Halloween II 30th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Chris McEneany, 14th September 2011.
Although not a patch on the original, Rick Rosenthal’s Halloween II is one of those cult gems that remains terrific fun. It plays directly after the events of the first movie and is, therefore, one of those rare horror sequels that acts as a great continuation of the tale, rather than as a half-baked contrivance or semi-remake. However, the downsides are that John Carpenter wasn't at the helm, and his screenplay makes a mockery of the suspense and the mystery of his classic original, not to mention dumbing-down his two lead protagonists of Laurie and Loomis. But even if the film is chock-a-block with stupid people doing illogical things, there remains the ever-glorious dark avenger of Michael Myers to keep the spirit of Samhain alive … and bloody.

For something boasting the tag of a 30th Anniversary Edition, there is little here in the way of supplemental material that is worth the time or the effort, and this hardly feels like much of a celebration. But, this said, I'm quite smitten with Universal's transfer. With mammoth black levels and nice bright colours, the image looks vibrant and atmospheric. Detail provides a definite upgrade and, despite a rather unfortunate speckling of pops and flecks, Dean Cundey's awesome cinematography is wonderfully presented. The DTS 5.1 track has some weight to it, as well. So, all in all, this is a worthy upgrade that I have no hesitation in recommending.

All together now …

“Mr. Sandman … bring me a dream.

Make him the cutest that I've ever seen ...”

Read the full review...

Nice review Chris, I think I'll wait for bargain bin on this one. I thought there might have been a nice 5.1 lossless track with this.

Nice review Chris, I think I'll wait for bargain bin on this one. I thought there might have been a nice 5.1 lossless track with this.
Where can I find this version for EU/UK region?
Thx! 🙂

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom