, there's no BBFC cuts, just the "full" theatrical version and the extended TV version (which is slightly cut for US TV).