Hall Lighting - Multiple recessed spots.

norfbech

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience of those multiple recessed downlights as per below:

Mulitple recessed Lights.

I've purchased around 10 fire rated downlights which I'll split over two reception rooms (ceilings are currently down), but I've seen a lot of these of late...and I really like the look. These particular ones (as an example) are GU10's, but I'm hoping to replace with LED's (have installed some outside and I'm really pleased with them).
Pretty sure (looking at the attached documentation and the fact they are enclosed) they are fire rated. They have to be as for the hall, I'm adding a drop ceiling which may or may not be made from MDF (the lower drop section). Speaking with someone who installs these type of ceilings for a living suggested that over another layer of Plasterboard.

This is a rough mock up of the ceiling in question (not at all to scale - approx 3.5m x 1.8m, but there is the cut out section where the stairs are). Could possibly have a set of three followed by either a set of two or a couple of single ones....it's not a large hall by any means.

Floatingceilinghall2-1.png

Really after a bit of info from anyone who has used them in a similar situation (or any situation to be fair).

Many thanks.

Why do they need to be fire rated? It looks like the ones in your link are not fire rated.

These lights are mostly used in commercial installations such as shops, but are becoming more popular in houses.

What is it you need to know?

Why do they need to be fire rated? It looks like the ones in your link are not fire rated.

These lights are mostly used in commercial installations such as shops, but are becoming more popular in houses.

What is it you need to know?

I have purchased a dozen or so Fire rated spotlights - single spots for a couple of rooms. These are the fire rated ones (with the built in enclosure). These are going in the downstairs ceilings (currently 'ceilingless' as I've taken them all down). The studio lights I've linked to will be going in the downstairs hall, and possibly in the living room. Initially they are going to be halogens, but over time replaced with LED's. I'd feel happier if they have that extra barrier of fire rating in the home.

As it happens, although it doesn't state on the description of those lights above that they are fire rated, the fact they are already in an 'enclosure' points to perhaps they in someway fire rated (over the older model halogen spot lights), but the PDF info guide does indeed include the F in a triangle (suitable for mounting on normally mountable surfaces). Again, it's only a matter of time before these will include LED's anyway.

PDF guide to those lights

Just a little curious to see these 'in action' in domestic settings from users on these forums. I'm going to pick up a couple (3's and 2's) and give them a whirl....

Cheers.

They just dont look fire rated to me as the holes in the sides have no intumescent seal on them so fire could pass through them.
The 'F' in the triangle means they can be mounted on/recessed into flammable surfaces such as wood, this doesnt mean theyre fire rated.
In a house there is no requirement for the use of fire rated fittings, only between flats or in a garage ceiling with a room above.

Thanks Ash - aye, it does state 'suitable for mounting on normally flammable...' - I presumed this was part 'fire rated' but I can why they aren't now. I may shop around and see if they're are any fire rated versions...I understand there is no specific requirement (at the moment?) for use in homes, and perhaps I'm being over cautious but I guess it's just piece of mind. In saying that, there's every chance I'll stick LED's in them (if I absolutely have to have these lights).
I'm actually creating a part drop ceiling from MDF, so I guess the minimum would have to be the aforementioned F in triangle symbol.

Really wanted to know re the fire rating query but also feedback from anyone on these boards who have used them (domestically at least). I've seen them a few times commercially and think they'd look good (bearing in mind one man's meat is another man's ITV...) in my home.

Many thanks.

In a house there is no requirement for the use of fire rated fittings, only between flats or in a garage ceiling with a room above.

To expand a little on this. The important point to remember is that anytime a hole is made (eg to fit a downlight) in a ceiling which is classed as a fire barrier, that barrier is compromised.

Whether a ceiling is so classed will depend upon the construction and layout of the property. For example, where a loft conversion adds a second floor then there will be a requirement that the existing ceilings/floors provide a suitable fire barrier.

This can be achieved in a number of ways. However, once suitably uprated, if you then pepper the ceilings with downlights you have to consider how you will maintain/replace the integrity of the fire barrier.

One method is to use fire rated fittings. Another is to use 'standard' fittings and cover them with a intumescent hood or similar fire rated covering.

Essentially the requirement, therefore, is not for a fire rated fitting per se, but that the integrity of the fire barrier be maintained (by any of the acceptable methods).

regards

jeff

To expand a little on this. The important point to remember is that anytime a hole is made (eg to fit a downlight) in a ceiling which is classed as a fire barrier, that barrier is compromised.

Whether a ceiling is so classed will depend upon the construction and layout of the property. For example, where a loft conversion adds a second floor then there will be a requirement that the existing ceilings/floors provide a suitable fire barrier.

This can be achieved in a number of ways. However, once suitably uprated, if you then pepper the ceilings with downlights you have to consider how you will maintain/replace the integrity of the fire barrier.

One method is to use fire rated fittings. Another is to use 'standard' fittings and cover them with a intumescent hood or similar fire rated covering.

Essentially the requirement, therefore, is not for a fire rated fitting per se, but that the integrity of the fire barrier be maintained (by any of the acceptable methods).

regards

jeff

I'll continue to see if I can get 'fire rated' multiples i.e. built with their own intumescent enclosures/capping. The spots I've purchased so far are the enclosed versions, but I haven't seen any of these multiples/studio style lights with those (I did initially believe the ones linked above were until ash pointed out they most likely weren't). Perhaps there are hoods for these multiples or perhaps I could craft them from PB...failing that find some that are placed upon the ceiling rather than within. I'd prefer to err on the side of caution...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom