Halflife 2 Ep1

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just finished it, enjoyable but short. certainly not the value for money that half life, opposiog forces or even HL2 was.

but i guess they have got me by the balls now, will have to get ep2 and 3

MikeKay1976 said:
just finished it, enjoyable but short. certainly not the value for money that half life, opposiog forces or even HL2 was.

but i guess they have got me by the balls now, will have to get ep2 and 3

I agree - it's worth the $19.99 on Steam but not the £19.99 in the shops.

Starquake said:
I agree - it's worth the $19.99 on Steam but not the £19.99 in the shops.

just started condemned now...... excellent tension and christ it is certainly the most brutal game i have played.

graphics are stunning. You can tell its the fear engine, but i think it has been tweaked somewhat.

condemned for the PC is being overlooked far too much, its a fantastic game and it really shows off the FEAR engine. alot more so than fear itself did anyways.

semiskimmed was thinking of getting that game for the wife is the graphics and game play good on it m8. cheers as she is always twisting that i dont get her a game to play sorry for jumping in on this thread.

are you asking about condemned?
if so, it is one hell of a game. its getting overlooked far too much for me right now, whether or not its because it was released on the 360 first i dont know, but its by far the best single player game ive played this year :thumbsup:

semiskimmed was thinking of getting that game for the wife
You appreciate that large amounts of the game are spent clubbing people to death? It's a good game - don't get me wrong! Half Life 2: Episode 1 would be a better choice IMHO - but even then do women/girls really play FPS?

thats a bit sexualist isnt it? :rotfl: im sure some women must dream of bashing mens heads open
id rather buy condemned than EP1. condemned is a much more enjoayble game. its visually stunning too

Another vote for Condemned. I played it on 360 (together with surround sound, that is an essential part) and its the most immersive and scary game I've ever played.

semiskimmed said:
thats a bit sexualist isnt it? :rotfl: im sure some women must dream of bashing mens heads open
id rather buy condemned than EP1. condemned is a much more enjoayble game. its visually stunning too

EP1 is also visually stunning too. Great story and game.:smashin:

Yep i completed Ep one last week and was surprised how short it was even when given prior warnings about the games length.

I loved it though. I would rather pay £20 for a few hours of action packed gaming then £40 on a game i may play for a couple of hours and then never play again. In fact i may go through ep one again as i had loads of fun playing through it. The teaser trailer for ep 2 at the end has wetted my appetite more!

dude people dont buy hl2 for hl2 only..CSS is one of the best and most addictive/challenging games online...

i seriously suggest you start playing CSS which comes free with hl2...thats all i ever play for over 2 years

edit: o rite episode 1....

Eomer said:
EP1 is also visually stunning too. Great story and game.:smashin:

yeah, but condemned lasts so much longer, has great action and puzze elements. i only bought EP1 as im a HL2 fan and ive played the first lot of games, its more an expansion rather than a full on game imo.

CSS is one of the worst FPS ive played tbh too. ive never been able to get into it and its for the lack of trying either :(

semiskimmed said:
CSS is one of the worst FPS ive played tbh too. ive never been able to get into it and its for the lack of trying either :(

its all horses for courses really isnt it....

i like cs but dod is much more fun imho, and there is no waiting when you are dead for two campers who are just waiting for it to time out...

hl2 ep1 was far too short imho, and the end of it was a total anti-climax. Nothing new in the gameplay either
:thumbsdown:

just bought condemend as it was only a tenner at play.com http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/930905/Condemned/Product.html

fathazza said:
its all horses for courses really isnt it....

i like cs but dod is much more fun imho, and there is no waiting when you are dead for two campers who are just waiting for it to time out...

hl2 ep1 was far too short imho, and the end of it was a total anti-climax. Nothing new in the gameplay either
:thumbsdown:

just bought condemend as it was only a tenner at play.com http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/930905/Condemned/Product.html

ep1 one was short because it was essentialy an expansion pack like OpFor was for HL1.....altho the claims of the ep's being HL3 in disguise have much annoyed me....they really shouldnt do that...have 3 ep's if youlike, but have a HL3 at the end of it.......it isnt that difficult for them to make the ep's, they have the engine and stuff already, plenty of modders out there whip up small 1 hour HL based episodes, thats mebbe 2 or 3 people doing it in a couple months...surely a team as big as valve could manage it on the side while working on HL3...lol

CS:S rocks over DOD:S, ok DOD:S you respawn straight away (altho some CS:S servers have that ability too) but the gameplay just isnt as good imo.....as you say tho horses for courses.....

still, buying the ep's over steam means only £12 depending on exchange rate, i can live with forking out less than i spend on 2 hours at the cinema on a class game with 5 hours gameplay approx (ok for me it was 12 hours, not because i'm crap but because i love replaying gunfights the first time thru...about 10 times...lol)

im not having a ig, but what sort of things are so great about CSS? i just cant get the hang of it at all, ive thought the whole time playing, 'what do people see in this?' i like all the other FPS and can do fairly well at them too, but CSS i just stink.
and 5 hours for EP1 is very optimistic imo, i managed 3 hours and that was me exploring areas and not rushing, and i was dieing quite a bit too and having to replay sections etc. the bons with EP2 is that there are 2 new games being included :thumbsup:
team fortress 2 & Portal
so that will be much better value for money

just bought condemend as it was only a tenner at play.com [url said:
http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/930905/Condemned/Product.html[/url]

That is steal at that price. as for counterstrike, its not my bag either.

ps just got one of those zboards..... its great but a PITA typing on the gaming layout!!!

semiskimmed said:
im not having a ig, but what sort of things are so great about CSS? i just cant get the hang of it at all, ive thought the whole time playing, 'what do people see in this?' i like all the other FPS and can do fairly well at them too, but CSS i just stink.
and 5 hours for EP1 is very optimistic imo, i managed 3 hours and that was me exploring areas and not rushing, and i was dieing quite a bit too and having to replay sections etc. the bons with EP2 is that there are 2 new games being included :thumbsup:
team fortress 2 & Portal
so that will be much better value for money

well, with CS:S its a very competitive game.....you either do well, or you are cannon fodder...lol.......or you cheat......i hate people who cheat on it......you can tell the ones that do as well....once you use the SDK to make your own maps etc.....you realise just how the physics of the game work.......which mean spotting the hackers is easy......plus being admin for a long time on a server that was part of the steambans group......lol

CS:S is extremely tactical in competitive 5 man team mode..........public play (ie 12 or more aside) is more just a case of run around and hope you see the enemy before he sees you...lol....(depending on map too)......

but as a tactical game, tbh i cant see any other that beats it, and i'm more of a RTS fan myself.....but CS:s has something extra in it that RTS cant compete with....oh yeah, the personal thing...lol

Im firmly in the CSS camp. I used to hate it as well and im a huge fan of FPS games. I didnt find it fun at first as i was too used to Unreal Tournament and basically getting stuck in non stop!

The more i played CS the more i got into it and altho i still get wiped out on a regular basis i love the game. Very tactical and its a great feeling when your the last survivor on your team. Its also very funny when the counter terrorists just fail to defuse the bomb and you see there limp body blown across the screen!!

Top stuff :D

guys if you want to see why css can be fun have a cruise down at

cs.gamecommunity.co.uk:31578

Its well admined/moderated/full of very polite people/no tards/all about fun and not rank and stat whores...

great bunch of people

also if you're getting frustrated it's because you are new to the game most likely, just play it more often, get better and you will soon be very addicted and understand why it is so much fun..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom