1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halloween 25th

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by bboy-mass, Oct 27, 2003.

1. bboy-mass

bboy-mass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi guys,

Im a big Halloween fan, and I was thinking of buying the new
    25th DiviMax print. I already have the THX Limited edition, so
    will I see the difference in Video and audio on this new version from Anchor Bay?.

R.

:D

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    I doubt it, look in the review section for my review of the 25th Divimax edition. It has 5.1 like the THX edition, and I doubt that's any different. I also believe (I'm speculating here) that they've used the same video transfer from the Limited THX edition...they wouldn't have made a 2nd lot of tweaks imho.

The big thing going for the 25th edition is the extras, including the commentary.

3. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Matt,have they not tweaked the colours on this release.Im sure ive read that the famed blue tinted scenes are totaly different???
    Im sure this is a new picture from the THX edition.

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    You may be right, but I bet it's just the "colour" they've changed: I'm not entirely sure though, as this is the only version I've seen.

5. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,987
    My understanding is that the 25th edition is a brand new HD telicine transfer, will check with Anchor Bay PR.

6. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a brand new transfer and there have been complaints that the color scheme is all wrong but the director of cinematography oversaw the transfer so id be happy to buy this version.

7. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Dean Cundey, the director of photography on Halloween, was actually involved with the THX edition, the transfer of which he officially approved, and had nothing to do with this new DIVX release AFAIK.

There's been much discussion over this new transfer vs. the THX one and while the new transfer seems to be sharper, more detailed and an overall cleaner print it does loose much of the stylised colour that Cundey employed to great effect.

There are screen grab comparisons over at DVD File which show clearly how different certain scenes now look - for e.g.. the strong blue tint that was present in many of the night-time scenes is now either quite subdued or missing completely!

I've no idea why Anchor Bay chose to do this, but I for one like the colour timing in the THX/Cundey approved DVD - it's much more like the film that I remember seeing years ago at the cinema and on countless VHS/TV viewings than the images I've seen from this new DVD - and I'll be keeping my original 2 disc set.

However, I have ordered the new 25th anniversary edition just for the new feature length documentary and the commentary track from the old Criterion Laser Disc - it was a major disappointment when AB couldn't licence it for the THX release so it's great for those of us who never owned a LD player to be able to finally hear it.

The 25th anniversary edition is available at www.pricestorm.com for £9.99, which is excellent for a new release.

One final comment about the two transfers...while it does seem as though it will come down to a matter of personal taste as to which one is "better", take note of the following which were posted over at the Home Theater Forums by Felix Martinez...

1st post -

"Good Lord, I've just seen the screenshots at DVDFile and have just e-mailed Carpenter and his wife/producer, Sandy King, to confirm if this change was sanctioned."

then much later in the thread...

2nd post -

"I finally heard back from Sandy. John has not seen the "new" color timing, and he said he had nothing to do with it. So, for the record (finally!!) the only "authorized" version by anyone associated with the "look" of Halloween is the '99 transfer and color correction that DP Cundey participated in and approved. All other discussion is simply a matter of preference (which is fine!)."

8. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a member of those forums and i seem to recall someone sayin Dean Cundey supervised this new transfer too, they even supplied a link to a site detailing this, if i can find it i'll post the link.