1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halloween Anchor Bay

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by r.vernon1, Jul 28, 2002.

1. r.vernon1

r.vernon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help help me with this one. I have the Halloween 2 disk anchor bay. I assume its R2, it has a 18 cert on it. It has the hologram on the front, pumkin/mask. Is it worth anything and is it now oop, making it rarer?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

2. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This disc is still available and widely discounted.

Play247.com have it at 12.99 I think and I have recently seen it for less than a tenner somewhere.

3. r.vernon1

r.vernon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    ah thanks mate for the info

4. I J S

I J S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I picked it up for £8.99 from Big W a few months ago now and have seen it for £7.99 in Music Zone recently.

It's the Region 1 version that masquerades under Anchor Bay's infamous "Limited Edition" tag that's supposedly worth something, even though it has carries the same extras as it's Region 2 counterpart. Also, i'm sure i read on dvdfile.com that there's yet another version being released later this year on Region 1! Anchor Bay clearly have an altogether different definition of the word "Limited".

5. Dittohead

Dittohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anchor Bay are releasing all the Halloween films as a 6 disc box set, It'll be released on 30 September. Details

This'll be a must have for any horror fan!

6. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +857
    The US part of Anchor Bay are releasing another version of Halloween, with the Criterion commentary and another bunch of "exclusive" extras that weren't on any of the previous releases.

That Halloween boxed set's a con-job as there's only a couple of good film's in the whole series which the real fans have already bought numerous times anyway, as and when Anchor Bay have re-released them again and again as "limited" editions. I'm a horror fan and I have to say it's a mustn't have. One decent film I've already bought numerous times, a couple of passables and a load of crap doesn't make a "must have" box set of discs.

Expect a lot more of this re-release crap to be going on from Anchor Bay (US), their main horror film "finder" Bill Lustig (director of slasher classic Maniac) has recently left the company and set up his own, Blue Underground, with a rosta of exploitation and horror classics of yesteryear released as special editions for the discerning genre fan. Contamination, Emanuelle in America, Shockwaves, The Toolbox Murders, The Prowler etc etc are all coming very soon, and Blue Underground are definitely the ones to watch over the coming months. If you're a real genre fan that is (not someone that just discovered horror films with the latest Scream-a-like movie).
    Bill Lustig leaving Anchor Bay will have the same effect as when Don May left Elite to set up Synapse.

7. Dittohead

Dittohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, sorry I must not be a real fan then. Personally no I haven't bought the films numerous times just to get more extras each time but then thats just a personal choice.

Only owning the VHS copies of Halloween 1,2,3,4 and H2O, for me being a fan of most of the Halloween series the box set is a must have.

You criticise Anchor Bay for continually re-releasing the same films as limited editions yet go on to say that you buy the film numerous times. Why? If people didn't keep buying them they wouldn't keep releasing them.

Agreed there are a couple of terrible films in the Halloween saga, Part 3 most notably, but of the films you mentioned, Toolbox Murders is the only one I've seen and personally thought it was one of the biggest pile of s**t I have ever had the misfortune to see. Does that mean I am not a real fan of the horror genre?

I have been watching horror movies since the mid 80s so no I didn't just become a fan since watching the latest Scream like movie. But so what if i had? If anyone watching Scream or something of the like developed a taste for horror and started to discover many of the older classic films what is the problem with that? Are they not a real fan?

Don't want to be argumentative but I found your post very antagonistic.

Cheers.

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Dittohead,

I think I can safely say that Rambo John J wasn't being deliberately antagonistic. I think, from what I know of him through the many posts he has written, is that like many others, people are a little annoyed at certain firms re-releasing horror films as so-called "Limited Editions", when they are only limited in the sense of the number of copies being produced.

They are not "Limited Editions" in the sense that once a particular set has sold out, that that will be it, for a long, LONG time. As such, I can understand his anger at this.

You said: "You criticise Anchor Bay for continually re-releasing the same films as limited editions yet go on to say that you buy the film numerous times. Why? If people didn't keep buying them they wouldn't keep releasing them."

Well, the thing is, Rambo didn't say he kept on buying any particular title numerous times. I think the point he was making, was that people do buy them multiple times, because they don't want to miss out on a (supposedly) limited "Limited Edition DVD", that could end up being highly collectible. And it grates and gets on people's tits (so to speak), when a company is actually just re-releasing a movie, but marketing as a limited edition, when it isn't limited at all!

Also, even if people didn't buy a certain title in large amounts, that doesn't mean that the companies would stop releasing a certain movie. A company can have a bad or low-selling title, for many reasons. However, it would only be after a major profit loss would they then have to stop releasing titles. I'm sure there are numerous DVD companies out there, that sell less than a 1000 units of some titles, but still manage to just about make a profit. And I'm also certain, that some of that same companies titles, don't always sell even in 3 figures!

You also said: "I have been watching horror movies since the mid 80s so no I didn't just become a fan since watching the latest Scream like movie. But so what if i had? If anyone watching Scream or something of the like developed a taste for horror and started to discover many of the older classic films what is the problem with that? Are they not a real fan?"

I have to agree with Rambo on this one, I'm afraid. Watching any modern day film, that actually rips-off numerous more intelligent and satisfying horror movies, from the past 20 years or so, isn't actually clever. I like Wes Craven, and he has done a lot for the horror genre, but the "Scream" series, isn't as great as a lot of people think. It's more a loose collection of in-jokes, than anything else.

And I doubt if anyone watching "Scream" would develop a taste for horror movies, just from that one movie. Most people would probably already be fans of the horror genre.

As for them being a "real fan", or not, well, there is as much to be said for the argument, as there is against it. Just beause I, for example, watch "Gone With The Wind", I can't then call myself a Classic Movie Fan. I know that sounds really elitist, in a way, but it's a fact. Personally speaking, I think there's a big difference between being a fan of a certain type of movie, and someone who just watches a certain type.

Pooch

9. r.vernon1

r.vernon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Hi lads

Thankyou for all the replys, the information was very interesting. Please don't fight over something like this, you are all clearly knowlegable horror fans. I have learn't that I can enjoy my copy of Halloween simply as a truley classic film in perfect picture and sound, and nothing more. It seems it is no more limited than a digestive biscuit.

Once again thanks for the info, and in the true sense of my liverpudlian ancestors, 'eh....calm down, calm down'

Thanks

Rob :)

10. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +857
    My fault, sorry. I should have read it through and worded it a bit (lot) less like I was having a pop at you. Which I wasn't.

That "real" genre fans thing was more about people with a broad and varied taste in horror films that they like, rather than just the self-aware modern post-scream clones that there seem to be the vogue among younger folks these days. Again, it wasn't aimed at you personally, it was one of those sweeping generalisations that people are prone to making when they're off on a rant. Personally, I've never met anyone that discovered horror films with the Scream clones that actually went on to like any of the older movies, but that's obviously not a rule, just personal experience that came from when I was involved with horror film fan site Splatterhouse (RIP) and came into contact with a lot of new and old genre fans.

Erm, thanks to Pooch for covering my arse:blush:
    On refection I feel a bit of a tit now:rolleyes:

11. Dittohead

Dittohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rambo, no need to apologose, think I quite obviously took it out of context, as Pooch quite quickly made me realise :blush: .

No hard feelings.

12. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Awwwwwwww

I love it when everyone makes friends:)

13. Rambo John J

Rambo John J