Half price Sunfire or BK sub?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by callahan, Sep 19, 2007.

1. callahan

callahan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks to all the info on here and the replies to my other thread, I now know a bit more about subs and, as usual, my requirements have stretched a bit too.

Having a good look around and making a few phone calls I had narrowed it down to either the BK XLS200 or Monolith. However, a friend of mine has just suggested either the Sunfire D10 or D12 , which he can get for me at less than half price....

So pricewise they are all about the same. The size is an issue, but I may have found a way to hide a Monolith, although I'd still rather go for something smaller. So the question is whether or not a D10 or D12 is as good as either of the BKs, has anyone managed to compare them?

There's hardly any info on the web about the Sunfire D series, is this because they were no good or just overshadowed by the true sub etc?

Thanks for any help :)

2. callahan

callahan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Anyone?

Or am I just putting off the inevitable day when I order a Monolith and squeeze it into my living room? ;)

3. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    The TrueSub EQ offers neither the depth, low distortion, or volume capabilites below 50Hz that the Monolith can do for £1100 less.

I doubt the far cheaper D10 or 12 can do any better, but they are smaller than the Monolith and that's the trade. If you're looking for a way of squeezing a quart into a pint pot, it hasn't been doen yet.

Subs have three qualities at a given SPL - depth, distortion and size. Pick two and you have to forget the other one.

Russell

4. callahan

callahan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Very good point, it's a case of picking which ones are important and I know which are for me.

Out of interest though, are the XLS200 and SVS version (can't remember the numbers) just very effective applications of the 'small sub' thing, or still good quality subs in their own right?

Now all I need to do is find a location for the monolith that my wife is happy with :lease: :nono:

I've never bought any audio stuff 'sight unheard' (if you know what I mean) so I'm still a bit nervous about it.

Thanks again

5. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    They're good subs at their respective prices, no question. Like any sub below £4k (and even then), they all have their own compromises. Thing is, serious performance from a small box is expensive. Relax the need for a small box and the price of performance drops rapidly.

As regards buying a sub unheard? Well, the performance of a sub is very closely linked to the room it will be used in. The rooms dimensions and it's physical makeup (stud walls, suspended floors, etc) have a very big bearing on it's ultimate performance. Unless you actually get to hear the sub in your own room you haven't really heard it. Even the room mode calculators can only hint at a likely outcome. Throw in an alcove or two and all predictions go out of the window.

Further more, even a home demo is unlikely to give you the time to fine tune positioning within your room, unless time and a number of subs have taught you otherwise.

It's a pretty safe bet to buy a sub unseen as, unlike speakers, there is now a considerable database of performance data available online. The interpretation of the data may still be open to some discussion, but broadly speaking a flat response at high volume combined with low distortion is still a measure of a goodun.

Small subs with their relative paucity of low down output tend to be more forgiving of room placement, but I cannot (from personal experience) recommend that as a reason to buy one if a large one will fit. At any price a good biggun, will always beat a good smallun. Physics rules.

Russell

6. callahan

callahan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Excellent, many thanks.

The thought is to go for the forward firing version and put it next to my desk with my pc (well damped) on top. Hopefully my wife won't notice it there :rolleyes:

Now what colour to go for :D

7. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    I'd go for downward firing, zero chance of kicking the cloth/driver...especially it's under a desk.

8. callahan

callahan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It would be on the floor next to the desk, so not too tempting to kick. However, my kids might find it appealing.. how flimsy is the grill cloth?

I'm a bit worried that it's basically going into a corner so the downward firing version will be too boomy. Also, it's quite a bit wider than the ff so won't fit as well.

Are there any good pics of the finishes anywhere? The website isn't too great...