1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halfords Apollo bikes - any good?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dr Diversity, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Prices seem good and they are kitted out with Shimana shifters. I am not after top of the range gear - just robust and reliable.
    Any experience of these beasts? I have always had Raliegh until now.

Looking at the XC.26s

Wheel size 26"
    7005 aluminium frame with suspension fork and aluminium crown
    Off road style bike with front suspension
    21 speed Shimano gears with SRAM gripshift and TX30 rear mech
    Tektro front disc and aluminium rear front type brake with aluminium levers
    Innova 26 x 2.0 QR wheels
    Suntour chainset with aluminium cranks
    Ahead stem
    Dual density handlebar grips

2. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Awfull,awfull bike.

Sorry...

Its in the detail, the kit may be good but its what the bikes held together with that is important. Unfortunately, alot of 'jelly metal' is used. The bolt heads round off very easily if anything neads adjusting.

Go for Halford's Carrera range as they are better value or try Claude Butler/ Dawes for VFM

http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=18880&type=0&cat=144

if your budget can stretch:

http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=18882&type=0&cat=144

One hint of moisture and the Appllo will fall apart.

I only suggest these as I've built around a 1000 + second hand and new bikes for people.You get to know what is good and bad.

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I have an Apollo. Not a bad bike - does the job with suspension forks etc and is a good ride. However slightly heavy and it only has grip shift gear change which is not so good in my opinion.

If I were a serious biker I would upgrade but not bad for £159.99 - which I use to get to and from work.....

Pete.

4. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    If you want it for tootling about on and maybe abit of 'easy' off road - then its fine.

If you want to be serious about off road riding .... avoid. Basically alright for novices and kids just getting used to riding.

( at least thats my experience )

5. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    well, you get what you pay for...just don't try rising off road with one!!

my ex bought one, but was her first bike tho...

6. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    another thing .... avoid suspension bikes like the plauge at the cheap end.

If you want good cheap bike - get a solid non-suspension bike - if you want suspension .... you need to pay ALOT for it to work well.

A soild frame with the BEST groupset you can afford ( gears / cogs / crank etc ) is better than a suspension frame / alu jobbie with crap gears.

( they all say 'shimano' gears -- but there are cheap bottom end 'crap' shimano ... and the top end decent stuff like deore xt .... which you won't be getting on a sub £1k bike most likely )

Smooth shifting with little problems is worth more than a few lbs shaved off the frame.

suspension and such at the cheap end of ther market is a gimmick for the kids and people that don't know any better.

Depending on your build / weight - suspension can be a pain. Heavier you are, the more the suspension of cheap bikes will destort the tention in derailllers and mean your gear shifts start to go wrong.

I was going to suggest a Kona ... but I did a quick search and their bikes start at around £750 ;) ... not ridden for along time :(

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I've got an Apollo bike which is about 8 years old now. If solid and robust is what you're after then it definitely does the trick - I've only had to do minor maintenance (clean, oil and pump up the tires) and it's still going strong.

Mine has a steel frame so is quite heavy and has quite a lot of rust on the handlebar surface but it has spent many many days out in the rain. Rapid-fire gear change which is great and generally a solid bike. :)

8. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Before i started working in London some mates and i used to meet in the New Forest once a week after work during the summer for 20 or so miles and a pubs top on the way. In the 3 or so years we'd been doing this, it was always the fancy, expensive bikes that broke something - one was a Carrera which had several punctures due to spokes coming adrift and spearing the inner tube, and a broken set of forks.

The other one that shocked me was another friend's £1400 Rockhopper - he landed from a jump and the frame snapped clean in 2! :eek: He only narrowly missed having the broken rear section impaled up his chuff!

My mate's £10-from-a-car-boot-sale Raleigh never had any problems at all and neither did my £99 "Markro-special" Excel, despite being lifted and literally thrown over the odd stile on occasion! :smashin: I seriously debated keeping it, but my a*se was begging for some suspension, so i bought me one of these back in May and have been very pleased with it so far -

http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=20349&type=0&cat=415

9. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see the price appears to have hopped from £129.99 to £149.99 since last week :(. There is 1/3 off a second bike which we will be using. Also some bikes had £30 of free accessories with them. Looks like I am in for £250 though plus the extras like a few mud guards.

I am not into serious off roading, just bridle ways and the like. Not into any mad stuff becuase my son copies every stupid thing I do, ignoring the good bits!

Do they do any deals at Halfords? Can I try to strike a bargain, say getting a car rack at the same time with some discount?

10. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you ever consider Ebay DrD?

I know someone who scored himself an unbeleivable bargain via ebay for a Full-Sus Kona.

I have to say I'm genuinely surprised to hear that an 8 year old halfords bike is still going strong.. Whenever I see one of these Apollo type bikes in the flesh I get the impression going off of a kerb any bigger than 4 inches could leave you with serious injuries. They look scary to me :suicide:

If you can pick up a bargain 2nd hand bike then provided the components are quality items there is no reason why it shouldnt be as good as new with a bit of TLC.

Have a look at this.. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27947&item=7170361365&rd=1
    Note this one has Hydraulic brakes, if you havent experienced them, you will NOT beleive the difference over cable operated brakes, disc or V.

LOL, or even this.. Caught my eye at £150 but I'm "guessing" that will get bid-up a little bit more :eek: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27948&item=7170889518&rd=1

Kev

11. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kev, I am going there in a moment to see what I can find...

12. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any luck? You decided what you're going to get yet?

Kev