Half Price Offer - But Not When You've Got A Flat

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by vaughty, Dec 23, 2006.

1. vaughty

vaughty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I got my mum a DMTech TV/DVD player for xmas and thought I'd take advantage of the half price sky hd offer as I've just bought a new flat (all the connections are in on a communal dish). Curry's couldn't get through last week but gave me a number to ring so I could do it from the comfort of my home, fine I thought.

Just called Sky up now and had some woman tell me that Sky won't let me have the offer as the installation is on a communal dish. She said that Sky give my details to an independent retailer who does the installation for a flat and I order my channels through them!?! Is this right?

If anyone knows I be grateful if they'd let me know cause I close to going back to Curry's and getting a refund.

Cheers,

vaughty

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I think this is very poor, they would be quite willing to book you for an installation if you were paying full price but not in this instance. :thumbsdow Are they saying they don't do installs in flats anymore.

3. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    It may be that the management company have an exclusive deal with an installer. Such deals are typically very expensive - my mother was quoted £250 installation fee & a £200 annual maintenence fee on top of the Sky subs (unsurprisingly almost nobody has got Sky on that block).

4. vaughty

vaughty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would tend to agree about the management company if:

1) I didn't act on the purchase of the new build flat (Conveyancer by trade) and was in constant discussion with the builder about how we (the buyer's) would like the management company set up (it's transferred to the tenants after the first year).

2) I didn't even get to the point where I told the lady at sky where the flat was

It all seems like daylight robbery to me. they don't have to fit a dish, all they have to do is come to my flat and plug it in.

If I worked at Sky my brainwave would be to sell self-install packages where you go to Currys/Comet etc and buy the box you want complete with card. You then go home, plug it in, go online and select the channels you want and set up the direct debit. Sort of like free-view with top-up tv or whatever it's called.

Gonna wait till the new year now to see if the offer changes.

edit: The thing that really gets on my nerves is that I had to fight tooth and nail to get the builder to install a communal dish at the block of flats and to make sure it was compatible with Sky+/HD otherwise I wouldn't have bought the gaff. Now it seems Sky are thwarting me!! Do Sky not care that I want to pay the maximum monthly subscription for, well, ever? Their business practice in this instance does not seem to make any sense to me!

5. Mighty Gaz

Mighty Gaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we dont. not on communal dish systems anyway. if you can have your own dish, and depending on height, then fine. but we do not touch communal systems, rather we refer you to an independant who does. like spectrum UK or campbell & kennedy.

so no. sky do not do any installs onto communal dishes.

6. vaughty

vaughty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is this the case even if the dish is already installed and the connections have been run to the property?

Could this be where the confusion may be starting between myself and Sky?

I have the dish and all that I need is the box and card, sounds like an installers dream job to me or is it too easy and they prefer a challenge:rotfl:

7. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The answer is quite simple, don't tell them you live in a flat with a communal dish. Just make sure you have two feeds into the flat, and they are both active. Some management companies make a charge for activating the feeds.

8. blisteringblue

blisteringblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Or do a self install from a fleabay box? OK you might not get it for Half Price but at least you will get it? Your hard part is done you already have 2 feeds into the flat.

Back in my days of being a flat owner and sky analogue I just put 2 fingers up to the management company and installed my own dish. Luckily they went bust and the new company never said anything as it was already there !!

9. vaughty

vaughty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do I do about the card though? Had Sky with the person I was renting with but thy obviously want to keep it on as they're staying at the flat.

10. blisteringblue

blisteringblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Not sure about that one, assumed you already had SKY+

It is not a special card for HD though, a standard viewing card will do, they just pair it to the box to turn HD on. I am still using my original Sky+ and Sky digital cards with my current setup.

11. vaughty

vaughty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone do me a favour, go to Sky.com and try and create an online order for Sky HD and all of the channels. I can get it to work without Sports or without movies but I want both of them.

12. Mighty Gaz

Mighty Gaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes. we do not install at all on a communal dish system. at all. and the advice to not tell them may work, but then you will find that many engineers upon arriving will just not install it.

do you even have 2 feeds from the dish? many communal systems only have 1.

13. vaughty

vaughty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah I've got two feeds (marked Sky1 and Sky2), I made sure the builder/developer installed the 'right' equipment so that I wouldn't have any problems.

14. Mighty Gaz

Mighty Gaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the reason sky does not do this themselves is down to the warranty. on a sky install, sky gives a one year warranty. if we are unable to do this on all the equipment, we dont install. the engineers are also not trined to deal with any issues with these systems. we pass everyone with a communal dish to an approved independant company.